Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Area Conumdrum

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Area Conumdrum

Postby LDriver » 12 02, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I have been hunting a couple of OTC areas (basically the border of 2 OTC areas) in CO for the last several years, however each year as CO is closing off more OTC areas in he state, the hunter population seems to be increasing. I was able to get my BIL into bowhunting this past year, but he wasn't able to go out with me. Did a couple of scouting trips and really enjoyed it so he wants to hunt with me this upcoming season. Problem I'm having is the hunter population. With more OTC hunters coming in, the elk are definitely getting harder to find, not sure where they are going yet, but not where they have been 3-4 years ago. I was going to move to a draw area, but it isn't a guarantee draw area for 0 points which is the situation the BIL is in. I can put in for that draw area and take a chance that he will draw, but I definitely want to get him in the woods to experience bowhunting and not just early season scouting. This a chance for me to introduce another new hunter to my passion and bring another new hunter into our beloved sport. Thoughts on which would be the better option, stay in the OTC area and try to get away from the crowds while he gets at least a point for 24 season, or put in for draw area and hope he pulls a tag and if not drag him along or the experience? One thing I didn't mention, success rate in the OTC area averages around 5.5-6%, draw area success rate is ~21%. Not real sure what the best thing to do is...
LDriver

Re: Area Conumdrum

Postby Swede » 12 02, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I would put in for a decent (no high point draw area) draw unit and go there as often as possible. Use the best otc area only when you don't draw. Just my opinion.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 12 02, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Supposedly CPW is going to come out with a change in allocation of licenses in 2032 and maybe more draw units,with less OTC. Some if that involves archery tags.What you are seeing is direct result of that.They were suppose to announce it this past fall, but at the last Hunters Round Table meeting they said it was put off until after the first of the year. Knowing CPW, I would not put a lot of faith in that. They tried to put up the idea that most hunters would be satisfied to hunt every 3-4 years.That didn't fly.

Some of the units that were changed recently from OTC to draw was because archery hunters were complaining about over crowding and less elk.

I'm not poking fingers at you, but take your problem of getting your BIL into archery hunting and multiply that by a several thousand and you will get an idea of the tremendous expansion of archery hunters in Colorado. Probably double that for rifle hunters. Muzzle loader hunters,not so much because it is all draw and not as many tags are given out, but the number of applicants still climb.I would not put a lot of faith in that 21% success rate of draw units. That is for all seasons, all manner of takes ,bulls,cows, and calves. Archery never gets above 10-11%.

Archery hunters are their own worst enemy.They have tremendous backing in lobbying the CPW with what they want. They want that 1 month season with fewer restrictions on archery tags, get rid of muzzle loader hunters, bear hunters turkey hunters and grouse hunters in"Thier "season. The solution is to break the archery season into 3-4 different seasons and make archery hunters choose which one to hunt just like CPW did with rifle hunters.

Basic fact. There are only so many elk to kill. Double the number of hunters and the success rate gets cut in half. In a sense, Colorado has reached and surpassed it's carrying capacity of hunters and it will only get worse. It is the case of "There are too many hunters, but I want to add to that so I can hunt".

It is either put up with the OTC crowds or hunt every 2-3 years. Personally I would put in for your draw and let your BIL tag along. He will learn as much as if he had a tag probably. You might even consider getting him to put in for a cow tag which may be easier to draw. Let him get his feet wet with that.

Unless you can get someone to pack you in 7-8 miles to get away from the crowds, I would not even consider OTC anymore..Even then you won't be alone.

Not meant offend, there are no easy answers except maybe go to Wyoming or Montana to hunt.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 12 02, 2022 •  [Post 4]

My first thought is make sure his first hunt is a positive experience. So to start with I’d talk to him about his goal. If he has a license will he put pressure on himself? Will you put pressure on yourself? A first elk hunt is always exciting but there are lits of one and done hunters who realize right away that it’s a TON of effort and with success rates what they are there’s a good chance those efforts, and the cost, will get no reward. They don’t like that so an Illinois deer hunt starts sounding better. If he’s already out scouting with you he has a better idea of what to expect than other rookies.

If he’s ok with hunting and not killing anything you have more options. Such as your otc area. Since you know your way around it makes life easier than hitting new country.

I would not want a first timer to go on a completely elkless elk hunt. If it were me I’d be thinking I want him to at least see elk. Is he seeing any on any scouting trips? Seeing animals is fun. More importantly it’s motivating. Not seeing a single animal for 3 or more days has the opposite effect.

Apply for general licenses in Montana and Wyoming. You can draw with zero points. If not buy points in those two states. In the meantime get him out somewhere even if he has no tag and show him what elk hunting is really like. It’s different than scouting.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 12 02, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Indian Summer wrote:My first thought is make sure his first hunt is a positive experience. So to start with I’d talk to him about his goal. If he has a license will he put pressure on himself? Will you put pressure on yourself? A first elk hunt is always exciting but there are lits of one and done hunters who realize right away that it’s a TON of effort and with success rates what they are there’s a good chance those efforts, and the cost, will get no reward. They don’t like that so an Illinois deer hunt starts sounding better. If he’s already out scouting with you he has a better idea of what to expect than other rookies.

If he’s ok with hunting and not killing anything you have more options. Such as your otc area. Since you know your way around it makes life easier than hitting new country.

I would not want a first timer to go on a completely elkless elk hunt. If it were me I’d be thinking I want him to at least see elk. Is he seeing any on any scouting trips? Seeing animals is fun. More importantly it’s motivating. Not seeing a single animal for 3 or more days has the opposite effect.

Apply for general licenses in Montana and Wyoming. You can draw with zero points. If not buy points in those two states. In the meantime get him out somewhere even if he has no tag and show him what elk hunting is really like. It’s different than scouting.

I fully agree
saddlesore

Postby LDriver » 12 22, 2022 •  [Post 6]

So after talking to my BIL and getting his take, we are going to put in for the draw area and if he gets pulled so be it, if not he is going a long to learn and just get out in the woods. We will do a couple of scouting trips this summer to get a lay of the land that I am interested in hunting. This new area has more ATV/motorcycle trails than I am used to in my previous area, but there are some good sized roadless areas between the trails. Should be a good time regardless of the outcome of the hunt.
LDriver

Postby Swede » 12 22, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I think that is a good solution. In the future if you want to hunt together, you will have close to the same points so you can put in as partners and be on an equal footing.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 23, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Idaho is headed to an assigned unit for all hunters and that's OK with me.
I just don't want the mess that has been happening for OOS.

Being retired, and sorta enjoying my "in the mountains time" :lol: and my health dramatically improved,. Im getting points in other states.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H