Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bang For the Buck

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bang For the Buck

Postby Swede » 12 11, 2022 •  [Post 1]

Ok. What I want to discuss is how you can get the best hunt for your hard-earned dollars.

I will start with a few thoughts that come to mind:
You know if you want to hunt with a rifle, muzzle-loader, or bow. Make the best use of what you have to hunt with. Regardless of whether want to use a guide, have a hunting plan like Indian Summer's, or you want to go totally on your own, it is best to know as much as possible about elk hunting when you leave home for your hunting camp.
If you want to get the most for your money; prepare to be comfortable. Sore feet, wet clothes or no sleep will change the joy of a wonderful hunt into a nightmare.

If you plan to go on your own or with an Indian Summer, hunt plan, know everything you can learn about elk hunting. That way you will be just adding more to your knowledge on the hunt. A lot of things that would just slide by unnoticed, will be an "ah-ha" moment. Things will come together in your mind, and you can ask more advanced questions before and after the hunt. Being a "dude" would be fine on a once in a lifetime totally guided hunt but makes no sense if you plan to continue.

Another thing to decide is which State you want to hunt. This may be far more important if you are going to do your own hunt. It is a good idea to decide on an area based on some rational. If your desire is to get an elk, then look at State elk harvest stats and pick the best unit you can. This may come as a big surprise to some hunters, but a 20% success unit in Washington is as good as a 20% success unit in Idaho if you are only interested in getting an elk. You can look at a summary of bulls and cows killed, and often how many spikes through 6-point bulls are taken. The point is not to decide before you have the facts. Some pretty good elk hunting units take no points.

After you have decided on a unit or units to put in for, learn as much as you can about them. Try to plan on several hunt areas even after you have secured your tag. If Indian Summer is planning out your hunt, you should still look it over on Google Earth to try to familiarize yourself as much as possible with the hunt area.

Please add to this or correct anything you see fit to discuss.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Bang For the Buck

Postby Lefty » 12 12, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Ill let others chime in for a while.

A couple of guys from my camp guided me after a bull one morning,,,,,they did all the calling. It was just so nice not having to lead the pack that morning.

A guided hunt for archery or rifle would be a nice change of pace. A dream hunt on the Apache Reservation would be a bang for my buck ( if I wasn't married :lol: :oops: ) or Maybe Utah Deseret land and livestock CWMU https://wildcountryoutfitters.com/price
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H