Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hiking in the dark

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hiking in the dark

Postby Jhg » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I don't mind hiking in the dark (no big bears where I hunt). I see and hear stuff at these times that is well worth the effort to be there.

Turn up your volume to get the most out of this
https://youtu.be/SBnfmfA30JI
Jhg

Re: Hiking in the dark

Postby 7mmfan » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I love hiking in the dark. It was just what we did when I was kid, and is just what I do now. My 5 year old got to go on a nice little night hike with me this year and he was nervous as first but I think he enjoyed it.

I have had a few acquaintances over the years that DID NOT enjoy hiking in the dark. Was always just weird to me to be afraid of the dark.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 3]

I hike a little in the dark once I am in my hunting area, most of it is riding. A couple of years ago though,I bumped a huge herd of elk,but ended up killing one of them.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I wait until good daylight. I am not worried about the boogieman but tripping and falling are a real hazard since I have somewhat poor night vision.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 5]

I actually enjoy the trail in/out in the dark, always have for some reason.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 6]

I had an early morning paper route. Checked traps in the dark as a kid. And I love the sounds of coyotes,

Trained our daughters to not be afraid of the dark.

While Scoutmaster We made a few hikes in the dark even the Pacific Crest Trail.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Jhg » 11 30, 2022 •  [Post 7]

X paperboy here as well. On purpose I got up extra early to be sure that the whole route would be done mostly in the dark. Sunrise happened just about when I would get back home. I saw interesting things through the early morning windows in my small town. I guess people didn't realize there was a kid walking around out there in the dawn dark wondering why they were doing what they were doing.
I know now, but back then, not so much.
Jhg

Postby wawhitey » 11 30, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Around here, i enjoy hiking in the dark. If the ground is white and theres enough moonlight to see where im going i wont even mess with my headlamp, rather save the batteries. But in grizz country, walking in the dark unnerves me, not gonna lie.
A guy thats willing to hike in a few miles before daylight tends to have a leg up on the competition. Or a guy thats willing to stay on the mountain until the end of shooting light, and hike out in the dark. Lotta guys go hotfooting it back to their rig during the last couple hours of light.
There have been a couple occasions i can recall though where im hiking along in the dark, unconcerned, and got hit with an unexplainable case of the heebie jeebies for no reason at all. Maybe something was in fact watching me, and it was a 6th sense kind of deal. Dont know why else id get randomly creeped out doing something i do on a regular basis without concern
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Jhg » 11 30, 2022 •  [Post 9]

wawhitey wrote:... Maybe something was in fact watching me, and it was a 6th sense kind of deal. Dont know why else id get randomly creeped out doing something i do on a regular basis without concern

There was a very good study that proved we do in fact have the ability to "sense" danger without having any cues or information (like seeing something or hearing it). Makes sense that we have evolved with this ability.

I have experienced exactly what you describe. My experience was mid-day.
Jhg

Postby Indian Summer » 12 01, 2022 •  [Post 10]

I enjoy hiking and riding horses in the dark. I know I’m putting a full day in if I’m doing that.

My brother was hiking out in the dark once with an elk quarter on his back. We’ve all had the “Did I just hear a twig snap?” moment. He turned around…. nothing. A little further “Man that was definitely a thump”. Turned around…. nothing. Not too far after that “Those are definitely the thumps of something coming at me!!!”. Turns around….. mountain lion! 15 feet! Coming fast! Rips his pistol out of the holster and takes 4 Hail Mary shot over his back as he’s running. Haha! Never heard or saw that cat again.

I had a bull follow me for a mile in the dark. Bulls were going crazy that evening bugling their heads off. I was between two of them but it got dark so I hurried up and bailed out planning to come back in the morning. I wasn’t trying to be quiet at all and one of the bulls heard me walking. He trailed me bugling every 30 to 60 seconds the whole way. The wind was in my favor all the way. He came pretty close a couple times and had me a little nervous.

One night riding my horse down a narrow valley I saw a shooting star. Then another. So now I’m staring up at the million stars and all of the sudden 3 in a row. Then wow! One shooting star after another. 2 or 3 or 5 at a time. Meteor shower. How cool!

I sleep like a rock when I’m hunting so if there are any bumps in the night by camp I’d never know it.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby LDriver » 12 02, 2022 •  [Post 11]

I really enjoy hiking in the dark, especially during season when I can see without a headlamp, makes it easier to get into an area without being seen and have the ability where I hunt to hear the animals doing what they normally do without the pressure. Although I do have a tendency to come out of the woods when the shooting light starts to get lower and move to a spot more in the open so the light lasts longer. Hasn't worked for me yet, but in the darker timber you lose light so much faster than in the open.
LDriver

Postby Native Indian » 12 29, 2022 •  [Post 12]

Like most of you, I enjoy hiking/walking to/from my spot in the dark. It's just peaceful. If the moon provides enough light and it's not a firearm season, I won't use my light either (provided I'm familiar with where I am at). If it's firearm season, unfamiliar territory, or the dark of the moon, I have my green or red headlamp burning. Elk/deer don't see it (they see blues and white light) and it won't mess up your night vision.
Native Indian

Postby Lefty » 12 29, 2022 •  [Post 13]

wawhitey wrote: There have been a couple occasions i can recall though where im hiking along in the dark, unconcerned, and got hit with an unexplainable case of the heebie jeebies for no reason at all. Maybe something was in fact watching me, and it was a 6th sense kind of deal. Dont know why else id get randomly creeped out doing something i do on a regular basis without concern

Well often those heebie-jeebies moments ,eternal turn a light on

But sometimes not seeing eyes reflecting back when not knowing is better
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 12 29, 2022 •  [Post 14]

Welcome to the forum Native Indian. I have read and enjoyed all of your posts. Maybe one of these days I will get to slide into a Johnny-Jump-Up tree saddle for a test ride. It is good to read from someone with experience.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics