Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

When Would You Shoot a Cow?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

When Would You Shoot a Cow?

Postby Swede » 05 01, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Would you shoot a cow assuming you hunt an either-sex area? If you would, how soon would you pull the trigger or release an arrow?

I have never shot a calf but have no respect for a dry cow. I like to wait until the calves get a little older before shooting mom. I prefer to wait until September 1st so the calf is about 2 1/2-3 months old so they can forage off the land and are not dependent on mom's milk. I have shot cows that had no calf with them thinking they were dry, but to my surprise found them to be lactating. The moral of the story is you cannot be sure a cow is not nursing a calf just because the calf in not in sight.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: When Would You Shoot a Cow?

Postby Tigger » 05 01, 2023 •  [Post 2]

You prefer to wait until Sept 1??? How early do you start?

Depends for me. Are we in to elk? Are bulls responding? I have passed up cows early in a hunt that I would have shot later in a hunt and I was very happy that I did! On the other hand, if we are struggling, I would be happy to take one.
Tigger

Postby Jhg » 05 01, 2023 •  [Post 3]

During archery I balance how many days I have to hunt vs pressure vs seeing bulls potential. I have drawn on cows early and late or not at all, based on that information.
I have never had anyone ask me, as they devoured another bite of savory elk from my "pantry", what sex the steak was.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 05 01, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Tigger: For years our archery elk season began the last or the next to the last Saturday in August.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 05 01, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Good thread Swede!!

If I know time is short like the last day I get to hunt I have4 been know to shoot a cow :lol:
The unit I hunt now I can hunt with a muzzleloader after archery season, I would chase the spikes with a muzzleloader I had been passing on during the archery season.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 05 01, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Here is something to consider when deciding if shooting a cow is right for you or any hunter: The number of elk per unit is pretty well regulated. A lot of considerations are made in coming up with they numbers that are finally settled on. The items I think of are cattle grazing and effects on private land where ranchers claim they do not want them. The public land managers want the elk numbers limited also. In addition to total elk numbers consider the bull/cow ratio. A good bull will only breed so many cows. Where I hunt mature bulls are fairly rare. Immature bulls are not good breeders. If shooting cows is permitted, then the game department wants to limit their numbers as much as they want to limit the bull numbers the keep the herds healthy. If you do not shoot a cow, then more cow tags will be sold to meet their goals.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 05 02, 2023 •  [Post 7]

I have no problem shooting cows. Frankly if I could hunt cows more often with a rifle I would do it, especially in state where tags are cheap. On out of state of hunts, where tags are very expensive, I pause at the thought of shooting a cow early in a hunt. We all know you can't eat antlers, and a mature cow provides a lot of meat, but I'd sure like to do my best to kill a mature bull if I can. Reduced price antlerless tags sure are appealing but becoming much harder to get ahold of. If someone has some input on places I can regularly pickup a reduced price antlerless tag please PM me.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 05 02, 2023 •  [Post 8]

For years I would shoot a spike or rag-horn early in the season. There is no trophy with a spike still in the velvet and far less meat. I don't make that mistake anymore.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 05 02, 2023 •  [Post 9]

I don't even have a problem shooting spikes, I've killed 4 of them in 5 years. However, if I had the choice between a spike and a cow you better believe I'd shoot the cow.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 02, 2023 •  [Post 10]

Swede already knows my answer ;). Has my methodology cost me elk meat in the freezer? Yep, but it’s a glorious ride trying to deflate the indigenous bulls with a sharp broad head tipped arrow in areas I hunt. Hello, I’m RJ and am a hunting bull elk in the rut addict :? I am reluctant to end my season early just to put meat in the freezer. Is there any help for my affliction, I hope not. Another good thread Swede.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 05 02, 2023 •  [Post 11]

I can let you guys in on one good reason for RJ not to shoot cows where he hunts. It is ill eagle. :D
Swede

Postby Lefty » 05 02, 2023 •  [Post 12]

WapitiTalk1 wrote: I am reluctant to end my season early just to put meat in the freezer..

Yeah I took it a bit out of context.
I hunt because I like to hunt,, I love the woods, And as a side note my last 45 years my freezers generally contained more game than I could eat so I share a lot of what others will take. If I needed the meat I would be sitting on a travel way.

My point,Im not hunting just to fill the freezer.
But Im not just hunting for a mature bull, Well maybe sort-of during the archery season Im trying mostly to get my daughter a big bull,
And lets face it Ive had some experiences in the archery woods that no rifle hunter generally has. That wouldn't happen if I killed a cow the first couple of days

I even have my daughter doing it. The past 4 years she has probably stated a dozen days she would shoot a cow that day,,, I the fist bull she hears or sees,,, and that comment goes straight in the trash.

But when will I shoot a cow,,, as I mentioned,, the last days of an elk season, maybe. :lol:
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 05 02, 2023 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:I can let you guys in on one good reason for RJ not to shoot cows where he hunts. It is ill eagle. :D

Im hunint one of those hunts this year,,, cows will be a bigg no-no
Lefty

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 03, 2023 •  [Post 14]

Years past of shot plenty of cows. I think it’s been 15 or so years since I’ve shot one and will likely never shoot another. I’m kinda like RJ. The Bull Fever has me busted! Last year I past up a 5 point rag horn, haven’t second guessed that decision once.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 03, 2023 •  [Post 15]

IMG_2781.jpeg
IMG_2781.jpeg (37.68 KiB) Viewed 1968 times

To much fun chasing bulls in the sunset to shoot a cow for me ;)

I also don’t have to pay non resident fees. I can see that making a difference in people’s decisions
Elkhunttoo

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 03, 2023 •  [Post 16]

Swede wrote:I can let you guys in on one good reason for RJ not to shoot cows where he hunts. It is ill eagle. :D

Ha, not all my areas Swede… I guess is year, draw dependent.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 05 03, 2023 •  [Post 17]

There is really no right or wrong to legally shooting a cow for the meat. If a hunter would prefer to not shoot one it is their choice. I totally accept that. I prefer to get a bull, but a cow is no disappointment to me.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 03, 2023 •  [Post 18]

Swede wrote:There is really no right or wrong to legally shooting a cow for the meat. If a hunter would prefer to not shoot one it is their choice. I totally accept that. I prefer to get a bull, but a cow is no disappointment to me.

You’re not wrong at all sir.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 05 05, 2023 •  [Post 19]

Elkhunttoo wrote:Years past of shot plenty of cows. I think it’s been 15 or so years since I’ve shot one and will likely never shoot another. I’m kinda like RJ. The Bull Fever has me busted! Last year I past up a 5 point rag horn, haven’t second guessed that decision once.

:D I get it!
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 05 05, 2023 •  [Post 20]

Elkhunttoo wrote: The Bull Fever has me busted! L,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
haven’t second guessed that decision once.

I find a bull screaming 10-20-50 yards away more exciting than a cow at arms length.

My buddies and I sat on the edge of 60,000 snow geese on the edge of camp We were aw struck,,, the one partner posted real time pictures on a forum and sorta wanted to do a run and gun( geese were 40 yards from us. . Some hunters on that forum were , tthat a once in a lifetime , The three of us likely could have slaughtered 200-300 geese with 24 shots in 4-5 seconds. We had opportunities to do drive-bys, thousands of geese in road ditches we had maybe 7 8 times with ditch geese ( some young feller wanted us to participate in a "shoot" he did get 209 geese with 9 original shots he needed 40 cleanup shots)
All entertaining, but not our thing , :lol: fun to watch, fun to see. Not fun to spend a couple of days clearing birds.
Lefty

Postby Jhg » 05 06, 2023 •  [Post 21]

I should add that unless a bull is taken early season and before his body has exploded into rut a cow will yield better tasting meat. I have shot bulls early and late. They were excellent table fare. But when Mr Big is pooping rock hard, black stench pellets you are getting something extra in the flavor.
I am bull biased and was comfy doing that archery because late rifle was a slam dunk cow tag. Lately though, due to changing weather patterns (warmer later but weirdly timed big snow events) that guaranteed cow has become harder to count on.

I love taking a nice bull. Pride, satisfaction knowing you did it the hard way, love of the chase, respect for the animal.

But I hate having an empty freezer. Like many of you, I get a great deal of satisfaction placing on table a meal that represents everything I feel is important- free range, gluten free, organic, low fat, sustainably harvested, tastes great!!

And if I was Swede, ;) I could add tree hugger, because his tree stands wrap around a tree. Just sayin.
Jhg

Postby Pop-r » 05 06, 2023 •  [Post 22]

IF someone had hit one and it was in the ditch trying to get up and couldn't I'd probably shoot one.
Pop-r

Postby Jhg » 05 06, 2023 •  [Post 23]

Pop-r wrote:IF someone had hit one and it was in the ditch trying to get up and couldn't I'd probably shoot one.

Quote of the day.
Jhg

Postby DKenn757 » 05 07, 2023 •  [Post 24]

I think for me going on my first solo elk hunt in Montana this year, it will be hard for me to pass the first legal elk I have an opportunity to take. I have never killed an elk, so I think that plays a lot in to my decision.
DKenn757

Postby Swede » 05 07, 2023 •  [Post 25]

DKenn: That is wise. I do not know what you do in the Navy, but I suspect there were things you did as a Seaman Apprentice and Seaman that you built on to be where you are today. In season to come you may be up to a greater challenge, but getting any elk is big. I killed a cow elk over 50 years ago and still do. I do not know if that means I am still a Seaman Apprentice in my analogy or not, but it still works for me.
Swede

Postby Jhg » 05 07, 2023 •  [Post 26]

DKenn, if an elk gives you a good shot take it. My experience is that the elk hunt gods give us all early opportunities that seem designed to test our humility. Pass up the gift and you buy yourself a few years of frustration.

Elk hunting is part magic you know.

A406655B-A407-4CF6-9F26-08C97D1B88F1.jpeg
A406655B-A407-4CF6-9F26-08C97D1B88F1.jpeg (212.08 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
Jhg

Postby Billy Goat » 05 11, 2023 •  [Post 27]

if I have a good opportunity on a cow in an either sex tag, I'll take it in a hurry.

did that in 2021 with my group and then helped others in camp, pack meat, etc.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby saddlesore » 05 11, 2023 •  [Post 28]

I take the first legal elk I see. More often than not in Colorado, that will be your only chance to fill a tag. Especially in an OTC unit. Although Colorado has the most elk in the U.S., it also has the most hunters that tend to screw up your hunt.

In almost 60 years of elk hunting, I have killed elk on the first day, in the middle of the week, and on the last day of the season. Unless there is chance of meat spoilage, I stay until the end of the season. In the last ten years or so, I had access to a walk in cooler close by. After I tag, I am either helping a partner get their elk or riding the country side getting more familiar with it, enjoying the outdoors.

I have killed and eaten enough of those stinky old bulls that I enjoy the better eating of a cow or even a yearling elk.There are only so many places to hang a set of antlers. Then they get stacked in a pile or thrown up in the barn rafters. Getting close to a herd of 15-20 cows is no easy task either. A lot harder than calling or sneaking up to a bull in rut.

I don't need to kill another elk in my lifetime, but I do enjoy the meat. Now days, I enjoy just being out there, knowing it may be the last year I can do it.

This is the country I hunted. Both photos I have as my home page. I remember the country more than the elk I killed.

This one I have tagged four bulls and five cows.
Ohio Peak.jpg
Ohio Peak.jpg (372.42 KiB) Viewed 1889 times

This one I tagged eight bulls in eight straight years.Then started tagging cows
Downsized Turrett.jpg
Downsized Turrett.jpg (193.44 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
I
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 05 11, 2023 •  [Post 29]

Awesome picture Vince. I can feel the cool air just looking at it.

I totally agree....Swede is still and apprentice! :lol:

Here is my advice on shooting or not shooting a cow or small bull or calf or big bull:

Shoot whatever you want, whenever you want, if it makes you happy. Do not listen to others try and persuade you what to do. It is your license, your decision. If you pass up a decent 6X6 on day 1 and never see another elk but are happy with the decision...GREAT!! If you shoot a calf 5 minutes into the season in a limited entry unit and are happy....GREAT!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 05 11, 2023 •  [Post 30]

Tigger wrote:I totally agree....Swede is still and apprentice!

That is still true. I may be the oldest apprentice around and have a lot to learn. Still, I get by.

I laugh about the time my son's father-in-law, who considers himself more of a journeyman, was going to take him on a hunt and show him how to get elk. Luke would have gone I suppose but they did not agree on something. Luke came back with a nice 5X5 and the his FIL got nothing.
Swede

Postby ishy » 05 13, 2023 •  [Post 31]

First good shot. I've taken a few, one made me question taking her. I was on call at the local hospital in what I thought was a good deer spot on an apple tree tucked in the timber behind 40 acres of alfalfa. A lone cow came in and started picking apples. I had a week and a half off later in September, but by the time she turned broadside I was at full draw. This was Labor day and was heating up quick when I found her I had a sobering realization that I was playing with fire being on call. I set to taking care of her knowing the clock was ticking, praying the phone wouldn't go off. The hard part though was a calf starting just bawling on the hill above me while I butchered her. The meat is a priceless gift especially with a young family. I did manage to get everything on ice and 3/4 of it even packaged before the phone finally went off.
Funniest part of the morning was getting a call from my wife during the pack out. "What are you doing?" "I'm packing an elk", complete silence... you could just see her wheels turning "that sucker lied to me! He told me he was working and he went hunting!"
The other aspect is that I get just as excited with my friends successes as my own. I love calling, filming, and even packing for them. So if I fill a tag early I don't feel like I miss any part of what I dream about 335 days of the year. As long as I'm in the woods in September I'm happy.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby six » 05 15, 2023 •  [Post 32]

First one that comes within range. I only get to elk hunt 7 days a year. So I don't pass up many shot opportunities.

Whitetail on the other hand I pass up several bucks attempting to take one bigger than my previous. I usually end up taking a doe in late season.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Pop-r » 05 15, 2023 •  [Post 33]

Swede I wasn't able to comprehend your story very well about your son and his fil. You left me wondering if they did or didn't go hunting together.
Pop-r

Postby Swede » 05 15, 2023 •  [Post 34]

My son and his FIL could not agree on something so they each went on totally separate hunts. It was not a matter of not getting along and there were no hard feelings. My son just declined to go with him on that hunt.
Swede