Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

WapitiTalk1 "Out of Office"

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

WapitiTalk1 "Out of Office"

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 08, 2022 •  [Post 1]

Finally! After a long off season, I'm hitting the dusty trails in the morning for far away elk woods. I may be out of the net into early October, it depends on how the wapiti cooperate. I'll be mostly out of cell service for this year's adventure.

OK, you know the deal when the WapitiTalk head cook and bottle washer is out and about (and, has extremely limited cell service). Behave yourselves on our humble elk hunting forum. No cussin', no spittin', no drinkin', follow the forum rules, no staying up past 10 on a work/school night, no driving of my car, no posting of funny pictures of Swede in his tree stand, and no harrasin' of each other (except for the MODs, you can harass them all you want). I have a friend working the new member activations so that mission is covered.

Good luck to all who are already out there, or, are heading out in the next month. I wish you all a safe and prosperous adventure in the elk woods! RJ

BigBull.jpg
BigBull.jpg (79.03 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: WapitiTalk1 "Out of Office"

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 08, 2022 •  [Post 2]

OH BOY! Her we go! What are we going to do to Big Red this year? :o How about some Mustang hubcaps and a new Road Runner (Beep Beep) horn for starters.

Carry on comrades :lol:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 09 08, 2022 •  [Post 3]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:OK, you know the deal when the WapitiTalk head cook and bottle washer is out and about (and, has extremely limited cell service). Behave yourselves on our humble elk hunting forum. No cussin', no spittin', no drinkin', follow the forum rules, no staying up past 10 on a work/school night, no driving of my car, no posting of funny pictures of Swede in his tree stand, and no harrasin' of each other (except for the MODs, you can harass them all you want).

BigBull.jpg

So basically no fun. No fun at all. THANKS DAD.

Good luck RJ, shoot straight, and keep your powder dry!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 09 08, 2022 •  [Post 4]

He said we couldn’t drive Big Red. Never said nothin about modifying it or trailering it. Here we go!! Let the ideas roll! The wood grain siding fell off cuz Swede used Scotch tape last time so we need some of that. And LED lights.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 09 08, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Too busy to be a rascal. In my office. A bit smokey, haven't heard a bugle, Horrible cell, when I have it. And I'll need to turn on the heat tonight.

And loven it
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 09 08, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Tigger wrote:He said we couldn’t drive Big Red. Never said nothin about modifying it or trailering it. Here we go!! Let the ideas roll! The wood grain siding fell off cuz Swede used Scotch tape last time so we need some of that. And LED lights.

I've been stocking up on JB Weld and that custom color spray paint we worked up last year. No time wasted this year.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 09 13, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I think I may have broken one of RJ's rules with my first post since getting back. Anyway have a great hunt RJ and the rest who haunt these threads.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 11 08, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Hey, bossman. You've been awful quiet about your trip to the Cowboy State?
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 11 08, 2022 •  [Post 9]

7mmfan wrote:Hey, bossman. You've been awful quiet about your trip to the Cowboy State?

Being gone that long, there has t be some stories
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 09, 2022 •  [Post 10]

Didn’t bring one back from Wyoming guys. Hunted very hard, hunted smart but no cigar. My buddy loosed one arrow at a decent bull but touched the only branch that could possibly screw up the shot. Beautiful country, God willing and the creeks don’t rise, I’d like to head back there but…..with horses.
WapitiTalk1

Postby 7mmfan » 11 09, 2022 •  [Post 11]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Didn’t bring one back from Wyoming guys. Hunted very hard, hunted smart but no cigar. My buddy loosed one arrow at a decent bull but touched the only branch that could possibly screw up the shot. Beautiful country, God willing and the creeks don’t rise, I’d like to head back there but…..with horses.

Decided not to head back with the big iron?
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 09, 2022 •  [Post 12]

7mmfan wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:Didn’t bring one back from Wyoming guys. Hunted very hard, hunted smart but no cigar. My buddy loosed one arrow at a decent bull but touched the only branch that could possibly screw up the shot. Beautiful country, God willing and the creeks don’t rise, I’d like to head back there but…..with horses.

Decided not to head back with the big iron?

We were set up to do it Rory. 300 PRC and 300 WSM on standby, both dialed to the nuts. Decided to burn all of our allotted leave time in the archery season. With the exception of that not killing one thing, it was a pretty good hunt.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 11 10, 2022 •  [Post 13]

Since nothing was added to the meat pole, I suspected you did not fill your tags. That does not shock me as good hunters come up short many times. I think there is a lesson here for everyone. Often magazine articles and internet forums make elk hunting success sound easy. It rarely is. Personally, before I invested in horses, I would book a hunt with a guide. Just my opinion.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 11 10, 2022 •  [Post 14]

Swede wrote:Since nothing was added to the meat pole, I suspected you did not fill your tags. That does not shock me as good hunters come up short many times. I think there is a lesson here for everyone. Often magazine articles and internet forums make elk hunting success sound easy. It rarely is. Personally, before I invested in horses, I would book a hunt with a guide. Just my opinion.

I can guarantee it would be cheaper than keeping these hay burners all year,but then what would I do the rest of the year .Riding is one of the very few things I can still do.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 11 10, 2022 •  [Post 15]

I do not know about RJ, but I don't have the place to keep a couple of horses. I do not have a horse trailer, etc. etc.
I suppose I could get a drop camp somewhere, but that too comes with its perils.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 11 10, 2022 •  [Post 16]

Swede wrote:I do not know about RJ, but I don't have the place to keep a couple of horses. I do not have a horse trailer, etc. etc.
I suppose I could get a drop camp somewhere, but that too comes with its perils.

Here is how it usually goes.
A person finds a trained horse or mule he likes and buys it. $2000-$5000
Then finds out he needs a saddle, bridle, breast collar ( with a mule britching) $1500-$3000.
Grooming tools, water tank, tank heater for winter, lead ropes,hobbles, high line $500
Electricity cost for tank heater ,$25/mo, 5 months, $125
Horse trailer. Roadable at least $3000
Truck to pull it with $10,000 min.
Vaccines,shoeing, vet care $1000 basic.
Years supply of hay at $15/bale ,$1500
Grain at $20/50 pounds, 2 pounds a day, for a year $300

Then he finds out,he really needs a pack horse too. Another $2000
Another pack outfit "$1000
Another years supply of hay,grain,vet care ,shoeing. $2800
Now he needs a two horse trailer. $6000
Bigger truck to pull it with,another $10,000 .

If he thinks he needs another pack horse or mule, the added cost is astronomical because then he needs a three or four horse trailer, more pack outfits etc.,etc,. etc.
This is assuming that he already has a few acres with barn and corrals to keep them in, because boarding cost is outrageous.

All this and some yahoo who didn't think ahead, comes to your camp and offers you a six pack or bottle of Jack Daniels to pack his elk out 6 miles back in and in a hell hole a person has to saw or axe a trail to get it

Did I mention few ER visits from getting kicked,stomped on ,bucked off.

Yea,I did it all.Running 4 -6 pack animals and a saddle mule in my younger days, but I was a slow learner. Just me and one old mule now.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 11 10, 2022 •  [Post 17]

More than a few years ago a neighbor asked me if I would like to have their horse. Their daughter had gone off to college and the hay burner was abandoned to do what hay burners do. I mused about the offer a little and said, I could use the horse if they would take it to my camp and leave it tied off to a tree nearby with a lead rope. The conversation ended abruptly when I said something about wanting some good bear bait.
The Malheur National Forest and the Siskiyou N.F. where I worked have abandoned horses. They are not all wild as some have brands, and many have a known origin. I do not know if you could gather up a couple for hunting purposes, but it is illegal to shoot them. You can sometimes adopt them. Oh, lucky you. :lol:
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 10, 2022 •  [Post 18]

There is an old saying that goes something like this. ( Never was a horse that couldn't be rode. Never was a cowboy that couldn.t be throwed! ) I can relate to both!!!!

I had horses for many years. I buried the last one up on the hill behind the house a couple of years ago. And I'll guarantee you, if you want a horse for hunting, it is a heck of a lot cheaper to rent one than it is to own one!
>>>---WW---->

Postby saddlesore » 11 10, 2022 •  [Post 19]

>>>---WW----> wrote:There is an old saying that goes something like this. ( Never was a horse that couldn't be rode. Never was a cowboy that couldn.t be throwed! ) I can relate to both!!!!

I had horses for many years. I buried the last one up on the hill behind the house a couple of years ago. And I'll guarantee you, if you want a horse for hunting, it is a heck of a lot cheaper to rent one than it is to own one!

Them Sombero horses can be a challenge at times Bill.Especially now since they have reduced their string
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 10, 2022 •  [Post 20]

Yikes, I’m not buying a team of horses, I’d just be renting a few ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Tigger » 11 11, 2022 •  [Post 21]

Know how to become a millionaire by owning horses? Start with $2 million!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tigger

Postby Swede » 11 11, 2022 •  [Post 22]

While RJ is out being Rory Wrangler, I think I will sit in my tree stand and read a good cowboy book. I will get all of the horse adventure I need in the warm afternoon.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 11 12, 2022 •  [Post 23]

The real reason Im not totally retired,,, my wife and daughters horses,,
Andrew bought pack goats,,, what a bargain.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
saddlesore wrote:
Swede wrote:I do not know about RJ, but I don't have the place to keep a couple of horses. I do not have a horse trailer, etc. etc.

Here is how it usually goes.
A person finds a trained horse or mule he likes and buys it. $2000-$5000
Then finds out he needs a saddle, bridle, breast collar ( with a mule britching) $1500-$3000.
Grooming tools, water tank, tank heater for winter, lead ropes,hobbles, high line $500
Electricity cost for tank heater ,$25/mo, 5 months, $125
Horse trailer. Roadable at least $3000
Truck to pull it with $10,000 min.
Vaccines,shoeing, vet care $1000 basic.
Years supply of hay at $15/bale ,$1500
Grain at $20/50 pounds, 2 pounds a day, for a year $300

Then he finds out,he really needs a pack horse too. Another $2000
Another pack outfit "$1000
Another years supply of hay,grain,vet care ,shoeing. $2800
Now he needs a two horse trailer. $6000
Bigger truck to pull it with,another $10,000 .

If he thinks he needs another pack horse or mule, the added cost is astronomical because then he needs a three or four horse trailer, more pack outfits etc.,etc,. etc.
This is assuming that he already has a few acres with barn and corrals to keep them in, because boarding cost is outrageous.

All this and some yahoo who didn't think ahead, comes to your camp and offers you a six pack or bottle of Jack Daniels to pack his elk out 6 miles back in and in a hell hole a person has to saw or axe a trail to get it

Did I mention few ER visits from getting kicked,stomped on ,bucked off.

Yea,I did it all.Running 4 -6 pack animals and a saddle mule in my younger days, but I was a slow learner. Just me and one old mule now.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 11 12, 2022 •  [Post 24]

Give up that dream of being a cowboy,,,, Red is so much easier to manage in the barn.

And going in the back country you get to become a wrangler,, not a hunter
Lefty