Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shoot or No Shot 2023 – Episode #3

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shoot or No Shot 2023 – Episode #3

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 05, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Hunt Pressure Status: Minimal in the area you’re hunting.
Hunt: Partner Hunt
Date: Mid-September (5th day of your 7 day hunt)
Time: 0730ish
Tag: Archery; bull only.

OK, you and your partner have setup in this sparsely timbered, burnt area to call (nice area, right!). After only 10 or 12 minutes of some whiney cow calls and a bit of raking, this handsome devil comes in silent as a mouse, moves from and along the lime green path shown, weaving in and out of the pecker poles. After a nervous bark from the original shooter, Bradley Bull stops in his tracks where he stands now. The original shooter was Johnny on the spot, realized he didn’t have a shot from where he kneeled, so he gave the nervous bark in an attempt to stop the beast so you may have a shot (original caller now becomes the shooter). As the original caller/now shooter in the lower right corner of the scenario, “shoot or no shot” here. You’re at full draw and it appears your shot would be around 23 yards. Thermals as shown (red arrows). Shoot or no shot here?

Elk1 w-Mark up.jpg
Elk1 w-Mark up.jpg (208.2 KiB) Viewed 380 times

If you're shooting, save the picture to your desktop and open in MS Paint, then place a spot, X, or whatever on the critter before you save it back to a jpg or png and add the marked up pic with your post.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Shoot or No Shot 2023 – Episode #3

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I need the bull to take just one or two steps forward. I do not like the angle of the quartering to shot. The bull might go down fairly quick or go for a long way leaving no blood trail. I am going to wait. Stopping the bull there was not a good idea.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 05, 2023 •  [Post 3]

That shoulder is covering up most of the good stuff…I’m holding and hoping for a step or two to see what angles will change
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 05 06, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:I am going to wait. Stopping the bull there was not a good idea.

Im agreeing with Swede. Original shooter should have stayed quiet. That bull was still moving towards the whiney cow.

Elk can do some unexpected things
The original shooter may still have gotten a shot.

Hopefull that bull will turn and give the caller a shot.. But I have a feeling that bull is going to bust hard hearing a grunt that close and not seeing a friend,,,
maybe
and part of that maybe may be the bull dances and gives them a shot.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 05 13, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Waiting a few more steps...if the bark stops him in that exact position I'm still going to see what he does next. Fairly open and in range even if he turns to leave another nervous bark should get you a better angle.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L