Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

tater eaters

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

tater eaters

Postby Lefty » 12 27, 2022 •  [Post 1]

20221227_145105.jpg

Zoom in on my phone pic. These elk are eating from piles of potatoes!!! North of camas and across from the Camas Refuge, just an incredible sight.

I originally wanted to make a trip to the National Elk Refuge today, but that wasn't going to happen. We had enough time to bypass the local wintering elk herd and drove up I-15
North of Camas Id where more than a couple of thousand wintering elk, feeding in equipment yards Potatoe dump,s sand pits, and ag fields

One "big disappointment. :lol: not many big bulls

One kind of neat thing. The elk were traveling under the freeway vehicle tunnels
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: tater eaters

Postby saddlesore » 12 28, 2022 •  [Post 2]

In southern Colorado near Alamosa ,they have been having long elk seasons starting in June to drive the elk off the seed potato fields .When it first started the elk would do the winter migration and return to the mountains come spring. Then it ended up they just stayed there. One article I read said they could ruin a million dollars worth of seed potatoes in one night.

When RMEF and the PA game department first started to introduce elk back into PA, one of the first problems that came up was the elk getting into the fields of the potato farmers.
saddlesore

Re: tater eaters

Postby Lefty » 12 28, 2022 •  [Post 3]

saddlesore wrote:In southern Colorado near Alamosa ,they have been having long elk seasons starting in June to drive the elk off the seed potato fields .When it first started the elk would do the winter migration and return to the mountains come spring. Then it ended up they just stayed there. One article I read said they could ruin a million dollars worth of seed potatoes in one night.

When RMEF and the PA game department first started to introduce elk back into PA, one of the first problems that came up was the elk getting into the fields of the potato farmers.

A neighbor's family started the August depredation hunt in our desert because of damage to potatoes. Kind of a worthless hunt.

The elk were feeding on dumped potatoes. Maybe the damaged from the storage cellars,
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H