Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

A bull with cows. Early archery.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

A bull with cows. Early archery.

Postby Jhg » 02 08, 2023 •  [Post 1]

It is early archery and you are already into elk, cows and a nice 6x6. At this point in your elk hunting life you are not surprised to find a bull "cowed up" this early. The question is, can you get an arrow his way?

You have done your homework and no other archers are in the area. The weather is warm, but there will be a couple days overcast coming up starting tomorrow. Now that you found the elk its time to make a plan.
How would you approach hunting a big bull that is cowed up early?

A41448CA-3852-410E-BFAA-65DA48BF4137.jpeg
A41448CA-3852-410E-BFAA-65DA48BF4137.jpeg (211.77 KiB) Viewed 774 times
Jhg

Re: A bull with cows. Early archery.

Postby Swede » 02 08, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Me? I have killed bulls that were with cows on day one of the season in late August. I hunt them in late August and early September the same way I would in the peat of the rut. I climb up into my tree stand and wait for them to show up on one of the game trails nearby or at the water hole. I called one small bull in with the herd by letting out one cow chirp every 1/2 hour. I knew they were bedded in the timber above. It took about two hours to reel them in, but it worked.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 02 10, 2023 •  [Post 3]

You find a big six-by and the only response is go sit in a tree?

Are you going to let Swede get away with
What would you do?
Jhg

Postby Tigger » 02 10, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Sorry, somehow I missed this thread. Since we are probably going earlier this year, this has some relevance for me. I have neve hunted that early, but my first inclination is to use cow calls and go sparingly on the aggressive bull vocals. Maybe a short little weak halfhearted bugle. The long, slow play. Hopefully Elknut weighs in on this. #Elknut. Pound Elknut. Hashtag Elknut. Number Elknut. Hey Elknut.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 02 10, 2023 •  [Post 5]

I'd wait until October and then go shoot him with my 7mm Rem Mag.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Jhg » 02 10, 2023 •  [Post 6]

I used cow calls first on the guy in the photo. No reaction other than I could tell he herd (heard) me. What got him was a bugle followed by panting. In on a string, twice. I believe that bugle is basically a "hey bud, come over here and meet" sort of bugle.

If its pre-estrus and the bull is essentially just hanging out with his girls vs all amped up with chem changes in his system, this is a good call.

Cow calls are ineffectual 1) he has cows 2) he knows they are not even close to estrus 3)he is like, okay, a cow is over there now. Big deal. It asks nothing of him. Maybe he would come over but its unlikely.
So if you call its gotta be something that asks him an action. Challenge is out, as mentioned. Too early. He is not really protecting anything of value yet (mating a cow is high value) Location is out, it only asks him to either call back, or he can ignore it if he feels like it.

So what call will bring him in? A call that arouses his curiosity and asks him an action.

I will mention that when I tried the bugle the first time it was obvious that he was leaving forever or at least that day. It was now or never to risk (for me) a new call.
You need to be within 30-40 yards to work this call. Get right in there with them.
Jhg

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 10, 2023 •  [Post 7]

Get yourself a copy of Jim Horn's CD about Early Season Elk Calling. Hope you can one. It is DEADLY during the first part of the season.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Jhg » 02 10, 2023 •  [Post 8]

7mmfan wrote:I'd wait until October and then go shoot him with my 7mm Rem Mag.

An effective way to archery hunt for sure. Ditch the bow for a rifle.
Jhg

Postby 7mmfan » 02 10, 2023 •  [Post 9]

Jhg wrote:
7mmfan wrote:I'd wait until October and then go shoot him with my 7mm Rem Mag.

An effective way to archery hunt for sure. Ditch the bow for a rifle.

I have nothing of value to add to this conversation so I chose to make a smart alec comment. Carry on.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 10, 2023 •  [Post 10]

Jhg wrote:You find a big six-by and the only response is go sit in a tree?

Are you going to let Swede get away with
What would you do?

I’m definitely going to let him get away with it…I’m just gonna hope I got to the tree to sit in it before swede does. For from now on I’m sold on the trees!

If I was on the ground I definitely agree the “panting” with soft cow calls is underrated…a little light raking with it goes good to depending on the situation

Great bull by the way
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 02 10, 2023 •  [Post 11]

Labor day We got in on Julies bull (320( She stood at the ready for five minutes. between 8-20 yards ,
The next day we tried to intercept that bull. he trailed the cows out but wouldn't leave them. We were just around the hill , cows came our direction but no the bull
For the next 3 weeks he stayed on private ground.
Julie had another stand off with the bull. a cow busted her again
He would not get pulled away from the cows he could see.

The local guide put a rifle client on that bull and Killed him 20 yards from the fence
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 11, 2023 •  [Post 12]

Advertise/Display in any destination spot the bull is in. Avoid transition times when the group is on the move to a destination. Bedding being #-1 for sure but additional areas can prove successful as well. Closeness to him is a non issue, stay in the area of 200 yards away & Display away! This is good early season & beyond! No cow calls needed. This is the best Tactic there is bar none. When it's the bull that's your target & not cows, spikes this is it! Good luck! There's videos of this on the new Pro Version of the App.

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul