Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What’s Next?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What’s Next?

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 19, 2023 •  [Post 1]

The garden is in and starting to grow. Stuff is getting done around the house. The kids are finishing up school for the year.

And we have around 100 days until hunts start!!!

So what is next that you have to do to get ready for the season???

For me, I’m still working on getting into the shape I want to be.
Might be getting new bow strings
Put in for the Idaho hunts
Summer scouting and trail cameras are just around the corner. With the amount of snow we had and the late spring we will definitely be a little late on this one.
Elkhunttoo

Re: What’s Next?

Postby Swede » 05 19, 2023 •  [Post 2]

With the record hot weather, we have been experiencing the snowpack is melting fast. I am about done building a rack for my utility trailer. If I have any anxiety about the coming season, it is about getting a good tag. And yes, I do have some chores to tend to in the meantime.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 05 19, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Late spring? Seems early to me. Hell of a winter, but spring came out of the gate hard and fast. Greenup and snow melt this year seems a few weeks ahead of schedule. Almost like we are skipping spring, and jumping straight into summer.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby saddlesore » 05 20, 2023 •  [Post 4]

It stopped snowing and started raining. Record amount for May now. It is greener than it has been for ten years. It is too wet and cold for the small garden yet,but asparagus has sprouted up

A deer herd moved in and trashed my newly reseeded pasture.I had the game warden out and he gave me some rubber 12 gauge slugs. I used them all up and bought 25 more. I have ten left.The deer were not bothered by the noise, and only ran 75-100 yard when I popped them with the rubber slugs.

So next he wanted me to put a higher electric fence up. I spent three days attaching 3/8" diameter fiberglass poles to the T-Bars and pitting up two more strands. It is almost 6 feet now. ($300). All this was so I could document that I tried. If that doesn't work, he was out last evening and said the next step is lethal control. These critters are nothing but long legged rats.

Now I have to wait until the ground dries enough to, disk part the pasture and reseed, $100 for more seed.

In the interim, I am refurbishing a horse drawn plow, trying to keep up with the wash outs in the lane, and cleaning up broken trees and branches from the storms. I have a 14 foot dump trailer and it is almost filled.

I am working on getting all the things fixed that I haven't been able to do the last three years.I walk outside and no matter which way I look something needs fixed. I put my back pack on with the oxygen unit and go to it.

No sense thinking about hunting until the draw results are posted in two weeks or so.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 05 20, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Im working on my daughter's house, exterior insulation, door, and trim work then stucco. , When Im suppose to be bear hunting.

Ordered some camera mounts for the 4 trail cams I bought myself for my Birthday.
Bought a new Mercury 8hp outboard < received it during the September elk hunt, still haven't mounted it on the boat. Which needs to go fishing. :oops: :roll:

The yard is close to perfect.

Since I drew Montana tags I need to camp and ATV, hike and scout the area Im hunting, Oh wait I have a Montan trapping and fishing licence too

I need more than 100 days

I really want to start packing bear bait in,,, I just need to finish my daughters place

Right now ladder work is getting me in shape, then Ill start packing in bear bait.

I have this one location3/4 mile from the end of the trail and 450 elevations. A houndsman told me that is the gap in the mountain this huge bear uses. The first times I saw his droppings and tracks I thought it was a griz,,,, poop as thick as my wrist...

laura.jpg
laura.jpg (85.62 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 21, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Waiting on some special draw, controlled hunt results to finalize the fall Wapiti hunting plans. Besides that, always working on elk hunting conditioning, that’s never a yes or no option but a year long endeavor, particularly as you get a bit longer in tooth :roll: . I did mount a new bow sight on the Darton that I’m playing with, so far I’m liking it. It’s a new Cobra Radius, so far so good.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ