Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

My Scouting Trip

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

My Scouting Trip

Postby Swede » 04 04, 2023 •  [Post 1]

I expect to go on a coastal scouting within the next couple of weeks than get more serious and go east sometime after July 4th. I have not decided where I will hunt in September and the State has not approved anything yet either. For now those are my tentative plans. Does anyone else have a plan for a scouting trip? Should I start a "go fund me" opportunity so you jerks can chip in and pay for my gas?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: My Scouting Trip

Postby Jhg » 04 04, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I will be scouting a burn area hard all summer.
I will be searching for seeps, wets and how the elk are bedding in the burn scar. Will they be okay with N slopes for bedding if there is only low/no cover? Travel tunnels or just wandering along slopes to feed destinations? Will this be the year I set some stands?
I have some theories about some of the above and will also be applying my standard " go where they (hunters) don't method.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 04 04, 2023 •  [Post 3]

The age of the burn makes a lot of difference. If the burn was hot or what is called a "dirty burn" is big too. A dirty burn is one where spots get burned and some of the area hardly gets touched. Of coarse topography makes a difference. I prefer large burn areas where there is a lot of new growth including grasses, plus good hiding places and shady spots. One thing to watch out for is competition from other hunters. It seems that hunters like the easy access and the opportunity to see game frequently.
Swede

Postby Pop-r » 04 08, 2023 •  [Post 4]

WAY too early to scout most places any elk are going to be in September. Everything is still on the winter range and couldn't get to the high country if it wanted to.
Pop-r

Postby Swede » 04 08, 2023 •  [Post 5]

The Oregon coastal elk stay in the same area year-round. The snow is not too deep yet, but it is a little early to be parading around in a swimsuit. As for the Rosies Rocky Mountain cousins, I also like to scout them just after the snow leaves at times. If I can see the area before green-up, it is possible to see how it was the previous Fall just before the snows set in.
Swede

Postby Jhg » 04 08, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Scouting can benefit you no matter when you do it, especially if you know elk and elk habitat.
I will scout terrain I know elk use to better know it, scout new terrain I know "should" hold elk come September, scout any time of year I can, making assumptions that can be later verified or rejected. Because it all adds up. It may come down to knowing that small saddle you saw while snowshoeing leads to a another access point you can use to get above the bull who just visually busted you, because you know the terrain from being there "when elk are not" .

1C9A8594-2205-44CA-9F99-F9888E78056D.jpeg
1C9A8594-2205-44CA-9F99-F9888E78056D.jpeg (223.84 KiB) Viewed 678 times

Same areas as photo of rub, but in early March
https://youtube.com/shorts/cn198K9QFps?feature=share

Heat of July...
https://youtu.be/v9iIHeZZErQ
Jhg

Postby Swede » 04 08, 2023 •  [Post 7]

When I go out scouting, I never look for elk. I would just as soon not see one. My cameras will take note of them. As soon as you can go out, you can see the trails they use, wallows/springs they use and their rub trees. That is about all I am looking for where I hunt. I do not have to worry about ownership boundaries or that kind of thing.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 10, 2023 •  [Post 8]

I love going out this time of year; spotting and glassing while the elk are still grouped up.
We just see numbers; the elk certainly wont be there during the season, just fun to watch in the off-season.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H