Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Opening Weekend - missed the opportunity

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Opening Weekend - missed the opportunity

Postby Wyo67 » 09 06, 2022 •  [Post 1]

Took a couple days off work to get out for opening day and it was unbearably hot (mid 90's) here in central WY this past weekend. Record highs in most areas. Nevertheless, got out opening day and spotted a lone small raghorn as the sun was coming up, got close and decided to pass as it was the first hour of the season and the first time I had drawn this highly coveted area known for large bulls. Sure enough, I hear some antlers rattling in the distance and move to the next ridge over and spot 4 bulls coming up from the bottom. These two were sparring with each other. Not highly charged, just feeling each other out as if the opening rounds of a boxing match - the other two continued to feed going up the hill. Couldn't close to archery range due to open terrain and the wind, so all four eventually passed.
Sparring.jpg
Sparring.jpg (264.83 KiB) Viewed 834 times

Later that afternoon, this guy responded to a location bugle. Attempted to close the distance, but he met up with a second bull and headed down to feed/water on some private. Managed to get on to him the next morning and get the wind right and closed in for a shot, but sent the arrow right below him. Had the shot pinned for 40yds, but my partner later said he had him ranged at 52 from where I was at. Let him know to please share that kind of info in the future... Watched the bull as he worked his way up the opposite ridge and occasionally called out towards us to show ourselves. Got a good look on both sides and verified he wasn't hit - recovered the arrow and found no blood, only fletchings damaged by the sage brush.
6x6.jpg
6x6.jpg (237.05 KiB) Viewed 834 times

Back at it again in a few days. Hoping the weather cools a little bit as predicted - and a reminder that uphill/downhill shots out here in the open sage grass can be deceiving. :oops:
Wyo67

Re: Opening Weekend - missed the opportunity

Postby Jhg » 09 06, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Tech diapers.
This is one of my complaints about archers running compounds. Without a rangefinder telling which pin to use you can't hit a thing. Its not that hard to learn yardages in the wild. And considering how accurate a compound is you should be able to drop an arrow into a 10 inch high/low window from any pin just by using your own experience. I wouldn't be surprised if in the long run its more accurate using your own experience rather than a rangefinder. Anyway....
Sorry for being blunt and my criticism is for almost all compound shooters and is not specifically directed at you. Misses happen regardless. Been there, done that.
Jhg

Postby Wyo67 » 09 06, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Criticism heard. "Tech Diaper"? Good one. Now tell us why we should use feet/horses/mules to get to and around the hunting grounds instead of trucks/jeeps/ATVs.

We all use tech in some form or other.
Wyo67

Postby Jhg » 09 06, 2022 •  [Post 4]

The everyone uses toilet paper (we all use some type of tech) argument misses the point. I suppose it comes down to the brand.

I use carbon shafted arrows. But I can tell you yardage to within 5 all day long. Carbon shafts do not "think" for me or allow me to not learn a skill. Thats the difference. They both can "help". But one does something for you that you can do better yourself.

That as a nice bull. I can image the feeling after missing. I have done that exact thing, no range finder involved.
Jhg

Postby Billy Goat » 09 07, 2022 •  [Post 5]

thanks for the story Wy067.

I hope the weather is cooler on your return trips. :)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Wyo67 » 09 07, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Jhg wrote:The everyone uses toilet paper (we all use some type of tech) argument misses the point. I suppose it comes down to the brand.

I use carbon shafted arrows. But I can tell you yardage to within 5 all day long. Carbon shafts do not "think" for me or allow me to not learn a skill. Thats the difference. They both can "help". But one does something for you that you can do better yourself.

That as a nice bull. I can image the feeling after missing. I have done that exact thing, no range finder involved.

No worries bud. Sometimes this social media thing rubs this old timer the wrong way. If we were around a campfire sharing a beverage, I'm sure we'd have a pleasant banter back and forth. Good luck, stay safe and stick a big one!
Wyo67