Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How do you sharpen replacement blade bh's?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How do you sharpen replacement blade bh's?

Postby Toby » 01 13, 2013 •  [Post 1]

In reading some threads I noticed that some of you sharpen the blades in replacement blade type broad heads, such as Magnus, NAP, etc. Just wondering how you do that?
Toby

Re: How do you sharpen replacement blade bh's?

Postby buglmin » 01 13, 2013 •  [Post 2]

with the low cost of replacement blades, why would you even resharpen them? Replacing the blades on my number one arrow depends on how much I pull it in and out of the quiver. But I usually just switch my number one arrow with the number two arrow, move every arrow forward, and number one now becomes my number four arrow. And this is the arrow I shoot at grouse and what not...Heads like my Muzzy Phantoms or Wasp Sharpshooters, I touch up all the heads every few days, with a tru angle stone...
buglmin

Postby Toby » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 3]

They do get dull putting them in and out of a quiver. Just thought I read where some guys touch them up to restore the factory edge. Like to save a buck when I can.
Toby

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 4]

KME sharpener will do a great job on most replacement blades unless they have some type of a flange on them. Go to Elknuts videos. He shows how it is done. He also sells the KME!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Toby » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks WW, I'll take a look.
Toby

Postby planebow » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I shoot the Shuttle T's and use a small round ceramic stick to touch up the blades. Never thought about dulling broad heads taking in and out of a quiver until one night when we where teaching bowhunter ed and we bring out the board with rubber bands stretched on it, put a dull broad head though and then grabbed the first arrow out of the quiver and stuck it though the bands and not much happened. It happened to be the same arrow I had been taking in and out of the quiver all season. Learned a lesson that night myself.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby foxvalley » 01 15, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I also plan on picking up a KME sharpening system,main blades,bleeders,and the back of my magnus blades can now get sharpened,thanks WW.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton