Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Any body have a good snake story?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Any body have a good snake story?

Postby six » 07 13, 2023 •  [Post 1]

20 years ago we were packing a bull out in Western Colorado. Elevation was around 6000 feet. Its 11pm and we are bringing out our first load. I have a lantern in one hand, a walking stick in the other, and a full pack.

I hear tic tic tic and in my Michigan brain I'm thinking what is a grasshopper doing out here at this time of night. As I got closer (too close) I noticed a timber rattler all curled up under a rock. He was eye level with me and 5' away. I about messed my shorts. I slowly backed away and took a different route.

In hindsight I believe he was just telling me he was there.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Re: Any body have a good snake story?

Postby Tigger » 07 13, 2023 •  [Post 2]

No. and I want to keep it that way!
Tigger

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 13, 2023 •  [Post 3]

You looked the devil right in the eye and lived to tell the story!

I hate snakes. One area that we have hunted in our unit has a decent amount of elk but also a decent amount of snakes. I hate hunting the area. I would take the grizzly bears over the rattlesnakes
Elkhunttoo

Postby wawhitey » 07 13, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Elkhunttoo wrote:. I would take the grizzly bears over the rattlesnakes

Seriously?
I can give a snake an attitude adjustment with a stout stick. You gonna whoop a grizz with a stick? Ill take the snakes, you can keep the grizz.
Attachments
20190806_081713-800x600.jpg
20190806_081713-800x600.jpg (136.1 KiB) Viewed 594 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 13, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Not a fan, especially the poisonous ones. Shoot ‘em all, let god em out. ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 07 13, 2023 •  [Post 6]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Shoot ‘em all, let god em out. ;)

Even this widdle guy?
Attachments
rsz_img952016062695193553.jpg
rsz_img952016062695193553.jpg (56.39 KiB) Viewed 587 times
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 13, 2023 •  [Post 7]

Aaaarrrrrrggggghhhh, gross, barf, yak. One WT demerit for you mister.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 07 14, 2023 •  [Post 8]

This may be double jeopardy, but I don't care. Another Wapiti Talk demerit for you whitey! You should have enough demerits by now to get something from the gift shop!
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 07 14, 2023 •  [Post 9]

If demerits was nickels, id have a pretty good heap of nickels by now. Heres one more, double down i will. Juvenile yellow belly racer, was hanging out by my tent.
Attachments
index-2.jpeg
index-2.jpeg (127.18 KiB) Viewed 577 times
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 07 14, 2023 •  [Post 10]

As much time as I spend in potential snake country.
I've only seen four rattlesnakes in my life.

One was while I was hunting I sat on this big flat shale looking rock and a snake rattled right underneath me.

Another snake I had my wife long on a ATV trip where I elk hunt and to me it seemed really huge A real thick rattlesnake I was going to get something the club it with and my wife freaked out.
That snakes slides slithered so fast quite amazing.
I brought Dave along because he wanted to hunt elk with me in the desert.

Driving down on two track I heard rattlesnake on Dave's side of the truck, at snake turned into a hat band Dave also looked up a bunch of recipes rattlesnake has almost no flavor at all
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 07 14, 2023 •  [Post 11]

My brothers lived at a place that they eventually found out that snakes were living in the old farmwell by the dozens and dozens, The well was lined with limestone rock seemed like every big rock that's stuck in had a snake on it
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 07 15, 2023 •  [Post 12]

wawhitey wrote:If demerits was nickels, id have a pretty good heap of nickels by now.

About like this.
Attachments
20230715_215105_copy_800x600.jpg
20230715_215105_copy_800x600.jpg (150.5 KiB) Viewed 564 times
wawhitey

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 18, 2023 •  [Post 13]

When I was a kid,(about 9 or 10 years old) I liked to explore the nearby creek bottom and pretend I was an Indian. I even had a tomahawk which was nothing more than a rock tied on a forked stick with a chicken feather on it for decoration. Ya, I know, kinda corny. But something a 10 year old Indian would be proud of.

Anyhow, back to the snake story. I was wadding along in the creek when I spied a water snake laying on the bank sunning himself. So, I wacked him several times with my tomahawk. Boy, was I proud! My first kill with that war club. So, I stuffed the snake in my front pocket and headed home to show off my trophy. When I got there, Mom was in the back yard so I reached in my pocket and pulled out the snake to show her. " Hey Mom, look what I got"! The snake started wiggling and slithered out of my hand and onto the ground. Mom screamed and I thought she was going to faint. Apparently I had only knocked the snake out and it slithered off thru the grass.
>>>---WW---->

Postby GPelkhunter » 07 21, 2023 •  [Post 14]

Working in Australia, a Brown Snake got into the engine compartment of the ute (pickup) when working on an oil site in the outback. A crane operator saw him go in there and told us. We went over and opened the engine compartment and left an operator on snake watch. Hours later the snake was still there so naturally we started messing with it and trying to get it out of the engine compartment with sticks and other objects. Finally, we decided to quickly fire up the ute and turn it back off again. There was an awful sound (fan blades cut the snake in numerous areas) and the snake crawled out and took off. One of the guys on my crew, a young Canadian farm kid named Joe figured he'd help herd the snake along and started running after it yelling "Hya Snake! Hya!" Well, the snake reared back and started coming towards Joe! Joe was caught off guard and when he tried to turn around he fell down in the bull dust and this snake was gaining on him. Joe was able to scramble to his feet and got away, the snake turned back and disappeared into the bush. We laughed at Joe and called him an idiot because Brown Snakes are highly venomous and we were 2 hours from the nearest town. Sad part of the story is the crane operator who was a local figured the snake would die from its wounds as the ants would relentlessly target the blood. Lots of ants in Australia.
GPelkhunter

Postby GPelkhunter » 07 21, 2023 •  [Post 15]

Reading about grizzlys in this thread coupled with my snake story from Australia reminded me of another story from Aus, but doesn't have snakes in it so I apologize for that. It's not the best story but always makes me smile when I think back on it:

We were working in the outback again and staying in a dusty old rig camp. We were done our shift and decided to head to the nearest town for a drink. Myself, another Canadian named Connely, an Aussy called Gazza and the girl who worked at the camp (can't remember her name, but I remember she was a cutey) were sitting at a table in a pub bull sh*tting. The topic of animals came up and Gazza asked "Is it true that bears actually stand up on their hind legs?" and lightning quick I told him "Actually its a little known fact but that's how bears run."

Well Gazzas eyes went as big as saucers and said "no way! that's amazing". I desperately tried to run with the story but Connely was caught off guard and starting howling. The camp girl with us put her head down and hand over her eyes and was laughing pretty hard too. Gazza went red and I couldn't help but lose the plot. The thought of a bunch of Yogi bears running around the woods still makes me laugh. Gazza was pissy for a bit but eventually found the humor in it.
GPelkhunter