Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

There Is No Magic

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

There Is No Magic

Postby Swede » 11 13, 2022 •  [Post 1]

There is no magic formula for getting elk. The ingredients for success are knowledge of elk and their habitat, skill, patience and perseverance. Notice I did not include great physical stamina.
I am indebted to many including some of you for what I know and use for hunting elk. Application of the things I have learned has led to skill.
Knowing when to wait and when to draw and shoot are just a small but important part of hunting skill. Not giving up and waiting tirelessly are the essence of patience and perseverance. It is easy to give up when things are not going well but watching old hunting dvds will not fill your freezer.
Maybe you see things differently or maybe you can add to what I have posted here. Lets have a conversation.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: There Is No Magic

Postby saddlesore » 11 13, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Could not agree more.Especially the part about physical stamina. The last ten years of my hunting career I was in pretty poor shape, health wise.Too gimped up to do much exercise , but I pushed on as hard as I could,until this past season.My body and doctors said no more.

I will include the desire. Some call it being an elkaholic. You have to have the want to. Forget about football,basketball, baseball,whatever. You have to go chase elk.Think about it 365 days a year. In 2018, I killed my last bull. A nice 6x6, at about 11,000 feet, solo hunt. That one about used me up and I have only taken 2-3 cows since then. Each being harder and harder..If you don't have the desire, you will be one of the 85% that go home empty handed every year.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 11 13, 2022 •  [Post 3]

saddlesore wrote:I will include the desire. Some call it being an elkaholic. You have to have the want to. Forget about football,basketball, baseball,whatever. You have to go chase elk.Think about it 365 days a year. In 2018, I killed my last bull. A nice 6x6, at about 11,000 feet, solo hunt. That one about used me up and I have only taken 2-3 cows since then. Each being harder and harder..If you don't have the desire, you will be one of the 85% that go home empty handed every year.

Amen.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 11 13, 2022 •  [Post 4]

We get to make our hunts what we want them to be. Or at least I try to do that.
I use to put more energy into some hunts that most could never do, Getting up earlier, hiking in further, staying out later, and hunting in conditions most run from.
Now I'm nearly the opposite. Often for a variety for reasons
I've turned into one of those guys that like to see the sunrise, maybe knowing I'm experiencing things others never will,
Sometimes there is magic in sharing with others
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 11 14, 2022 •  [Post 5]

We are talking about getting elk.I think most also get out to enjoy the outdoors and solitude that goes along with it. If I didn't have an elk tag in my pocket, I would not have been out in the cold,snow, and nasty weather
saddlesore

Postby 7mmfan » 11 14, 2022 •  [Post 6]

I don't have much to disagree with here. When it comes to killing elk everything that's been posted is accurate. I'll make one small adjustment in that while physical stamina may not be a critical aspect of killing elk, it SHO DON'T HURT! I have successfully hunted and killed elk in close proximity to roads and people many times. More recently though I've found more predictable success by accessing animals that are further, or blocked by terrain features of some form that the majority of hunters aren't willing to navigate. I have the physical stamina to do it, and I enjoy it so I will continue to do it. More power to the guys that kill them close to the road, some day I might get one there too.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 11 14, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Can't remember any I got close to a road. As long as I could crawl into a saddle I could get it done.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 11 14, 2022 •  [Post 8]

I do not mean to say being in good shape is not preferable to being old or out of shape, but not being able to run a marathon fueled on pinon seeds is not necessary. It is not a substitute for any of the other things that make for a successful hunt. I like to stay in shape and exercise year-round. I do not get in better shape just because elk season is getting close.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 11 15, 2022 •  [Post 9]

I know what you're saying Swede, and you're correct. Being in Ironman condition is not a prerequisite for killing elk. We all get it done different ways, and that's the great thing about elk hunting and the crux of your first point. There is no magic formula, you have to figure out what works for you and learn how to fool the elk you choose to hunt.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 11 15, 2022 •  [Post 10]

I might sound a little defensive about the physical condition issue. I have gone from being in excellent condition where I could probably have run a marathon. I worked and hunted in the forests hiking long hours with little or no problem for years. Now I am older and have to find another way. I have to go slower or sit in my tree stand, but it is not about me or the way I hunt. I want just about anyone that dreams of elk hunting to know that unless you are very physically handicapped, you can effectively hunt elk. And better than that: you can get one. If there is a secret to success, it is just being at the right spot when the elk come around. After that you need to be in position and be able to make a good shot.
I thank the Lord that I can still pack out my elk by myself. I also like help. I do appreciate help.
I digress here: A few years ago, I went hunting with RJ and his friend Joe. Joe not only helped RJ and me pack out; he deboned my elk parts. That was great and much appreciated.
Swede