Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Long time elk hunting partner…

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Long time elk hunting partner…

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 08, 2023 •  [Post 1]

as in, how did you meet them (him/her) and what keeps you hunting with them? It’s difficult at best to lock in with an elk hunting partner that shares your ideals/concepts with the planning and mission conduct of a successful elk hunt. Curious as to what your thoughts are on this topic.

2EE3DBE3-2A67-4208-8C14-696B3730AFC6.jpeg
2EE3DBE3-2A67-4208-8C14-696B3730AFC6.jpeg (233.91 KiB) Viewed 688 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Long time elk hunting partner…

Postby Jhg » 03 09, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I wish. I have "tried on" three partners. The short answer is they did not share the same level of interest or commitment to elk hunting that I had. Then there were the ethics, and the common courtesy partners (I think) should show each other.

So I am super interested in this thread and hearing what successful hunting partners have to say.
Jhg

Postby Tigger » 03 09, 2023 •  [Post 3]

I have about 6 elk hunting buddies. fortunately, all of them have similar levels of commitment. not the same, but similar. We all get along so well outside of hunting and respect each other so we do well. Never a cross word. Rare i am guessing.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 03 09, 2023 •  [Post 4]

I have one main hunting partner that isn't family. We met in high school chemistry class and never looked back. I have 3 other guys that I would certainly hunt with, that are good hunters, have the drive, have the commitment, and are dependable. One is divorced and puts his weekends with kids above all else, which is exactly what he should be doing. The other is a high school English teacher, so his vacation is severely limited. He prefers to spend it on a deer hunt with his Dad and brother if he can, which I commend. The third live in Idaho, and prefers to elk hunt close to home instead of in the zone that we generally prefer to hunt. We have shared camp a few times while he deer hunted, and it was a good setup. I have a couple of others that I've been grooming for a few years now and may actually invite them on a hunt this year.

I turn 39 this August, my Dad who turns 66 in a couple weeks is my go-to hunting partner. He is always willing, but admits that it's getting tougher on him. If I'm going to continue the backcountry hunts for more than another 3-5 years I'm going to need some more similar aged partners in the pool to pull from.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 03 10, 2023 •  [Post 5]

My hunting partner does not even hunt. He is with me on every trip out and does most of the chores around camp including most of the cooking. He goes to town so I can stay our hunting. He shares in everything including the meat but just does not hunt. If my brother can't go or needs to leave for some reason, I have no one else. I go solo.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Billy Goat » 03 12, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Pops.

he passed (cancer) last summer. I have about 8 folks in my elk hunting circle.

always fun and funny in elk camp. Taught me most of what I know. Always an asset in camp.

when I was out of line, he'd call me on it. when I needed help, he was there. always had leather gloves in his pocket- ready to work.

I helped him pack out his 5x5 just a few days after this pic was taken. his last elk, and only bull.

he's my gold standard. Miss you, old man.

BG
Attachments
06 hunting buddy resized.JPG
06 hunting buddy resized.JPG (198.57 KiB) Viewed 652 times
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Lefty » 03 12, 2023 •  [Post 7]

Coming from a trapping background I tend to hunt alone sometimes, my wife and even my kids hunted along with me. Anyway, no long-time elk hunting partners.

My Father in Law bought my first elk tag,, for Montana 34 years ago A hunt for his five sons-in-law. I killed my first elk. Some great guys at the trailhead. but no real partners
My wife and kids and I moved to Utah, Where I hunted with my FIL, nephews and BIL. again no real partners, something didn't seem right. I was kind of the odd man out with my BIL and his BIL and their 5 boys at camp. I heard some rumors about them, our hunting ethics abilities and commitment didn't match.

A neighbor and I put in for a Deseret land and Livestock CWMU hunt , So we were partners for the day.
My neighbor Dave got me back into archery. My wife bought his bow for me. Dave hunted once with me in the desert and got heat stroke.
Since I began hunting the mountains my middle daughter tries to hunt as much as possible, 4,5 days a season with me. However her boyfriend who had not been a hunter has been my partner many of the days Julie wasn't alone.

I do have some neighbors, he split off of their big relative group, they do want me to join their group and I maybe should,

I suspect Ill be hunting the long-ago place in Montana where I killed my first bull next year, I've invited my wife up to camp,,, So if anyone is my long time partner I guess it would be my wife,, She keeps telling me to kill something and come home :shock:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 03 13, 2023 •  [Post 8]

I have had three. My brother who passed away last fall hunted with me from the late 70's to mid 90's. My other one from 1995 thru 2006 or 2007. He cannot ride anymore and has trouble walking.The last one.I have hunted with off and on from the late 70's thru 2021. He is a neighbor. We are trying hard to make it this fall, but he is just starting chemo and radiation treatments. For me it is iffy,but I will go solo if I have to.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 14, 2023 •  [Post 9]

Billy Goat, I'm sure your Dad left you with a lifetime full of memories! Sorry to hear of his passing!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Old school » 03 15, 2023 •  [Post 10]

Mine have been my 2 sons and then my son in law. They are all getting to the age where I’ll be needing to find a partner who can go consistently. Figure my sons and son in law will maybe be able to go every 3-4 years. Enjoy the time hunting with family and don’t take it for granted.
Old school

Postby Elkhunttoo » 03 16, 2023 •  [Post 11]

EF533E78-5841-451A-8759-B253160564CF.jpeg
EF533E78-5841-451A-8759-B253160564CF.jpeg (130.57 KiB) Viewed 594 times

My wife and her brother with his bull he got last year out of a tree stand

Mine has been family since the start. Dad, brothers, uncles, cousins, then wife, father in law, brother in laws…love hunting with the family…

My wife and I have covered a ton of miles the last several years archery hunting together…
Elkhunttoo