Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How Long Alone?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Long Alone?

Postby Swede » 03 22, 2023 •  [Post 1]

When elk hunting I usually return to camp daily and usually have someone meet me there. I have gone, and still go 4-5 days alone at times and meet no one face to face. I am wondering how long others stay out hunting with no one to meet up with face to face.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: How Long Alone?

Postby Tigger » 03 23, 2023 •  [Post 2]

we dont hunt alone. As callers primarily, we go out with another person. Once in a while 3 will go together. Much easier to play a practical joke on 1 if there is 3 people. It helps that none of us are cantankerous, old, ornery cusses. :o
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 03 23, 2023 •  [Post 3]

I have spent a week alone. Generally have someone around though. We commonly hunt solo and meet back at camp. I wouldn't have an issue hunting solo for extended periods of time, it just doesn't usually work out that way.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 23, 2023 •  [Post 4]

I’ve done and enjoyed 5-6 days silo with good results, enjoyed it. But… the older I get I do like enjoying the experience with a partner, him/others to help packing an elk out the holes i tend to find my self in.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 03 24, 2023 •  [Post 5]

I think the advantages of solo hunting, whether tree-stand or on the ground calling, outweigh the disadvantages, but I like someone at camp. It is good to have someone to share the day's experiences with, and it is reassuring that if anything bad happens, someone will come looking. Is it necessary to have someone around? Not really. Most seasons I have no one that will help pack out my elk, so I try to avoid places where I can't handle things alone.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 03 25, 2023 •  [Post 6]

When hunting alone now I typically will send a text or call my wife in the morning when I get up. that's usually a text
And the evening I try to call.
Three or four days alone is fairly common however I often have a chance to wave to the ranchers. 5 days without anyone in the camp is common six has probably happened a few times.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H