Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New Calling Scenario Question

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New Calling Scenario Question

Postby Harmy » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Tomorrow my partner and I are headed to hopefully get his cow. They are located on the south facing side of a ridge about 300 - 400 yards below. It is quite steep above them to the ridge and snow covered. We approach from the North side of the ridge and it would be all down hill from the ridge to the car. I am confident we can slip in and shoot them in thier beds but then we have to slog back up the steep snow hill which I suspect will be huge effort and knowing my partner we will do it in one trip. So, my question is, would it be reasonable to setup on the ridge and do a lost cow or calf in distress call to see if a cow would come up to investigate? My worry is that we would then jeapordize sneaking into the bedding area if one did not come to investigate. Thoughts?
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Re: New Calling Scenario Question

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Curious as to the responses/recommendations you get on this one. I've played around with effectiveness of elk sounds in lots of various situations, including similar scenarios as you're describing. I personally haven't had much luck dislodging elk from a herd from such a distance with the exception of pulling one of the herd's satellite bulls in during rut. You may just be in for a lethal spot and stalk hunt, and, a nasty pack back up the snowy hillside.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Harmy, I've been on many late season cow hunts as you will be. I would not use any calling at all. If I knew where the elk were gong to bed for sure I'd get over there pronto ahead of them! If it wasn't possible I'd get over there & slip in for a shot. The wind has to be in your favor to do so. The only calling that I would use since you know where they are is to stop them for a shot if needed, that would be with the nervous/popping grunt. I will add there are times you get to an area that you felt the cows should be around & found nothing, when this happens look for their tracks in the snow & cow call hoping for a response, then move toward them once located. I would only call if I didn't know where they were in hopes of a response.

Hopefully you'll be sharing a photo like this. It's a cow from a Dec late season cow hunt.(grin)

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCF0027.JPG
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby easeup » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 4]

same here too.
what little late season experience I have with calling has been spotting the cows up grazing along and give a few cow calls every 5 to 10 min, and sure enough they would start grazing my direction. but they did not just leave the group to investigate.
easeup

Postby otcWill » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I would not take any chance with the call that might jeopardize my hunt just in order to save some hard work. But, I am an animal and the pack out is one of the most rewarding expieriences elk hunting has to offer in my opinion! Do it the hard way!
otcWill

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 6]

As far as calling goes, elk just aren't that responsive to calling this late in the year, or in your case this early in the year. We are talking January here. However, elk will nearly always respond to a nervous bark and they'll slam the brakes on for the shot when they hear it. That's just about the only call I've ever had elk respond to this late in the year.

Another thing you might want to think about, is that just because you saw elk there yesterday, doesn't necessarily mean they will be there tomorrow unless they found some farmers haystack nearby. January, February, and March are just tough times of the year for elk. And like I said, unless they've settled in on some honey hole, like a haystack, they are always wandering around in search of food. There is a possibility they could be laying on the same bench you saw them on or they could be miles away in their search for food.

So, I suppose it's a 50-50 chance! Either they'll be there or they won't. In your case, I hope they are there and I hope you get one. No matter what, have a great time.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics