Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Time

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Time

Postby Swede » 08 01, 2023 •  [Post 1]

We are elk hunters here and most of us, I believe, have a choice in when we go hunting. I am still fortunate enough to go for the entire archery season, if I want or need to be out that long. I prefer the first week, but the last week is nearly as good for me. Early September and late September would be my preferred times/dates. What I am wondering is when do you go elk hunting, and why do you choose that particular time? Does it give you a little advantage or is it just a custom?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Hunting Time

Postby Lefty » 08 01, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I believe Im not typical. All retired except for my wifes and our daughter's projects :shock:

Last year for Idaho's Archery elk hunt I spent 3 nights at home, We had deep snow so I didn't chase elk with a muzzleloader.
I wouldn't say I hunt hard but do have some days that at night I need more rest :lol:
2021 I spent 43 days with the elk.

My preferred times to hunt,,,

with my grandaughter and when my wife comes up to camp

20210903_140925_06.jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 02, 2023 •  [Post 3]

I used to have a job where I would only get 2-3 days to hunt a year…I would try and work it out to where it was around the 15-24 or so. Then I switched areas and hunted a closer area. I was able to hunt more afternoons and a 2 trip because of work. I switched jobs 5 years ago and for hunting it was a game changer. I’m able to take off a couple weeks in September now. The last 3 years I have hunted a majority of September. This year we are a little short on staff and so I might not get all the time I am wanting but I will still be in the mountains some every week.

If I’m sitting stands it really doesn’t matter to me. If I’m calling I’m wanting to be out around the 15-24
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 08 03, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Some areas it really does not matter which week you are out tree stand hunting except for the weather. In some areas it makes a big difference. I think I will start a thread a little later on the tree stand forum to explain.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 08 04, 2023 •  [Post 5]

In WA when we hunted the modern firearm season, it was 9 days long so we usually hunted the whole thing. The last few years hunting in Idaho we hunted the opener because elk were still herded up and relatively easy to find. The season there runs deep into November though, and we have discussed going late to hunt after most people have left and weather has moved animals around some.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan