Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk calling sequence idea

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk calling sequence idea

Postby GPelkhunter » 04 08, 2023 •  [Post 1]

G'day everyone. I'm new to bow hunting and this 2023 season will be my second year.

I've researched a lot of Elknuts sequences and have purchased the app. I really like Mr. Medels lessons and believe in the material he puts out. I have wondered if anyone has tried to simulate a rut, or to 'create' a rut situation. I was curious if anyone has tried a breeding sequence type of set up but had another hunter act like a second bull, more specifically a satellite bull that has discovered a heard bull with a hot cow. Basically goes like this: I start a breeding sequence where I am a cow and a bull and I'm going through the motions of cow calling and then the bull rakes and provide bull language etc. But then the 2nd hunter who is positioned 40 yards (or whatever a person thinks is a good distance?) away (not in a shooter position but more of a situation where you would have a second caller for a Cow Party) and this hunter acts like a satellite and tries to call the hot cow. Then the 2 bulls (myself and the 2nd hunter) go back and forth as if it's a real life situation that happens when a cow comes into estrus. The plan is to have these 'bulls' (the 2 hunters) sound off/ go back and forth and make any REAL bulls within hearing distance think there is a rut happening and they join the party. Once an actual bull sounds off, send the 'satellite' (2nd hunter) to set up as the shooter and the 'herd bull/cow' (1st hunter) works the actual bull from there.

I assume the reason this isn't a popular scenario and not mentioned from Mr. Medel is because either the breeding sequence or slow play is tried and true and the go to system in place so there is no reason to perform what I described, plus I guess the 2nd bull situation is covered by Paul when the antler rattling at the latter part of the sequences is performed, or it's just not practical and will push the elk away. I was thinking of a situation last year where I could have tried this: We knew there was a heard based on the bugles in the morning around first light, but the wolves started sounding off and then the woods went quiet and stayed that way. If a 'rut' were to happen about 200 yards away, would this cause the bulls in that nearby heard to get riled up and participate? Or skip this silly idea and get within distance and do either a breeding sequence or slow play (depending on specific situation).

Curious if anyone has tried something similar or what the thoughts are from people on this site. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel or anything, just something I thought about. Please respond with stories and ideas. Thanks
GPelkhunter

Re: Elk calling sequence idea

Postby Swede » 04 09, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum GPelkhunter. It is great to have you here in our elk camp.
What you describe sounds like a variation of what Jim Horn advocated for an early season calling sequence. I have tried it unsuccessfully. As with all things does your calling fit the situation. Think of calling as a tool in your box of tools. Ask first if a call is right for your situation. Then which call is the best. I literally watched two herds run from some of the best calling I ever heard. The caller is/was a pro and sounded very realistic. The elk were not near as impressed as I was. The caller was not in the right place, as the elk were already call shy there.
Do not follow Paul Medel's how to material like you are using a cooking recipe. Whether you are cold calling trying to locate a bull or are in pursuit of a hot one, your calling if you chose to call has to fit the time and place.
I tree stand hunt and have had more elk come in to my call when I just give out one short location bugle. I find a hidey hole near my stand and give out one short bugle, then I climb up into my stand and wait. It often takes two hours for the elk to come sneaking in silently. Most callers never have that experience because they are gone far too soon.
Best wishes in your pursuit of elk.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 09, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Elk calling is more than just sounding like an elk. It involves what to say, when to say it, and how to say it. The Jim Horn Early Season does work. I've used it successfully many times. But be aware, the elk, both bulls as well as cows, will come in silently every time. So you need to be on your toes. Also you need to plan on at least an hour on each setup. It is an early season technique and may not work later on in the season when elk are more likely to already be herded up.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 09, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Yes sir, I've shared info on an exact Sequence as you mention. It's probably in the App somewhere; I don't recall exactly where or if it's in the New Pro Version of the App.

At any rate it isn't something that I encourage a whole lot because of other Tactics shared that generally get the job done just fine.

Certainly nothing wrong wanting to represent such an encounter! I would recommend having your 2nd bull (the hunter) get back closer to 100 yards away from you & make his way towards you as you trade insults. Having a small set of antlers (I show them & their use in the App) as you two bulls engage rattling them lightly to vigorously along with stomping, do this as you see fit. Antlers are better than using sticks simulating antlers. You should be using guttural groans/moans, pants, wheezing, single note grunts, etc. Make it believable. It's fun to do in the right circumstance!

I've done several Podcasts where I share this exact Tactic along with the sounds used! Thanks!

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Lefty » 04 10, 2023 •  [Post 5]

I love doing a similar sequence with my granddaughter We do a light weight version and make it fun ( and safe) for her. She is often the other bull of cows :D

ElkNut1 wrote:Yes sir, I've shared info on an exact Sequence as you mention. It's probably in the App somewhere; I don't recall exactly where or if it's in the New Pro Version of the App.

At any rate it isn't something that I encourage a whole lot because of other Tactics shared that generally get the job done just fine.

Certainly nothing wrong wanting to represent such an encounter! I would recommend having your 2nd bull (the hunter) get back closer to 100 yards away from you & make his way towards you as you trade insults. Having a small set of antlers (I show them & their use in the App) as you two bulls engage rattling them lightly to vigorously along with stomping, do this as you see fit. Antlers are better than using sticks simulating antlers. You should be using guttural groans/moans, pants, wheezing, single note grunts, etc. Make it believable. It's fun to do in the right circumstance!

I've done several Podcasts where I share this exact Tactic along with the sounds used! Thanks!

ElkNut
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby GPelkhunter » 04 10, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for the responses! I'm going to just focus on the Elknut calling setups and reading the elks emotion based on the elks responses and time of year. Experience will help, and hopefully with practice and patience I can gain encounters to learn from.

Last year I found myself running out of patience. I was trying sequences but was leaving my set ups too early I think (ended up only waiting half hour to 45 minutes) and I was also expecting the elk to respond instead of slipping in quietly. After studying the app more and listening to the advice from experienced elk hunters like the ones on this forum, I'm going to stay put longer and watch/ listen for the elk to quietly sneak up. Thanks again for the replies!
GPelkhunter

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 11, 2023 •  [Post 7]

GPelkhunter, make sure you have elk within earshot of your calling. It does little good when no elk can hear you! (grin) Too, when you know elk are around go through a chosen sequence & repeat, do not give it once & stop & wait!

I will add this, my Son & I have called in well over a thousand elk to range, these elk come in around 10 min to 25 min tops from the start. Nothing wrong with hanging out longer but your scent is also there that much longer. Personally I would move after 1/2 hour. Customize & be creative in your calling setup. Make Sure incoming elk cannot see the calling setup until in bowrange. This is the #-1 mistake hunters make!

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul