Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Learning From the Gurus

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Learning from the Gurus (experienced elk hunters) - How do you approach this?

Option #1 - see thread
No votes
Option #2 - see thread
No votes
Option #3 - see thread
100%
Option #4 - see thread
No votes
Option #5 - Other (please respond with your own ideas).
No votes

View results

Learning From the Gurus

Postby Swede » 11 28, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I suppose there are several ways to approach or consider advise given by experienced elk hunter. I will list what comes to mind immediately. You may add your own ideas as you like.

1. I read/listen carefully and try to follow their advice and build my hunts around their input. Some are my hero's and I almost worship them.

2. Some I follow loosely, but I have been burned, so I take some information and leave what I don't like.

3. I look for pearls of wisdom and use it to add to my own experience. A new trick or a small change to what I have been doing can put in in the "successful" group.

4. They are a bunch or egotistical jerks, so I blow off anything they say and do my own hunt. They are just lucky to hunt easy success areas. Where I hunt it is really hard to succeed.

Personally, I think #1 and #4 are a total mistake.

The #2 answer is a little better, but what you take, and leave may be totally arbitrary. Did you use it at the right time in the right area? Did you do everything correctly? So, how do you know what to take and what to leave? Remember, nothing works every time. Nothing!

I believe that #3 is the ideal, but it too has its limitations. For #3 to work well for you, you need some experience, or it is just like #2.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Learning From the Gurus

Postby saddlesore » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Lot of good info can be had here or any other page on the internet and other sources. As always take the information, cull out what does not apply or work for you and use what you can. This applies to elk hunting, dog training ,mule training, duck training, or even raising kids.

I could give an example from right here on this forum, but I don't want to ruffle any feathers
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 3]

I've also followed the suggestion of others who were successful exactly assuming it was the best way to hunt that area. It resulted in a huge waste of time for me and no animals. When I stepped back from it, really looked at what that person was doing, I then applied the strategy on a more limited basis to my own hunting strategy and immediately began to find success.

As is usually the case, somewhere in the middle is the best option. Swede's comment that for #2 or #3 to work, you have to have some experience also applies. I've got enough experience under my belt that I can usually apply the sniff test to new information or suggestions by people I don't know. When it comes to elk hunting, some things just don't smell right, and if it doesn't smell right it usually isn't. Maybe it worked for that guy one time somewhere, maybe even there, but it's doubtful that it will provide consistent success.

Like has been said, every situation, hunt location, season, etc... is different. What works here may not work over there. I experienced it myself this year in an area I'm very familiar with and have had great success in years past. I went in with a firm expectation of what was going to happen, but the weather threw us a curveball and I had to adapt. If I had told a guy going in blind what he was going to see in this area and do to be successful, he would have failed miserably and told me I was full of it.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I added a poll to Mr. Swede's thread. Good topic!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Two guys that I directed where and to how to hunt it this past season found elk, but didn't connect. Another one here got into elk three years in a row where I sent him, but didn't fill his tag . A person can't do much more than that.

Another young fellow, years ago, I took on his first hunt bragged on his shooting ability. We rode into a small herd of elk and he asked what he should do.I told him to get off and s hoot one. He missed.

I am not saying I am a guru, but some times no matter you do, they don't listen to you.

I remember the first three times I when elk hunting, the advice those older fellows gave me was spot on. I used it about every year.
saddlesore

Postby 7mmfan » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 6]

saddlesore wrote:
I remember the first three times I when elk hunting, the advice those older fellows gave me was spot on. I used it about every year.

What was that advice?
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I voted for option 3. It was a no brainer. And that doesn’t just go for things picked up from experienced elk hunters. I love reading detailed hunt reports from anyone including beginners. It’s not uncommon for teachers to learn a thing or two from students. I always tell myself it’s worth reading even if I only pick up one little tidbit that never crossed my mind.

The other thing is I pay attention to two things. The person’s style of hunting and they type of area (cover and terrain) they are hunting. Every piece of advice is based on that. For that reason I pay no attention to private ranch hunts. I know how to kill deer. But when it comes to elk hunting on public land were always learning.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Jhg » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 8]

In the beginning I read everything start to finish. As I gained experience I was able to edit out the idiots, the "all hat" guys and the ones who did not represent my own attitudes about hunting. Now, when I read or listen to elk content, I watch for those little gems I can apply and had not thought of.
(Paul/elknut is notorious for hiding pearls. He has gotten a lot better at parsing out the good stuff, but you have to be sharp to catch the hidden nugget in his content and there is a bunch of it. Look for what isn't being said. Ask yourself why did they choose that drainage, or call, or why no other hunters? These hidden facts tell you important things.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 9]

When I talked to Elknut I found it difficult to understand how to fit in all of his calling advise. It could be too much to fit together in my mind and situation. I found it best to stick with the basics and add where I could fit his advice in.
His setup advice was very basic, but absolutely critical to getting elk on the ground. I think it made more of an impression on me than anything else.
My tree stand experience has taught me the value of patience. I think that is not understood by most and the difference between Indian Summer and many other experienced hunters is his ability to stop and look for extended periods. Setup well and be patient. The elk are in no hurry, and you should not be either, except at some strategic moments.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 10]

Trying to understand and use Pauls' advice is like trying to drink out of a fire hose.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 11]

Saddlesore, I think that you made the same case, just more succinctly. I think folks will understand it better as your analogy paints a clearer picture. :o
Swede

Postby Lefty » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 12]

Im guilty on all accounts!!! I can't mark all the boxes.

Part of my "problem" I had lots of trapping, and outdoor experience. I had also been taught how to learn from a man that never passed 8th grade, The brightest educator and one of the smartest men I've known, I learned to sit in front of the classroom.
I can usually weed out the BS, and certainly enjoy others' experiences, teachings, and wisdom.
One of the TV Bowhunting "Gurus" I knew long ago ,,, and how he was then,,,, , Then other Gurus, well I joined his forum as soon as I could :D .
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 11 29, 2022 •  [Post 13]

saddlesore wrote:L,,,,, I don't want to ruffle any feathers

Im giving you permission to ruffle feathers 8-)
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 11 30, 2022 •  [Post 14]

Lefty wrote:Im guilty on all accounts!!! I can't mark all the boxes.

Part of my "problem" I had lots of trapping, and outdoor experience. I had also been taught how to learn from a man that never passed 8th grade, The brightest educator and one of the smartest men I've known, I learned to sit in front of the classroom.
I can usually weed out the BS, and certainly enjoy others' experiences, teachings, and wisdom.
One of the TV Bowhunting "Gurus" I knew long ago ,,, and how he was then,,,, , Then other Gurus, well I joined his forum as soon as I could :D .

My father never went further than fifth grade. Immigrated from Italy when he was five. Quit school to work in the coal mines to help feed the family.Same here Smartest man I ever knew and started me out hunting right
saddlesore

Postby Jhg » 11 30, 2022 •  [Post 15]

My father-in-law fits that type. GED because he was severely maimed by a dog attack senior year in high school and did not finish. The guy running the GED test (taken like 20 years after the dog attack) said my father in law scored the highest he had seen anyone score in over 12 years running the test.

Super curious mind, reads everything. Retains it all. Worked in a slaughterhouse 15 yrs. Then truck driver. He took no vacation for 5 years straight to put my wife through college. He is as smart as my Dad, who graduated from Harvard and was as smart as any man I ever met and that is saying something.
Jhg