Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree Stand Calling

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree Stand Calling

Postby Swede » 01 12, 2023 •  [Post 1]

I think there is something here for all of you lunkheads, that run around blatting through your grunt tubes also, so I am starting this thread on the elk forum.
Having hunted elk from a tree stand for 30 years not, I think I have made about every mistake imaginable. I may have a few that you would not think possible too.
The following is the good the bad and the ugly you can consider.
1. Calling works like a charm. Good
2. If you call once in the morning and once in the afternoon for 10 days, you will likely have one time elk come in to check your out. Bad
3. If you call wrong, you may see an elk, but you will not have a shot at it. Ugly
As with any calling scenario, set up is critical. Elk can pinpoint your calling location from as far away as they can hear you. If you want the elk to come in for a shot opportunity, be sure they must come close in before they can verify no real elk is there. That means do not call from your stand! Find a brush patch or draw bottom or something to call from where you are hidden from distant elk or just don't call. When in doubt about your setup; don't call. You do not want incoming elk to hang up and turn away because they suspect a human caller.
I prefer to use one short location bugle. There is no threat involved. It is just a notice an elk is there. Often elk take two hours to come around. I have killed 5 or 6 elk that came in looking for the elk they heard. I have messed up on some too, but it takes about two hours for them to arrive.
If you hear a bugle in the distant forest. Never respond! A bull that has been beaten or one with cows is not going to come into you. And remember, they can pinpoint your location. I said in the beginning of this post that I have made mistakes tree stand hunting. It took me awhile to figure this one out and I turned several bulls away that I believe were just checking before coming into "my" water hole. I guess it was my water hole after I returned a call, as no elk wanted to use it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Tree Stand Calling

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 12, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Tree stand calling !!!! WHY?? You don't hang your stand just anywhere. Usually, you pick a location that elk hopefully will frequent often. Waterholes, wallows, well used trails, etc. Calling is not necessary. The location itself is the calling card.

Of all the elk I have called, I never had a single one come walking in just throwing caution to the wind. As soon as they come to a place where they think they should see another elk or the caller they stop and look around to locate where the sound was coming from. As Swede stated, they know exactly where the sound was coming from. And if they don't see something they can become suspicious. You want to set up your calling location where they have to look around for you or where you can get a shot at where they will stop or hang up.

When tree stand hunting or hunting from a blind, you are ambush hunting. And it is all about location, location, location. No calling necessary!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 01 12, 2023 •  [Post 3]

I agree to a great extent with WW about calling not being "necessary" especially if you are at the only water hole in town, and if all of the game trails pass right by you. Even if they don't, I sometimes just slip into my stand quietly. Where there are options for the elk, I use my call to improve my odds that they will come and check me out. WW is also correct that they are never in a hurry to see the intruder. Never. Don't over play the calling. All you want to do is pique their curiosity.
Swede

Postby DKenn757 » 01 13, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Very good informational post. My big takeaway from it is patience. Growing up whitetail hunting we have a tendency to overuse a call whether it is a bleat or grunt and not let the location work for us. Thanks for this great post.

Swede I found the book and placed it on order. Thank you.

Dee
DKenn757

Postby Swede » 01 13, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Dee. The book was sent yesterday. I hope it is very helpful. If you have any questions about anything relevant to tree stand hunting, please ask. I will try to help.
Swede