Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2023 What Should you Do? Episode #1.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2023 What Should you Do? Episode #1.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 16, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Hunt: Solo archery hunt. Tag: Any bull.

Date/Time: 10 September; 0830. Day 5 of your 7-day hunt.

Situation: Started at daylight, heading up and in to your secret squirrel spot at the head end of a small basin. You’ve let this bull call you in with his bugles/chuckles. You’ve only responded with a few whiny cow calls as you cover the distance. Thermals are still coming down nicely. When you’re about 80 yards away/below the bull, you see a hunter (you have no idea who he is or where he came from) in cover around 40 yards below the bull and at about your 2 o’clock. As you both lock eyes on each other, the visiting hunter gives you hand signal to call.
Hand Signal to Call.jpg
Hand Signal to Call.jpg (4.32 KiB) Viewed 873 times
It seems new guy is telling you to call so perhaps he can get a shot.

What should or do you do at this point?

Hung Up w-Mark Up.jpg
Hung Up w-Mark Up.jpg (60.17 KiB) Viewed 873 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: 2023 What Should you Do? Episode #1.

Postby Lefty » 04 16, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I had something like that happen in the Washington State rifle hunt. We worked for the herd like we were long-time partners for just a few minutes . Another hunter upwind busted the elk out before long.

Scenario Episode one
He is closer, and more likely to have the shot.
I would pull my diaphragm call out of my mouth, Hopefully, communicate that is what he wants.
I would reply with a long or short hand movement: , expecting him to want a long mew.
I would also motion if He wanted me to stay in position or move.

A few years ago three of us, we were the in a deep nasty canyon. with 3 bulls. We were moving in on the herd for an hour to set up . Next thing we know We were in the middle of all three bulls. The herd, and herd bull in front of us.
My daughter was in the thick less than 60 yards from the herd
Andrew was 40 yards from a small 5x6
We never saw the third bull
I was the caller.

I hear something coming, passes below me, then I saw the noise was a hunter. He was runninbrush busting and nearly knocked Andrew over trying to get past him to the bull,, That bull and the herd spooked.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Jhg » 04 16, 2023 •  [Post 3]

I would call for the closer hunter out of courtesy. If I couldn't/wouldn't do that, I would hang back letting him have the chance on his own.
Getting ahead of or cutting in front of another hunter who is on an animal is not my notion of a good time.
I would swing around ahead of the bull if I could do it not ruining anyones chances.
Jhg

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 16, 2023 •  [Post 4]

No need to call for me. The hunter is at 40 yards, he's in bowrange, the bull will eventually move from his position. That's when the guy at 40 will have his chance to take him or stop him for a shot.

If you're at 80 are in a spot where you can see the bull & you call there's a good chance you just blew it for both of you. I'd stay patient & allow things to develop!

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 04 16, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Assuming the bull can't see you and the bull and the guy above have heard your cow calls, I would give another cow call. Hopefully the guy above stays in sight and can continue to signal. Hopefully we could get to butchering his elk pretty soon and he would share a steak dinner later.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 16, 2023 •  [Post 6]

I think I’m just going to hold tight and let it play out.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Tigger » 04 17, 2023 •  [Post 7]

Yeah, I think I would just stay quiet and let it develop. If the other hunters keeps "asking" me to do something and it makes sense to me then I would help him. But if he is that close, I wouldn't want to let out a call and goof it up. Likely, the other has no shot at the moment so he wants me to call to get the bull to move. That is not a good idea I do not think unless it turns to leave the area. Then I would call. But for now, sit tight.

I don't know if you are going to add to this scenario, but what if that bull decides to walk to you and the other hunter never shoots. You have a shot, would you shoot?
Tigger

Postby Swede » 04 17, 2023 •  [Post 8]

Aren't you guys that refuse the other hunter's request indicating you know better what to do than the guy that is half the distance you are to the bull? The other hunter requested you give a call. The scenario as stated indicates he wants to be able to make a shot. The wants the bull to look the other way. I would give some kind of call. Since you have been giving "whiney cow calls", and the bull has been trying to call you in, it is likely the other hunter wants you to do one more. Does he even know you could do other calls? The whole scenario seems pretty simple to me. It is the other hunter's elk, and he wants a call. Give him one. If it is the wrong move; it was his bull, so wave goodbye and move on. If he takes a shot, go up and try to give him a hand.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 04 17, 2023 •  [Post 9]

Swede makes a good point. But there are two assumptions that I am a little unsure about. First, did you interpret his signal correctly? Second, is that the right thing to do? Even in my party, we all reserve the right to override someone else's request if we really think it is the wrong thing to do. But it is likely I would make a cow call to help the hunter if I felt it was clear what he wanted and I agreed it wasn't a colossal screw up.
Tigger

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 17, 2023 •  [Post 10]

I have cow called several times over the years and then move and I had a bull come in and look right where I’m at and not where I called. They heard me walking and as if they thought I was a cow they will look where they heard me and then to where I called from. A call might work and it might not in this situation. Idk for sure what the other hunters hand signals are. At 40 yards he is in range and one step might give that hunter all he needs. I let it play out every time in this situation unless I’m 1000% sure on what he wants. Maybe his hand signals are asking me to not call again.

Interesting thought tigger. I guess if the bull walks around/by him and he fits what I want then I shoot. Essentially the tables flip and now I’m shooter and he is caller. And I would expect him to remain quiet if I did.

Another change in this is what if I do call and this bull moves out and around this hunter and then comes and checks me out and I shoot him. Even though I thought I was helping him out now he might think I purposely was getting this bull to move around the other guy.

Honestly this is a unique situation and I don’t see it happening to often. But it definitely could happen
Elkhunttoo

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 17, 2023 •  [Post 11]

I've been in this similar situation many times over the years as a solo hunter & with my Son. I would not call, really no need.

What if there was no 2nd hunter at 80 yards, it was just you at 40 yards, what would you do? Your best bet is to be patient, that bull will move. Too many hunters put undue pressure on themselves thinking it's now or never, in reality the bull has no clue you are there at 40 yards & you have great wind, he isn't going anywhere in a hurry, he'll be yours shortly!

P.S. I understand swedes comments about IF you were 100% hidden at 80 yards you might call & hope he mosies on your way, but why? Again, the bull has no clue you guys are there!

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 04 17, 2023 •  [Post 12]

My thinking is that it is his bull out there. I don't need to analyze anything. He wants a call so I will give him my best. The other hunter is in the best position to determine what is going on with the bull and he wants a cow call right away. If he wanted a bugle, it would be easy for him to show that is what he wants. It would not matter to me if it was Rocky Jacobson or Madonna out there. :D
Swede