Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Who eats the meat!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Who eats the meat!!

Postby Lefty » 04 22, 2023 •  [Post 1]

The deer elk, ducks, geese, and bear meat adds up. I think I'm just finished up 2021 elk and Bear this past few weeks. Still a few geese and last fall's deer in the freezer.

On our Spring snow goose hunt, We ate 30 or so birds and I brought 6 snow geese home. Hunting partner Tim is making sausage with the rest.
In my lifetime Ive given away one blacktail, 1/2 mule deer, 80-100 from each moose, and a few quarters of elk.
I have been forced to make lots of jerky and sausage with much of our game. My daughter takes it to work and it tends to go fast and she scores points!

Years back on my Minnesota traplines my dad had a list of people and organizations that took the beaver meat.

where does your game meat go!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Who eats the meat!!

Postby Swede » 04 22, 2023 •  [Post 2]

My brother and I equally share all of my game kills. He does not hunt but stays with me and share in all of the costs. I give some of my portion to my children and a little to my neighbor and church friends. Some of the church people are of the opinion game meat is free for my taking and I get a nice camp out along with it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 22, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Me, my wife, and 4 kids eat a ton right now… and since I’m a poor shot the last few years it’s been a lot of meat I didn’t get :?
Elkhunttoo

Postby 7mmfan » 04 27, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Game meat has been our almost our exclusive source for meat for almost a decade now. I supplement with chicken, and occasionally bacon. Otherwise we eat a lot of salmon/rockfish/lingcod/halibut that I catch. This year may be lean for a couple reasons. Many of our salmon/steelhead seasons that I rely on in June to restock our freezer have been shut down this year due to projected low returns. I may have to travel more in July to other fisheries supplement. We are also expecting a baby in October, (yeah, I know, POOR timing, but a blessing we've been trying 3 years for now) so my available hunting time is going to slim. Hoping to knock a couple bears down in August and September to get some in there before baby O'Connor #2 arrives.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 28, 2023 •  [Post 5]

7mmfan wrote:Game meat has been our almost our exclusive source for meat for almost a decade now. I supplement with chicken, and occasionally bacon. Otherwise we eat a lot of salmon/rockfish/lingcod/halibut that I catch. This year may be lean for a couple reasons. Many of our salmon/steelhead seasons that I rely on in June to restock our freezer have been shut down this year due to projected low returns. I may have to travel more in July to other fisheries supplement. We are also expecting a baby in October, (yeah, I know, POOR timing, but a blessing we've been trying 3 years for now) so my available hunting time is going to slim. Hoping to knock a couple bears down in August and September to get some in there before baby O'Connor #2 arrives.

October due date? Sounds like a future hunting partner to me ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby 7mmfan » 04 29, 2023 •  [Post 6]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:
7mmfan wrote:Game meat has been our almost our exclusive source for meat for almost a decade now. I supplement with chicken, and occasionally bacon. Otherwise we eat a lot of salmon/rockfish/lingcod/halibut that I catch. This year may be lean for a couple reasons. Many of our salmon/steelhead seasons that I rely on in June to restock our freezer have been shut down this year due to projected low returns. I may have to travel more in July to other fisheries supplement. We are also expecting a baby in October, (yeah, I know, POOR timing, but a blessing we've been trying 3 years for now) so my available hunting time is going to slim. Hoping to knock a couple bears down in August and September to get some in there before baby O'Connor #2 arrives.

October due date? Sounds like a future hunting partner to me ;)

Roger that!
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 05 01, 2023 •  [Post 7]

Congrats! Is this the first WapitiTalk baby that we know about? You better post pictures here before you tell either your parents or hers!

Same as 7mm for meat. We eat almost all wild game except chicken (buy from the neighbor) or bacon (store bought).
Tigger

Postby Swede » 05 06, 2023 •  [Post 8]

7mm: It is ok with me if you name the boy Swede. It is even ok with me if you name your girl Swede. Just a thought. Anyway congrats a few months early. :D
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 05 07, 2023 •  [Post 9]

Thanks for the name suggestions Swede. I'll take them into consideration. We are having another boy and if WapitiTalk is that invested, maybe I'll livestream it here for everyone :lol:
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 05 07, 2023 •  [Post 10]

Never mind live streaming the birth of your child. I know it will be exciting, but it won't be as exciting as the moment you tell your wife that you want to name the baby "Swede" after this great guy you know from the forum. I would like you to live stream that special occasion for us.
Swede

Postby ishy » 05 13, 2023 •  [Post 11]

I have a buddy new to archery that I have gotten into bear hunting. I keep telling him get into a tree stand (your welcome swede) and do it with a bow. Baiting bears is perfect for newbies. You can be selective and can watch them for quite a while. Back story he lost a bear the year before shooting a tad rushed from the ground. He "upgraded" from a 7mm to a 4570! So little bear comes in and he takes a rushed shot with a sub par placement. Well the bear looses it, so like any modern John Wayne that has seen too many movies with a gargantuan adrenaline dump and a wounded growling predator rolling around what does my buddy do? He proceeds to unload his grizzly gun on this poor little ball of fur!
Few weeks later I get a call, "Hey pal can I borrow some bear meat? I can't tell my wife I obliterated mine and I she is starting to ask for some bear meat." :lol: So I have tagged meat for my buddy in case he still is using his grizzly gun.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby ishy » 05 13, 2023 •  [Post 12]

7mm I can't remember if it was on here, but there was a thread about knowing if your a real elk hunter-one of my favorites was "complete abstinence from Jan.-Feb cause it's just not worth the risk"!
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby 7mmfan » 05 16, 2023 •  [Post 13]

ishy wrote:7mm I can't remember if it was on here, but there was a thread about knowing if your a real elk hunter-one of my favorites was "complete abstinence from Jan.-Feb cause it's just not worth the risk"!

Yeah, we practiced that plan for a while. After a couple of miscarriages and failed procedures, there was no more trying to time this little blessing. Just means he gets to hunt on his birthday when he's old enough :D
7mmfan