Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Trying to plan for September.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Trying to plan for September.

Postby mandrroofing » 01 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

First of all im not one of thoughs guys that wants you to tell me were the elk are 8-) .Last year i hunted elk for the first time ever.i hunted in Colorado GMU 65,i did ok and got on a few elk but wanted to try some were elce.I was looking at GMU 78,from what i could find the kill rate was not to bad.Has anyone hunted here and is there any info that you may be willing to share? South san juan and weminuche could be an option?lol I have no idea. The thing is im gonna be picking the GMU for me and my buddies and i dont want to lead them into the unknown so im trying to get as much info as possaible.
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Re: Trying to plan for September.

Postby buglmin » 01 08, 2013 •  [Post 2]

South San Juans?...where do you want me to start? I'm from Pagosa Springs, and moved back last summer. I was away for 11 years, but hunted it every year as a non resident...first of all, we dont have the elk we had 6 or 7 years ago. We had major winter kill in 2009 and 2010, somethin F&G dont tell you. The bull to cow ratio is bad, and most bulls killed are small rags, lil four points. There has been a high number of bow hunters in the area the past few years, camps and trailers everywhere, with hunter driving the roads and calling from the roads trying to locate bulls. If you find a waterhole, lock your treestand, and know how to handle the situation when you walk in and find someone else in your stand.
As far as the Nuche...the trailheads have so many trucks and trailers parked there the guys park their rigs on the side of the road. Lots of guys wanting to backpack in 5 to 8 miles. And now, because of idiots killing moose, or killing elk and only taking certain cuts of meat, we found six bulls with horns tnd backstrapes and some of the hindquarters taken, F&G will be watching the area really hard. And if you walk out with an elk, you better have the meat the F&G thinks you should have, or else face wanton waste of big game charges. The Nuche is getting hunted hard, and now outfitters from other areas are hunting it. Last fall, the thrird week of the season, there was 13 trucks and trailers parked at the Pioson Park trailhead...7 of those were outfitters.
We cover a lot of ground to find elk now. Private property we once were allowed to cross is worthless cause guys dont read signs or think they can point jump and get away with it. We had charges pressed against 8 bowhunters last fall for tresspassing before word got out. And these guys had been behind signs for over a week hunting country they legally couldnt access. If they would of made the right phone calls, it would of saved them several thousand dollars in fines.
If you want to hunt GMU 78, be prepared to cover lots of ground. Dont be disappointed if you dont hear elk bugling every day. Hunt as high as you can, and cover as much country as you can. Try to access country that you think will be over looked by other hunters. Because of the low numbers of elk, thats why I always try to draw tags in New Mexico or Utah. If I do draw tags, then I just plan on hunting elk around here with a gun, and pray for snow to push the elk down and herd them up.
buglmin

Postby mandrroofing » 01 08, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Buglin,thank you for the honest reply.it sounds like the quality in 78 has went down hill.its very difficult to know what's true and I don't mean your post I mean the co. Gmu stats I have read.if anyone could give me a starting point that would be great,I will be prepared to set a spike camp if needed.I don't want you alps honey holes spots just Maby areas that you have heard from the grape vine?is any of the white river otc?
mandrroofing

Postby buglmin » 01 08, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I think the White River is OTC. If youre still interested in GMU 78, look into the fish lake area. I used to love hunting the opal lake country. Big aspen patchs. Also look into the turkey lake area. Sometimes its a great place, other times the black powder guys hit it hard. Windy pass used to be good, but an outfitter from the valley hunts it hard. Way up high on East Fork, Quartz Lake area. Good area, but it gets hunted. Outfitters hunt it, but its a big big area. Lots of good mule deer up there also. If I was going to hunt the Nuche, I would drive as far as I could on the Mosco road and then head north.
buglmin

Postby mandrroofing » 01 08, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Hey guys,I'm a lil tight on cash and want to make sure the elknut playbook is worth the money for a poor boy?
mandrroofing

Postby easeup » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 6]

except for the $1 roses I used to buy, it wil be the best dollar you ever spent. :D
easeup

Postby Lefty » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 7]

mandrroofing wrote:Hey guys,I'm a lil tight on cash and want to make sure the elknut playbook is worth the money for a poor boy?

I got my playbook a couple years ago for Christmas. *I am now a 4th year archer
Somewhere it was suggested to bring the playbook on the hunt. I kept mine in camp and would read a bit before sleeping. In a sence the playbook helped me reflect on the day and prepare better for the next day.
On another forum someone mentioned "elk are not whitetails" and I had used whitetail techniques, the playbook changed all that.
The playbook and this forum put a bull 30 yards from me and another 22 yards. It would not have happened otherwise.
The senrios are very well done
Yes and other than the inexpensive flowers it is a great buy,.. It wasant what I thought it would be, so small,.. yet way more than I expected
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby pointysticks » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 8]

yup. doing the usual scattering of money around to country in the form of draw attempts. all hail marys IMHO. whatever. ever since i worked out that virginity thing, what else do i have to pray for? :D
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby mandrroofing » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 9]

What's better CD or book?
mandrroofing

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 10]

mandrroofing wrote:What's better CD or book?

Both are very good tools for elk hunters. I have the audio CD in my truck CD changer and listen to it very often. The playbook is an exceptional hands on/field guide that is a staple of my elk camp/pack. Both are under priced compared to their actual value ;) I would recommend you do your best to swing this package deal from the Eklnut store ( #03 Package: ElkNut's Playbook, 100 pg hard copy - Sounds By The Elk CD w/bonus MP3 - 4 Pack DVD's Volumes 1, 2, 3 & 4.). It'll pay dividends time and time again.

If getting just the Sounds of the Elk CD, or, the Playbook?.... I'd recommend the playbook.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Elknut's Playbook is definitely worth the money. Unless you are very experienced and able to consistantly get elk doing what you are, then Elknut's Playbook and DVDs are worth more than camo, rangefinders, binoculars and GPS. I would rather know what I am doing than have any or all of the items I just listed. Elknut's information will equip you to have more close elk encounters and inform you how to deal with the critters when you have your get together. Knowledge it the best tool you can take with you on your hunt.
Good reliable and useful info. was really hard to obtain for many years. Reading magazines and books would add only a little to what you knew. I read as much as I could, watched videos, and spent many seasons hunting hard just trying only to gain a little more knowledge. Now days good information is available and it is cheap. Elknut and many other here want you to be a good hunter. I much prefer to hunt around excellent hunters than a bunch of people squaking iheir elk calls and pushing the elk out of the area. I am more than happy for the hunter to get an elk in the same area I hunt. It is encouraging. Ya: I know I got to preaching there. :)
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby mandrroofing » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Ok guys i got the #3 combo set from elknut.Im really looking forward to learning this Exciting world of elk hunting.Even though i did not bag an elk last sep.I did get to draw back on a nice bull (IMO) and for my first trip that was priceless to me!just the thought of persuing elk gives me chills.lol i caint wait!
mandrroofing

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 13]

mandrroofing wrote:Ok guys i got the #3 combo set from elknut.Im really looking forward to learning this Exciting world of elk hunting.Even though i did not bag an elk last sep.I did get to draw back on a nice bull (IMO) and for my first trip that was priceless to me!just the thought of persuing elk gives me chills.lol i caint wait!

And another elknut is born :) Honestly, just by owning (and absorbing) even a portion of the knowledge contained in the DVDs, audio CD with narrative, and the playbook, you'll be light years ahead of many elk hunters who have not discovered Elknut's comprehensive information.. Congrats and good luck! We expect a full book report in 30 days ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ