Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

GPS Waypoints - Dollar Value

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby cnelk » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Question:
Let's say you weren't going to hunt elk anymore. (GASP! god forbid)
And you had no need for your GPS.
So you decide to sell it with all your waypoints for all public land OTC spots.

What would your fair asking price for about 100 'tried and true' waypoints?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: GPS Waypoints - Dollar Value

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I wouldn't sell the entire GPS. Auction each waypoint off to the highest bidder, something like:

"Now offering Waypoint 46" - This waypoint has a small, wet seep and wallow which is used pretty consistently. 1.6 miles away from nearest access trail and seldom touched by hunters. Very consistent rut area that normally contains several bulls during any time of the rut from mid to late September. Just NW is an alder sidehill bedding area that is inaccessible from the high rock ridge above it (no hunters accessing from the other side) but only a 45 minute walk from the wallow on sidehill game trails. Two branch antlered bulls taken with archery equipment in back to back years (2008-2009). Good water, feed, and bedding area make this a very good waypoint to own. Starting bid for Waypoint 46 is $???. :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Most of my GPS waypoints are proven tree stand locations. They are places I can set up to kill elk based on over 20 years of experience. Let me turn the question around. What would you give me for them?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:Most of my GPS waypoints are proven tree stand locations. They are places I can set up to kill elk based on over 20 years of experience. Let me turn the question around. What would you give me for them?

Are you saying youre not elk hunting anymore? :)
cnelk

Postby Harmy » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 5]

This brings a whole new meaning to the term "eBay".

Now, we just need everyone to wholesale their waypoints to ElkNut and ElkNut can add a new shoping cart called ElkBay...
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Swede » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I am still hunting and my way points are not really for sale. I understood the question posed was hypothetical. But to add to the interest, lets say I would throw in logged information from 20 years of kills at the waypoints including what was killed, date and time of day for each kill, with other interesting tid bits. I could also document other peoples kills at these sites though it would be with less detail. What would be a reasonable bid at a bow hunter auction?
Swede

Postby Elksniper1 » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Very interesting topic. As after many years of collecting ,and the addition of the internet, everything has value and something like this can be very valuable to some. I would love to see what it would go for somewhere like
eBay . Personally all
My spots will be passed onto others who are willing to respect the animals and the spots. When it comes to hunting, Absolutely nothing I have is for
Sale, nor would I ever buy a spot or info. It cheapens the experience . But that's part of the reason I save all year just to afford my tags . I will put a starting guess, just going off some of the offers I've had for my info. Easily 1000$ per waypoint , most are looking for an easy way
To do everything .
Elksniper1

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 8]

CNELK, I've seen enough of your posts to realize that your way point are probably valuable. While others don't know you from Adam. What would stop people from selling bogus WP's? I can easily look at a map and place WP's on spots that look promising. :-) Also, what would stop someone from double or triple selling WP's? Quality assurance is a big problem in this type of sale so bids will be very low.

If Paul decided to sell his WP's, I'm sure they would fetch a good dollar amount. But that's because of Paul's popularity and not because his WP's are better than yours.

I remember a few years ago an Outfitter tried selling hunting spots. He included WP's as well as trail cam pictures and after one year he gave up on the idea.

Just my 2-cents!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Theelkhunter wrote:
Phantom16 wrote:I wouldn't sell the entire GPS. Auction each waypoint off to the highest bidder, something like:

"Now offering Waypoint 46" - This waypoint has a small, wet seep and wallow which is used pretty consistently. 1.6 miles away from nearest access trail and seldom touched by hunters. Very consistent rut area that normally contains several bulls during any time of the rut from mid to late September. Just NW is an alder sidehill bedding area that is inaccessible from the high rock ridge above it (no hunters accessing from the other side) but only a 45 minute walk from the wallow on sidehill game trails. Two branch antlered bulls taken with archery equipment in back to back years (2008-2009). Good water, feed, and bedding area make this a very good waypoint to own. Starting bid for Waypoint 46 is $???. :D

I'll start the bids at $25! ;)

Buttcrack of Oregon, LOL! I think that's where my In-Laws live.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 10]

LOL!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby easeup » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 11]

this is a fun thread.....

value to me?
lets see ......if the way points are in NM, I cant get a tag there anyway; so value to me is not much.
OTC in Colorado...hmmmm...some of those units are tough hunts..lets see....is this information any different than how to set up or use a call at the right time? No. it is more help just like all of the good stuff in the Playbook. yeh, I am in.

I raise your bid!

if it is in a state I have not hunted like up in the great NW; and I can get a tag on public land; sure it is great value to me.
easeup

Postby cnelk » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 12]

i have a few tree stand spots too.
I wonder if Swede would like to trade one coordinate?
cnelk

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 13]

cnelk wrote:i have a few tree stand spots too.
I wonder if Swede would like to trade one coordinate?

Why don't you and Swede send me your waypoints in a PM and I'll determine if the trade is worth it. ;)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby buglmin » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 14]

No matter how much we care to believe that our lil honey holes are our secrets and only our secrets, believe it or not, other guys know of these spots also. Years ago, in unit 2 in NM, we had a map with hidden water troughs the US Forest Service put in years ago, These tanks were found by accident when hunting, and over the years, between friends, each tank was marked...we killed some good good bulls on these hidden tanks...long story short, we had a real good friend decide he was moving to Texas, sooo, the rat bastard actually sold waypoints to a lot of these tanks on the internet....do you know whats its like to have three or four rigs parked where you wanna hunt in the mornings? These tanks were secrets between friends, no other hunters were ever seen around these tanks, until the wayponits were sold. Guys got so mad, phone calls were made and threats were given. Unit 2 is a tough unit to hunt, very lil water, and to find a tank that is being hammered by elk is like finding a treasure of gold. Its a big unit, low numbers of hunters, and some very big bulls in it...So, would you really sell waypoints?
buglmin

Postby Swede » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 15]

WGI_0049.JPG
WGI_0049.JPG (353.33 KiB) Viewed 11349 times

You big meanies would come in and kill my buddy. He is waiting right now to spend some quality time with me in September.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 16]

buglmin wrote:No matter how much we care to believe that our lil honey holes are our secrets and only our secrets, believe it or not, other guys know of these spots also. Years ago, in unit 2 in NM, we had a map with hidden water troughs the US Forest Service put in years ago, These tanks were found by accident when hunting, and over the years, between friends, each tank was marked...we killed some good good bulls on these hidden tanks...long story short, we had a real good friend decide he was moving to Texas, sooo, the rat bastard actually sold waypoints to a lot of these tanks on the internet....do you know whats its like to have three or four rigs parked where you wanna hunt in the mornings? These tanks were secrets between friends, no other hunters were ever seen around these tanks, until the wayponits were sold. Guys got so mad, phone calls were made and threats were given. Unit 2 is a tough unit to hunt, very lil water, and to find a tank that is being hammered by elk is like finding a treasure of gold. Its a big unit, low numbers of hunters, and some very big bulls in it...So, would you really sell waypoints?

Now that, is a communist rat bastard! I'm sure you'd love to "meet" with that piece of crap just one time out in the woods and "discuss" your displeasure with him. I would and I don't even know him.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Swede wrote:
WGI_0049.JPG

You big meanies would come in and kill my buddy. He is waiting right now to spend some quality time with me in September.

OK, I'll be the first to change cnelk's thread up a bit and offer a coordinate trade. Swede, I'll gladly give you this coordinate (I've taken quite a few big ones here) for your coordinates of where that big bruiser was trail cammed in August. Straight across trade :)... I've sent you mine, please send me yours. RJ

N 47.13591 W 122.64364
WapitiTalk1

Postby cnelk » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 18]

buglmin wrote:So, would you really sell waypoints?

That depends if I like that person :)
I've told more guys where to hunt than I can remember. Free of charge. And they did well. I cant hunt it all

Like you said many spots are known by others so in reality they are not 'Our Spots', just places found on public ground.

But I do know of several hot wallows that NOBODY else knows of... and nobody will, unless you pay... :)
cnelk

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 19]

buglmin wrote:No matter how much we care to believe that our lil honey holes are our secrets and only our secrets, believe it or not, other guys know of these spots also. Years ago, in unit 2 in NM, we had a map with hidden water troughs the US Forest Service put in years ago, These tanks were found by accident when hunting, and over the years, between friends, each tank was marked...we killed some good good bulls on these hidden tanks...long story short, we had a real good friend decide he was moving to Texas, sooo, the rat bastard actually sold waypoints to a lot of these tanks on the internet....do you know whats its like to have three or four rigs parked where you wanna hunt in the mornings? These tanks were secrets between friends, no other hunters were ever seen around these tanks, until the wayponits were sold. Guys got so mad, phone calls were made and threats were given. Unit 2 is a tough unit to hunt, very lil water, and to find a tank that is being hammered by elk is like finding a treasure of gold. Its a big unit, low numbers of hunters, and some very big bulls in it...So, would you really sell waypoints?

Get a rope and dig a hole!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 20]

RJ: I know those Rosies like it wet, but your tree stand location is too much for me. I do not have good enough boots to hunt that very select spot. Lets keep it a secret until I get better waders.
Those coordinates explain why you have a picture of a fishing rod in the ID corner of your posts. Can you fish there, and have you ever caught anything at that location?
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Swede wrote:RJ: I know those Rosies like it wet, but your tree stand location is too much for me. I do not have good enough boots to hunt that very select spot. Lets keep it a secret until I get better waders.
Those coordinates explain why you have a picture of a fishing rod in the ID corner of your posts. Can you fish there, and have you ever caught anything at that location?

:).. Dang it, I'm busted.. It's actually a nice little area in Puget Sound that pretty dang good for the fall King Salmon run and even some Silvers in a good year.. I have got some nice ones there trolling. Was trying to trade you a salmon spot for an elk spot.. I guess it's no deal huh..... ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby buglmin » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 22]

The guy was a good friend, traveled to 3D shoots together. He was big in the local archery club, A fun buy to have in camp...now, you see more trucks and jeeps in there from Arkansas and Texas. Tags are hard to draw cause of the increase of guys wanting unit 2 tags.
Why would you want to sell waypoints? Whats the point? Whats there to prove? Its like going on a guided hunt and the next year going back in there with your buddies on your own. Sorry, but I wouldnt in think of selling out waypoints to anybody. Theres no reason to, I have nothing to gain that I would need. I know what kind of elk hunter I am, killed a lot of elk in several states, and have nothing to prove.
Sorry, just how I feel...
buglmin

Postby Swede » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Buglemin: I agree with you in principle. This whole thread is best understood as a reminder of how valuable our waypoints are. No one is really selling or giving anything away. When I saw RJ's coordinates, I guessed he was offering me the Space Needle for a tree stand. I was wrong, but not too far off either.
In truth I consider my waypoints to be very valuable, but far less valuable than the understanding that was used to mark them. All of my waypoints are replaceable. The friends and family, who I hunt with, are worth even more than my waypoints or even the knowledge I have gained in over 55 years of hunting. I do understand how betrayed you feel by a person you trusted. Fortunately I have many stand locations and 30 days to hunt. I do not feel as vulnerable to losing out due to that kind of act.
Swede

Postby cnelk » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Nicely said Swede...

Got your PM and the same goes for you if you are interested
cnelk

Postby Les Welch » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 25]

The waypoints wouldn't get $1 from me. The kill isn't worth anything to me without the journey getting there. If the journey only consisted of me buying your waypoints and going in to wait for "x" to show up and then me drive the arrow home, no thanks that is worthless to me. I know that this is a hypothetical situation, but its things like these that will bring down hunting, IMO.
Les Welch

Postby stringunner » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 26]

for nearly every waypoint I have logged in my gps I have some hunting story and/or memory specific to that spot.....it would be hard to put a price on the stories/memories. If the opportunity existed to share knowledge of certain areas, hunting spots, etc. I too would have a hard time putting a price on that type of scenario only because I know how hard I have worked to identify some of the spots I have logged. I have always appreciated how some on these forums are so willing to offer up help to guys looking for info on certain units/areas/locations without expectation of a return....how cool though how some times it works out as such to be able to "swap" information and offer advice in return.

But to answer the "what if" question of the thread, if it was about money, I would say many of our locations would be worth quite a chunk of change to someone willing to offer up the wallet.
stringunner

Postby flystrait » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Les Welch wrote:The waypoints wouldn't get $1 from me. The kill isn't worth anything to me without the journey getting there. If the journey only consisted of me buying your waypoints and going in to wait for "x" to show up and then me drive the arrow home, no thanks that is worthless to me. I know that this is a hypothetical situation, but its things like these that will bring down hunting, IMO.

Would you consider guided hunts in the same manner? Hypothetical question of coarse. :D
flystrait

Postby cnelk » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 28]

flystrait wrote:Would you consider guided hunts in the same manner? Hypothetical question of coarse. :D

Ahhhh.... now we are getting somewhere....
cnelk

Postby Herb » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 29]

Everybody BACKOFF!!!!

I am buying all of these prized waypoints from CNELK for $1, hope that's ok with Brad.

I won't use them, I just want his Son to find them just the way Brad got to use them.

I remember carving my Son's name in a tree while setting on a wallow 10 years ago, he is now 11, but I thought it would be cool to show him as he learns all the waypoints I tracked down. That one, in case you want the spot, is the "Low Lucky Wallow", 200 yards below the "Lucky Wallow"!

Call my Son spoiled, fine, I can not wait to have him out there!!
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Postby easeup » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 30]

stringunner wrote:for nearly every waypoint I have logged in my gps I have some hunting story and/or memory specific to that spot.....it would be hard to put a price on the stories/memories. If the opportunity existed to share knowledge of certain areas, hunting spots, etc. I too would have a hard time putting a price on that type of scenario only because I know how hard I have worked to identify some of the spots I have logged. I have always appreciated how some on these forums are so willing to offer up help to guys looking for info on certain units/areas/locations without expectation of a return....how cool though how some times it works out as such to be able to "swap" information and offer advice in return.

It is a shame more hunters and fisherman dont want to share anything that is valuable to them. they come with the old, I worked for everthing the hard way story and you dont deserve my information of help,sort of attitude.

I too have always appreciated most the people in life that showed me how to do something; like the friend of my father that taught me how to catch fish. Or guys like elknut that share a lifetime of hunting knowledge for pennies so that others might enjoy the great outdoors. God bless them all.

there will always be those who take and give nothing in return and there will always be those who just give and give with a smile and expect nothing in return.
I am with you mr stringunner, lets share what we know while we are able because at least one guy we share with will be made a better man for it; and all the others we shared with that took our gifts and used them to our displeasure; well I guess we need to realize that what we gave to them was never really ours anyway.
easeup

Postby cnelk » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 31]

My son has a matching gps and we synch our units all the time.
But I will sell you them herb... With a discount because you're my buddy ;)
cnelk

Postby Herb » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 32]

Ok, discount!!! 50 cents then!!

easeup,

There's plenty of good people out there helping people out....not sure giving waypoints is the same as elknuts tips. I've taken plenty of people on their first elk hunt, fun to see them experience the whole deal. Spilling locations on the Internet is a death wish to a area that you enjoy, much different than teaching the "elk" language.
Herb

Postby Swede » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 33]

One way I perceive people are willing to completely share information and hunting spots is when the photo cards from the trail cameras are all put together and reviewed together. Everyone in camp has all to the same local waypoints. Nothing is hidden and we have no one claiming the most active water holes. Everyone is asking "where do you want to hunt tomorrow"? To me that is the essence of a good hunting pardnership.
Swede

Postby Herb » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 34]

I think the response Cnelk expected from the start was "priceless"!!
Herb

Postby Herb » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 35]

Can't imagine anything hidden in elk camp.
Herb

Postby cnelk » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 36]

You got it herb...

I have helped 7 different guys take their 1st archery elk in the areas I hunt
What fun to experience that!
cnelk

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 11, 2013 •  [Post 37]

Swede wrote: When I saw RJ's coordinates, I guessed he was offering me the Space Needle for a tree stand.

Missed opportunity there.. I should have provided the grid for the space needle as a tree stand :D Not sure you'd want to eat anything you harvested from that site though :?
WapitiTalk1

Postby Coveyleader » 01 13, 2013 •  [Post 38]

i lost my gps this year deer hunting. All i can say if someone finds it and looks the points up they will have some slamming spots in CO WY KS .
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby MTLongdraw » 01 13, 2013 •  [Post 39]

Coveyleader wrote:i lost my gps this year deer hunting. All i can say if someone finds it and looks the points up they will have some slamming spots in CO WY KS .

Thats hilarious. Reminds me of my buddy who works at the optics/gps bar in Wholesale Sports. He had a guy come in a few years ago who said he was an outfitter with a popular outfitting company near Broadus, MT. Same place Eastmans and other big names go and kill huge Muley bucks every year. Anyways his GPS froze up and quit working and he needed to get it sent back to Garmin etc. Kevin played with it for a while but couldn't fix it. Right before the guy walked out of the store he said to him I bet if I get this thing turned on I'll find some killer spots. The guy sort of looked at him all nervous and walked out of the store. Later that night he got it working. It took pictures so there were dozens of 190 "+ muleys with geo tags and waypoints. Most were on public land too. I think the pen and paper came out that night. :D
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty