Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Using the rising sun

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Using the rising sun

Postby Jhg » 01 21, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Consider the wind you hear that constantly when discussions evolve that cover elk hunting strategies for a certain spot.

So the wind can determine how you traverse an area in search for elk and getting into bow range. But the sun can be a huge factor in success. If wind allows, hunt with the sun on your shoulder when it is low in the sky.
I always take this into consideration, but to be honest it is rarely easy to do given terrain features, thermals or wind, deadfall or any of the other things we all take into account as we put our experience and hunt savvy into our actions.

I was hunting a slow steady down slope into a feeding/bedding area that held elk. At the bottom was a small creek, the mandatory thickets of willow and heavy timber. It had nice wets and was always cool. The sun was just filtering through the timber behind me and was lighting up the woods ahead. An elk was suddenly there in front of me, maybe 25 yards. The wind was perfect but I was in motion. However, the elk never knew I was there. The sun was blinding the elk. I was after bulls that day and this was a cow, so out of curiosity I played a little cat and mouse with her to see just what the sun was letting me get away with. I walked back up hill 15 yards, keeping quiet but making little effort to be hidden. I walked back into her as she fed, this time using the sun on purpose. I was able to get inside ten yards. I dropped back off her again and circled ahead, then using the sun put myself right in her path. I waved my arms. Nothing. I took my hat off. Nothing. I broke a dead branch off the tree next to me.

Instant high alert.

The sun was low enough that when you looked upslope it was really blinding. Not like you couldn't see timber or something else up in that direction, but it was very uncomfortable to do so.

15391C8C-7A86-4C96-A92E-87008B6D0ED3.jpeg
15391C8C-7A86-4C96-A92E-87008B6D0ED3.jpeg (51.08 KiB) Viewed 362 times
Jhg

Re: Using the rising sun

Postby Swede » 01 21, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I never thought about using the sun in quite the same way you did but know the sun can sure shine on you, so you are easily spotted. That is the reason I stay in the shadows when I hunt on the ground. Elk can pick up movement quickly so be careful when moving in cover.
I have found it is better to go around openings that to go through them. Even when you do not see animals, they can see you.
It also pays to be in cover when tree stand hunting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 21, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Yep! Sort of like in the old gun fighter movies when they say, "always keep the sun to your back"!

Another great piece of advice is to be aware of what I call thermal areas. When you are walking around, especially on a north facing slope on a warm day, I'm sure many times you walk right through a cool area. These are often very small spots. I call them thermal areas. (Not to be confused with morning and evening thermals). Elk know where these cool spots are and often like to bed up in them. So, when you feel a sudden change in temperature, it's time to slow down to a snails pace. You just might bump into elk in these areas.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 01 21, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Being seen due to the sunlight on you is different from being scented due to variations in the wind. Certainly, you need to consider both. Just remember that if you are crossing through warm sunlit areas and cooler dark areas, that the earth does not warm up all at the same rate. Sun lit draws that the sun does not get to directly, and shady areas warm up slower than places in the direct sun. Your time and route of travel through the forest needs to take into account wind variables.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 01 22, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Lots of hunting with the son on my back!
All game feathers fur or hair really stands out with a low-angle sun.
As an avid goose hunter I have always avoided decoy sets up where the sun could impact shooting, Plenty of birds have flown into the sun,, and were able to fly away .
Sunrise over a very near mountain gave me 50-90 minutes, more of shadows, 1500 feet of gain in 3300 feet

The biggest buck I've ever seen made his getaway straight in line with the sun.

This year elk hunting I was able to glass an area being totally skylined I could actually see part of my truck's shadow mixed into the herd.

And my dayghters shadow was cast up on a tree, the moose stopped, looked at the shadow and she made the 18 yard shot!

Animal tracks can really stand out or be picked out in a low sun too. ,
And those high-dollar coyotes are a blazing white spot in the distance.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H