Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Idaho Problems

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Idaho Problems

Postby Lefty » 12 04, 2022 •  [Post 1]

:oops: :P :lol:

The least they could do is separate the draw dates by game species .

Who had fun online on the first!

Idaho Fish and Game (IDFG)
ersndooStpch3

·
To all of our nonresident deer and elk hunters,
Idaho Fish and Game staff sincerely apologizes for the delays that caused frustration with the license and tag sales system on December 1, the first day of nonresident deer and elk tag sales for next year's season.
We experienced record demand for about 200 different types of nonresident deer and elk tags, and during a 12-hour period sold nearly 27,000 nonresident tags. We had about 67,000 customers trying to buy those products on that day, including as many as 49,000 at one time.
Despite anticipating and planning for this high demand, our license sales system and website was overwhelmed for several hours. The resulting delays led to frustration for many customers across all sales channels, including online, in-person, and telephone.
Again, we apologize for those problems and understand your frustration. We recognize the importance of nonresident hunters in Idaho, and we do not take any of our customers for granted. Unfortunately, that was not reflected during the sale.
We will work diligently to improve the process for future high-demand license and tag sales so we can provide all of our customers with the excellent service that they deserve.
We thank you for your continued support of hunting in Idaho.
Sincerely,
Fish and Game staff
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Idsho propblms

Postby wawhitey » 12 04, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Thought about getting a unit 1 deer tag, but i havent been too impressed with what ive seen up there deerwise. Luckily a guy can buy bear, lion, wolf tags whenever he wants, and not have to deal with the black friday kinda craziness, or the cwd stuff
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 12 04, 2022 •  [Post 3]

I didn't participate this year, glad I didn't. It has to change, I just don't see this system being sustainable.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 12 04, 2022 •  [Post 4]

This happens about every year in Colorado. The problem is CPW will not spend money to upgrade for a one day problem .They just keep going to the lowest bidder to handle it. Hey,at least Idaho offers an apology. CPW just takes your money. If you leave,there are a few thousand in back of you to buy that tag.They could care less.
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 04, 2022 •  [Post 5]

It was a complete SH!! show this year, worse than last year. Perhaps I’ll try the Big Sky state APP spring next year.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Jhg » 12 05, 2022 •  [Post 6]

I usually try to refrain from complaining about those who work in game but when I read "despite anticipating and preparing for this high demand" it feels like someone is not taking responsibility for effing up (and Colorado said same thing when this happened). They won't upgrade their server unless they have to. Not running a business after all. Saying basically they could not know this might happen is classic denial and avoids accountability. They made a mistake. They should admit that..... at least to themselves.

Anyway, lets hope for the best and look forward to the day they realize they have a tiger by the tail. In the meantime- anyone got a good elk meatloaf recipe?
Jhg

Re: Idaho Problems

Postby Old school » 12 05, 2022 •  [Post 7]

When they change their system - I’ll play again. Until then - nope. Not going to voluntarily subject myself to that mess.
Old school

Postby saddlesore » 12 05, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Jhg wrote: In the meantime- anyone got a good elk meatloaf recipe?

Wapiti 1 posted one a few years ago, but I can't find it.

I made it this past weekend and it is a variation,but close.

2 pounds ground venison. I used buffalo
3 eggs
1 &1/2 cup of Italian style bread crumbs
1 can vegetable beef ,condensed soup, don't add water
1 medium onion,diced ( I don't add that, bad for my digestion)
Greek seasoning and seasoned salt to taste. (I put about 1/2 teaspoon each in)

Mix thoroughly by hand and pat into a fairly well packed loaf.

Put in a greased larger bread loaf pan.
I use the non stick aluminum foil too.

Squirt some yellow mustard and about the same amount of ketchup on top and spread around. (cover all the meat)

Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 325-350 degrees for about two hours or so until internal temperature is 165

Let it set 10-15 minutes after and it will slice easier.

First night, I have meat loaf and baked potato.
Second night, hot meat loaf/ brown gravy sandwich with mashed potatoes.
Then I cut the remainder into 1/4" slices,freeze, and use it for lunch meat
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 12 05, 2022 •  [Post 9]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:It was a complete SH!! show this year, worse than last year. Perhaps I’ll try the Big Sky state APP spring next year.

I got texts, and phone calls from successful and unsuccessful deer and elk hunters.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 12 05, 2022 •  [Post 10]

Old school wrote:When they change their system - I’ll play again. Until then - nope. Not going to voluntarily subject myself to that mess.

I plan to make some Spirited suggestions,, Ill let their ears burn for a few days first.

We may not be large....But what would each of you suggest as a helpful suggestion?
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 12 06, 2022 •  [Post 11]

There needs to be an option for groups to participate.
- When you login it should have an option to select as individual hunter or group leader
- If group leader is selected, you can enter up to "x" number of sportsmans ID numbers
- Once its your turn to go, anything you buy is applied to all the numbers you input. If there are not enough tags left for that GMU or zone, move on.

At least this way groups have a realistic expectation of being able to get tags together.

The other option would be just to go to a NR draw. Don't mess with points and such, just leave it like their controlled hunts are already, a true lottery. I think that keeps it fair for everyone.
7mmfan

Postby Old school » 12 06, 2022 •  [Post 12]

Allow party applications and do a NM style draw for NR - no pref points.
Old school

Postby Swede » 12 06, 2022 •  [Post 13]

I tend to think Old School's Mew Mexico style tag sales suggestion has real merit. I don't go to the stores on Black Friday because I don't want any part of the rat race. I want no part of a big game tag sale rat race either.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 07, 2022 •  [Post 14]

7mmfan wrote:,,, Don't mess with points and such, just leave it like their controlled hunts are already, a true lottery. I think that keeps it fair for everyone.

I prefer a point system. Just paid Montana their $100 for my March elk draw application.
I have an old Minnesota trapping buddy with a lot of Wyoming points, looking forward to that hunt.
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 12 08, 2022 •  [Post 15]

Lefty wrote:
7mmfan wrote:,,, Don't mess with points and such, just leave it like their controlled hunts are already, a true lottery. I think that keeps it fair for everyone.

I prefer a point system. Just paid Montana their $100 for my March elk draw application.
I have an old Minnesota trapping buddy with a lot of Wyoming points, looking forward to that hunt.

But whenever you institute a point system, it's prone to point creep like you see in MT, WY, CO, etc... I suppose their fine if you plan to hunt them once every 5-6 years and you can accrue enough points in that time to ensure a tag, but for those of us trying to hunt every year or 2 it sure makes it difficult.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 12 08, 2022 •  [Post 16]

7mmfan wrote:
Lefty wrote:

But whenever you institute a point system, it's prone to point creep like you see in MT, WY, CO, etc... I suppose their fine if you plan to hunt them once every 5-6 years and you can accrue enough points in that time to ensure a tag, but for those of us trying to hunt every year or 2 it sure makes it difficult.

Even worse if you are a senior and can't wait those 5-6 years I had to forego sheep and goat , I had bunch of points,but I aged out. I had 17 moose points, but knew I could not draw a bull tag in the next ten years, so I drew a cow moose tag on a RFW property.

With a preference point system an entire generation can be left out if drawing certain tags in Colorado
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 12 08, 2022 •  [Post 17]

I agree completely with Saddlesore's take on the point system. I am facing that situation right now as Oregon has gone to draw only elk hunts for the units I have hunted for years. Now I am faced with choosing a mediocre unit or burning all my points for what was an OTC unit two seasons back. These units were any elk, but now are bull only, and it takes no points to draw. Oregon wants to maximize the opportunity for folks to hunt elk, but it smacks of just making more sales. They have the bid stick so they can take away but give back nothing.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby MidwestHunter » 02 10, 2023 •  [Post 18]

Forgive me for being ignorant, but I am trying to understand Idaho's system in place. This is what I have taken away so far, please correct me if I am wrong, or if you have anything that will add to my understanding.

1) Elk TAGS go on sale Dec 1st. Sounds like it is a cluster, which could be compared to parents trying to get Furbies for their ungrateful children. The Toys r us store that this is at can't handle the traffic, and frustration arises, many disappointments. Toys r us apologizes for only having (5) furbies available for 1,000 customers. The next year, they do the same thing, and do not care to make the process less frustrating.

1A) During the order process on Dec 1st, you specify an Elk Zone for the tag you buy, when theyvare gone they are gone. For Example, "Bannock- A Tag"

2) There is a drawing at a later date in which you put in a specific GMU # to draw a permit. These permits are geared towards reducing crowding, quality hunts, etc? So if you have the Bannock tag, and you wanted to hunt 70-1 unit you would enter the drawing. There is a second choice in case you are unsuccessful and if there are still permits available after the first round.

3) The remainder of the GMU'S that are not listed in the permit draw would be considered "general GMU'S" so hunters can jump around as long as it is their Elk Management Unit (Bannock).

Forgive me for using a specific Elk Management unit and GMU'S, as neither were target for any reason.
MidwestHunter

Postby Lefty » 02 11, 2023 •  [Post 19]

I want to be 100% accurate

If Im not fishing Monday Ill call F and G ,,, and find out what their answer is,,,
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 02 14, 2023 •  [Post 20]

My daughter had frozen waterpipes yesterday, So I was gone early and home after dark,, Ended up working ona horse barn in the afternoon.

Anyway, I did call our SE region office.

1. She said applications will be the same next year.

She gave me a number in Boise to suggest that F and G having the deer and elk on different days So please call with that suggestion 1 208334-2592
Idaho residents will not be offered a 2nd nonresident tag.

There will be a list of return tags ( zone and Unit April 21st
Controlled hunt applications May 1st till June
And hunts will be specific to the units

I have drawn on antelope on 2nd draw and met others with 2nd choice tag.

Hope this helps
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 02 14, 2023 •  [Post 21]

I made the phone call to Boise,,,
use this link

Please

https://idfg.idaho.gov/rules/big-game/proposals/elk
Lefty