Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk hunting fitness: Ankle strength and motion.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk hunting fitness: Ankle strength and motion.

Postby Jhg » 04 05, 2023 •  [Post 1]

As an avid ice skater and hockey player ankle strength has never been an issue... until I hit 60.

Regardless, I am always surprised how much benefit I get from doing a couple simple ankle exercises. There is improvement in balance, mobility and strength. I can tell when I am in the woods or hiking a trail. It just seems I am better at moving and its like being younger, sort of!

1) ankle rolls. Sit on a chair and slowly roll your ankle its full range. For extra credit splay your toes. Don't rush it, but 5 minutes should have both ankles well worked.

2) one leg stands. Just like it sounds. If you need a rail or wall in the beginning use them. Benefit will be gained and you can graduate to free standing one legs when ready.

There are other exercises out there if you are really into it or want variation. Just search ankle exercises.
Jhg

Re: Elk hunting fitness: Ankle strength and motion.

Postby Lefty » 04 15, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Jhg wrote:As an avid ice skater and hockey player ankle strength has never been an issue... until I hit 60.
Regardless, I am always surprised by how much benefit I get from doing a couple of simple ankle exercises. There is improvement in balance, mobility and strength. I can tell when I am in the woods or hiking a trail. It just seems I am better at moving and its like being younger, sort of!
1) ankle rolls. Sit on a chair and slowly roll your ankle its full range. For extra credit splay your toes. Don't rush it, but 5 minutes should have both ankles well worked.
2) one leg stands. Just like it sounds. If you need a rail or wall in the beginning use them. Benefits will be gained and you can graduate to free-standing one legs when ready.
There are other exercises out there if you are really into it or want variation. Just search ankle exercises.

We use to play a lot of hockey,, had a rink in our backyard and the key to the city rink.
I never was that good/great.
I did tear my Achilles tendon hiking out from a backcountry hunt, that was miserable for a year or so!
I have severe neuropathy in my legs and the docs don't understand how I still am able to walk. The Docs suggested maybe it was hockey, TaeKwondo and all that I do that helped develop my body's adjustment and to be able to continue to walk.

But maybe a little bragging here: ( I would like to say relaying a story,, and brag a bit too.) but with ankle strength I had the ability to run on uneven surfaces, Trap and duck-hunt in rivers and marshes. I raced the guy that had the NFL 40 yard dash record across a mow-board-plowed field twenty years back,, He was a bit upset he couldn't beat an overweight shop teacher :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 15, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Jhg, on your #-2 - how long should I stand on one foot?

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Jhg » 04 15, 2023 •  [Post 4]

A few seconds. It is meant to engage whatever muscles/tendons used to stabilize yourself. If it is super easy, add weight. A partially loaded pack or whatever.
Good training for the mountains and all that deadfall and rock.
Jhg

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 16, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Wow, I'm shocked how well that #-2 ankle exercise is working, what a difference! I had no idea my ankles were that weak, thanks!

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Jhg » 04 16, 2023 •  [Post 6]

5lb dumbbell in one hand, raise arm different directions, bend one way to the side and then the other. You will def be working the ankle.
Jhg