Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

When To Draw On Elk!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

When To Draw On Elk!

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 12, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Drawing on elk can be considered an "Art" when all is considered--It requires skill, nerves & timing! All 3 can come into play on nearly every drawing situation whether you're solo or tag teaming! Your best odds stem from having the elks head hidden through your draw cycle, this can mean his head is in the grass or he could be raking a tree/brush, his head is behind tree/rock, maybe he's walking in & he's went by you in range & you're waiting for his eyes to go by you giving you a quartering away shot, you can now draw or give a soft grunt & draw simultaneously, this works great with both trad bows or compounds!
  The grunt will generally freeze him in his tracks allowing you the precious few seconds it will take to slip an arrow in him! In other instances the elk comes in & stops at the 5yd to 30yd range facing you & locked on to the area he heard the calling & sees nothing,this means you had a great setup! Don't blow it now, stay calm, cool &collected; wait for him to turn to leave, as soon as he turns his head& body; draw instantly & give him a voice grunt or do it with a mouth reed that's already in your mouth. This single note is deadly, it freezes them in their tracks as they turn back to see this elk they must not have seen at first! This is our # 1 sound & situation that arises so frequently.
  It's nice to also be able to draw on incoming elk, as you hear or see them do not draw too early, you could be holding way longer than expected & thus having to let down. It can ruin the whole encounter if this happens, let elk get closer as long as they still have to travel through cover on their way in or if you can tell they're rushing in fast then that too must be taken into consideration! The closer the elk the tougher to draw on them especially when solo, you look for that little crease by evaluating his movement &direction where your best odds are to draw! Experience here is a great teacher!

We have been in these situations many times over the years! This has been done in heavy cover, in front of cover, next to cover & with myself caught right out in the open; as open as a Walmart parking lot! We've taken several bulls in that situation, we do not move a muscle until the Timing is right to draw, aim, and fire!!! When caught in the open, be patient, elk will look at you & try to figure out what you are but generally will tolerate you there as long as you do not move!!!! As soon as they let their guard down for that one instant it's time to ACT!!! I've drawn on bulls where I've had them alone as well as have their cows 10yd-15yd from me for several minutes with the wind in my favor just waiting for the bull to turn or anything where I could draw without him seeing the motion. The cows would look up quickly as soon as you draw but don't run off as quickly as you may think,by then the arrow is gone!! I've done this with both longbow & compound! 

In most cases if I  tried to draw while the bull was staring in our direction our odds are low he would have stayed for the draw aim & shoot! I too have found that if a bulls head is hidden as you draw & all of a sudden he looks up or moves his head that was once behind the tree to continue the smooth draw motion, you have little chance of drawing with him staring you down & you're already half cocked. If you stop, 30 seconds to a minute go by, you will be shaking like a leaf from adrenaline & muscle exhaustion so maintain drawing to full draw! Food for thought!

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: When To Draw On Elk!

Postby Lefty » 04 12, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Some great info Paul.

I just wish the adrenalin wouldn't override my daughter's process, she seems to freeze up when opportunities arrive.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 12, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Paul, when you talk about them freezing up it reminded me of a situation I saw this last season.

Many times I’ve had elk freeze and we do the waiting game, most the time it’s only a few minutes but I’ve always wondered if they didn’t see me when the freeze happens how long they would wait. Or in other words what is their patience level when they think something is off and go into alert mode.

This last season I was climbing my tree early in the morning (probably 20 minutes after legal shooting light) when a small rag horn came in…I knew elk were in the area and had cow called right before I started to get into the tree. After a minute this young Bull decided something was off and turned and walked off. I gave it about 15-20 minutes and then cow called a few more times. I had seen a really big bull not far from my stand right at daylight and I was hoping to get him to come in mid day and check out the cow calls from morning.

As soon as I called the small bull had circled me and got above me. He immediately bugled and came charging back in. He held up at about 45 yards still confused on what was going on…I watched him circle me at about 45-55 yards and then he went behind a tree and I never saw him again….that is for over 45 minutes….I thought he had walked off but he had froze right behind that tree for over 45 minutes just listening for anything that was off I guess…surprised me how patient he was when he came out from behind the tree he seemed completely relaxed but still looked my way several times as if he was just confused
Elkhunttoo

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 13, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Freezing up can happen to all of us sir! Most get over it in time & some don't! You can't say she doesn't get excited! (grin) Hope that feeling stays with her forever, just in a more controllable fashion!

Elkhunttoo, great experience! You most likely realize now when the small bull showed & bugled he was calling the cow, he wanted to see her, he didn't even though he knows he should. He could see where the calling came from; no cow; suspicion took over not confusion. He knew 100% something was wrong! -- Good question about their level of patience! In your case you gave that bull the luxury of seeing where the sounds came from & remain out of your range, take that out of the equation & the encounter will favor a closer encounter. To be honest I'm not that much in favor in cow calling from a destination area. I prefer bull sounds. With these other bulls rarely try calling you over, they generally will slip in silent.

Many bulls will call a couple hundred yards away from their destination to see if any other bulls/elk are there, don't return any calls at all, stay patient they most likely are heading your way.

Next time there consider calling from your stand area with bull sounds for about a minute, get creative but not loud, elk will hear you. Now walk away 40 yards like you're leaving & bugle with your back to the stand site, now go back to your stand & do not call anymore. If you had a camera on this location with a time stamp when elk appear then I'd sit there with no calling at all.

I'll say this, I wish I had as much patience at times as the young bull exemplified! :D

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Tigger » 04 13, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Bull with about half a dozen cows by a water hole in the timber. We bugle before we know they are there and he answers. We sneak in and give him a cow call. Here he comes! I am on a steep slope with a big dense bush sidehill from me from 6-12 yards with a trail on the left side of the bush coming right at me. I am standing on the trail I realize. He is coming from the right and crossing behind the bush and I draw. He decides to rake the bush. He is destroying that bush 12 yards from me! Time drags on and my arms go from chiseled, muscular, hunks of iron to spaghetti in short order. I can't hold back anymore. I let down. He is 12 yards away. I get away with it. I am really worried he is going to take a couple steps around that bush and hit the trail and come right at me as my caller is behind me. finally, I sense he is going to do just that. I draw. He decides that bush is still offending him and starts beating it up again. For minutes. I have to let down again. Then.....then I hear his cows chirp from the way he came from. Oh crap, he is going to go back to them. I side step to the right, pull back and he hits a lane and I let him have it. He piled up before he got back to his cows. Our best estimate is he was behind that bush for 8-10 minutes. Deciding when to draw was an excruciating mental exercise for my weak mind. I really wonder what would have happened if I was not drawn and he came around that bush. I really think we would have had a stare down at less than 5 yards.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 04 13, 2023 •  [Post 6]

ElkNut1 wrote:Freezing up can happen to all of us sir! Most get over it in time & some don't! You can't say she doesn't get excited! (grin) Hope that feeling stays with her forever, just in a more controllable fashion!
ElkNut

Well the excitement of hunting elk with her is worth it. This year I got to watch her 20 yards from "her" bull for over 8 minutes waiting on a shot. Three weeks later "her" bull was on the other side of a tree,,, Some day! Some day it will come together. She just needs to do it.

Draw aim release
Draw aim release
Draw aim release
Draw aim release
Draw aim release :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 04 16, 2023 •  [Post 7]

I agree with Paul's reply to Elkhunttoo. Find a good place near your stand to call from. The best place is one where the elk must get close to your stand before they can see what is not really there. If they can see your call location from 100 yards away; that is where they will hang up. I usually bugle just once before I climb up my tree. That is my style now, but I have gone with more with some success too. I have my pack on and bow hanging from my drop line. When I get to the tree, I just clip my carabinier onto my safety line and head up the tree.
Once in a while I try to anticipate when the elk will pass between some obstacles and sometimes, I must let down. Usually shooting is a pretty straight forward proposition especially up high. Shooting from high above is a little easier that being at eye level most of the time. Occasionally I need to exercise special care not to be seen. I try to have my human outline broke up as soon as I get into my tree or even before the hunt.
I have often said I do not shoot elk. I shoot at a small spot on the side of a critter. I just need to make sure I can do everything undetected and not have anything to interfere with placing an arrow where I want it to land. I believe focusing on shot placement helps a lot with controlling nerves. After all, I am not outside trying to kill a huge animal. I am just shooting a small target.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 16, 2023 •  [Post 8]

As simple as it may sound to some of you crusty old bowhunters, this IMO is the WapitiTalk Tip of the Week (hmm, perhaps a new thread idea?).... Quoting Swede: "I shoot at a small spot on the side of a critter. I just need to make sure I can do everything undetected and not have anything to interfere with placing an arrow where I want it to land. I believe focusing on shot placement helps a lot with controlling nerves. After all, I am not outside trying to kill a huge animal, I am just shooting a small target." For newer elk bowhunters, it's a pretty jarring experience when you are finally, actually faced with drawing back on a bull elk and making a perfect kill shot. No time for knocking knees or thinking it's OK to just put an arrow into the side of an elk, it's time to lock down on that spot that will result in a clean kill. Anything less will end badly..

Silent.jpg
Silent.jpg (14.59 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby forester » 04 22, 2023 •  [Post 9]

"No time for knocking knees or thinking it's OK to just put an arrow into the side of an elk, it's time to lock down on that spot that will result in a clean kill. Anything less will end badly..."

This is my favorite bit of advice/wisdom among the multiple gems in this "When to draw" thread.

Any hints wisdom from you old hands on how you mentally steal your mind to get in kill focus as you see the bull approaching? Especially when you watch him come from a distance.

I sort of think there's likely no surefire mental gymnastics but what helps you get "shot focused"?
forester

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Blount

Postby Swede » 04 22, 2023 •  [Post 10]

For sure some shots are more demanding than others. A frontal shot, or a spine shot from a tree stand takes more precision than a quartering away. Skill, distance and nerves all come into play on the shots we should take. Hunter, know yourself and what you are attempting to do.
Swede

Postby forester » 04 23, 2023 •  [Post 11]

"Hunter, know yourself and what you are attempting to do."

Thanks Swede. Knowing myself is sorta the oroblem. I don't have much problem getting "zoned in" on whiteails" probably bc of 53 yrs. of hunting them. Only hunted elk for a total of 4 weeks, primarily 2019 and 21. I missed a "gift wrapped" open shot at a nice MT bull yr. 2021. He came out of timber about 125 yards above me, walked right down a road to about 30 yards, stopped, stared at me kneeling in front of good back cover, then proceeded on down road. Think he thought the cow that wasn't had gone further down road over a bump/curve he couldn't see.. I waited until he passed, drew and shot inches below his heart. He booked back up the road and stopped at about 45 yards. Stood there for a minute or so trying to figure out what happened then went back from whence he came. 45 yards was too far for me and my recurve.

The size difference bt bull elk and whitetails at about about 15 yards is amazing and sort of disorienting.

I sort of unconsciously thought he was about 20 yards AND also hurried the shot
The "staredown" vanquished composure.
Chalked up to experience and wouldn't trade that one for almost anything!
forester

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Blount

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2023 •  [Post 12]

Am I the only one that has ever been out on a 3D range and had some knot head say they are better at shooting live game? Shooting on a range is good practice, but a 3D target is not going anywhere, and you have plenty of time to size up the target and execute your shot. You may feel some pressure from the competition, but it is insignificant compared to the adrenalin rush you can get from seeing a good bull elk moving your way. That said, I would recommend going out on a competitive 3D shoot and getting with the stiffest competition you can find. If you need more help learning to control your nerves tell the best shooter out there that, "you are dumb and ugly, and only competing for 2nd place today." :D
Swede

Postby Tigger » 04 24, 2023 •  [Post 13]

Yep, I had a guy say that he can't shoot off a bench rest, he is better off hand and never misses deer. He couldnt shoot off hand either I soon found out.

I play a little game with deer, elk, etc that I am NOT going to shoot. I make myself tell myself when I would draw, when I would shoot. Because the animal is undisturbed, I get to see if I made the best decision. Sometimes, they walk closer and present a better shot. Sometimes I wait too long. Many times I pick the right time. But it is good practice.

I also focus on the front shoulder when it is getting time to shoot. Is the leg open? Where is my opening? Where is the wind? Analyzing all of those things keeps my mind occupied. Then I focus exactly where I want that arrow or bullet to go. Schwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Start the grill!
Tigger