Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How Far Do You Go?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Far Do You Go?

Postby Swede » 10 19, 2022 •  [Post 1]

A brand-new elk hunter wants to fill his tag. He has heard great things about elk hunting and elk hunters. He knows nothing specific to elk hunting. He wants you to assist, doing whatever you will do to help. What is fair chase and how for, short of doing the shooting, would you go to get this hunter his first elk?
Would you lead them around (guide), take them to your favorite spot, call or set them in your stand, or just give them advise?
What kind of help did you get to start with, and would you go to greater lengths to assist someone new today?

Just curious.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: How Far Do You Go?

Postby saddlesore » 10 20, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I have given about a half a dozen hunters my favorite spots. Some on this forum. I have provided Google Earth photos with trails marked,where I have shot elk, and how to hunt the specific area. Two elk hunters for this year and a whitetail deer hunter

Twice while hunting I have taken hunters into an area, sat them on a stump or rock and they missed the elk when they shot.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby six » 10 21, 2022 •  [Post 3]

I have personally taken 6 newbies over the past 20 years. 3 of them have killed elk. I've called for them and put them on a good wallow. If the opportunity presents itself I wouldn't hesitate to take someone next year. I am a little more picky now on who I take tho. Hunting alone is better than huntingvwith the wrong person, but that is for a different thread.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Lefty » 10 21, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I've passed on lots of nice bulls to give my daughter and Andrew an opportunity. I've gone to some extremes for my daughters, and the reward is even sweeter!
I even passed on a really big bull when a bull was in front of my daughter just to watch him mess up at 7 yards. I hadf a perfect shot at 19.

Waterfowling I have shared locations and likely passed on hundreds and hundreds of shots on geese so newbies could get a shot.

I think I do have one regret about newbie situations. While walking in early one Montana morning I met up with some kid who wanted to sit where I had planned to hunt. He wanted to sit on that rock.
Three bulls passed that location that morning, I couldn't understand why he wasn't shooing.
Fish and Game had been out checking hunters, and found out from another hunter the kid didn't have a tag and had used the "I'm coyote hunting to the fish and game!!"

I gave u[p a location opening day of the goose hunt a couple of weeks back. that had geese. Some young kids called and asked, I passed on that hunt, they killed their 15 geese and 21 ducks ,,, :lol: and a case of shells.
Ive swapped banded geese for unbanded birds,,, always get a kick out of that.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Billy Goat » 10 21, 2022 •  [Post 5]

our group has taken many newbies over the years, including this year.

the learning curve to this is steep, so if I can flatten it a bit for them, we do. still, its up to them to make the hobby their own. Most have, but not all.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat