Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Backing out

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Backing out

Postby Jhg » 05 17, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Like breaking up, backing out is hard to do. When was the first time you walked away from a group of elk because continuing to hunt them would have pushed them into the next zip code.
Did you have second thoughts?
Was using this tactic successful with a tagged animal the next day or?
Jhg

Re: Backing out

Postby Lefty » 05 17, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I can't think of my first.
By many hunters' standards I'm not very aggressive.. I physically can't move very fast and often can read what may be coming. And I always think there will be another chance tomorrow, so I don't really have regrets about the choices I make

I have also had experiences many will never have because we back out in a timely fashion..
If there is such thing as luck it seems like the elk win more often than they should.
Airplanes, ATVS, cattle, coyotes, thunder, smoke always work in elks favor too.

Sadly I (unless my wife has it in storage ) lost the picture that had me in the background
This one was a painful choice, I was 90-100 yards away from glassing for this bull
PICT0007.JPG

All part of the hunt be smart instead of training the elk were hunting.

Certain locations: canyons and some open sage ground we often back out sometimes for days on end because of the wind or thermal changes.
Large herds that are moving ambush-type locations at too often within view of other elk

We also tend to back out if other hunters show up,,,changing the possible setups.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 05 17, 2023 •  [Post 3]

I have backed away from a no win situation and came back later on several occasions. I wish I could say that in the end it worked out, but it never did. In the fairy tales the elk is waiting where you left him when you return. He is in a vulnerable location and bugles to let you know right where he is. That is in the fairy tales. Where I hunt the elk are educated.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 17, 2023 •  [Post 4]

When I think of “backing out” I think of it more as holding up. The wind is wrong and we know where they are bedded so we are waiting for it to get right to make the move.

I think it was destination elk season 2 (Corey Jacobson’s elk101 YouTube) where they worked a bull opening morning and then backed up and held off for the evening. They ended up shooting a nice bull that opening evening by waiting and holding up instead of trying to push him.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Jhg » 05 17, 2023 •  [Post 5]

I like "holding up". But I hunted 2 herd bulls (different seasons) that had me hold up until next day. I killed one of them and missed under the other from a deflection off a small branch. I returned on the deflection bull three days in a row before getting a shot. The dead bull fell 24 hrs after I initially jumped him the opening morning. Pulling out or holding off was the reason I was able to get shots on these savvy animals.

It was very very hard to leave the deflection bull. I had so many doubts about whether I would have another chance. He was magnificent. He had 12 or 13 cows and I saw enough of him to have gotten pretty amped up. But I did leave him as conditions just were not in my favor. In the end it was patience that got me the shot. It was a gateway moment and confidence builder.
Lady luck shined down on that bull the day my chance came. I was ready. Distance was under 30yds. Broadside. Standing.

BTW, after that shot he and all his cows left the drainage. Gone. You usually will only get one chance on a herd bull. Make it count.

81BAD2BC-74AA-4C5B-9634-A7B048E22986.jpeg
81BAD2BC-74AA-4C5B-9634-A7B048E22986.jpeg (149.84 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Jhg