Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The bull who knew too much

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The bull who knew too much

Postby Jhg » 07 31, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I will call him Charlie. Charlie was a 5x with heavy main beams as big round as a mans forearm. He was also a big bodied elk, one of those exceptionally heavy bulls that might actually have been "...800 pounds!"
Charlie was 8 years old and had reached that ripe number by pluck, luck, and gumption. Pluck because he was by nature tough and had, as it has been said, no quit in him. Luck, because no bull elk lives to 8 (or beyond) without some form of divine intervention, or luck, as some would have it. Gumption, because Charlie was a herd bull. Not all bulls have the mental attitude to be the herd. Its a born thing. They have it or they don't. Like alphas or "A" personalities. Born, not made.
I found Charlie on a hot hot late summer afternoon. I was above a horse trail, maybe 1/2 mile. Hard to tell though, because when scouting steep slopes they have a way of seeming farther. And higher.
A crow flies, but an elk hunter toils.
Charlie had himself a little meadow tucked between two very steep finger ridges. You kinda had to want to go there to get there. It was the kind of place that got walked around. There was a nice seep feeding a narrow band of high octane green. The north side was timbered and thick. Cool breezes filtered in the trees. The south side was a hothouse, rocky and peppered with tough wizened pines here and there.
Charlie had it good. If you came up the draw, he saw you enter the meadow bottom from where ever he might be above you. A swift walk for Charlie took him over the nearest ridge and gone. If you wormed yourself around to drop down from above the infidelity of the breezes would betray you. Maybe, you could play the thermals? No. Charlie knew about them too and placed himself where they betrayed you, not him.

I saw Charlie. He was an elk after all, not a ghost or a deity. He was standing in a shadow, watching me. He turned giving me his rear and was over the ridge. I was impressed. His muscles rippled under his fur in waves of power and vitality. I decided right there and then to hunt Charlie opening day. If he was still in that little hole of safety.

4B8026FA-8907-4FDB-837B-E8117A1480A9.jpeg
4B8026FA-8907-4FDB-837B-E8117A1480A9.jpeg (171.7 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
Jhg

Re: The bull who knew too much

Postby Jhg » 07 31, 2022 •  [Post 2]

When I scout, my basic personality guides how I do that. It is my nature to look for and understand nuanced clues that lead me to secrets. I think it is because I am the youngest of 5 siblings. I grew up watching, being careful and most of the time being invisible. To be otherwise was asking for a good beating. My brother especially was quick to hit so I learned to navigate every day by those realities. When elk hunting it is easy for me to think like a prey animal.
I found Charlies spot by ignoring the dry and lifeless area below his hideout. From below it looked like the it held no promise. From below it looked to climb higher would only dead end at the rocks and small cliffs that visually dominated the perspective. I figured that the timber was green just below those rocks. And green is water. The only way to know if that meant a seep, and elk graze, was to walk it. I would say 90% of the time there is no seep. Just sub-irrigated timber, no real graze, an old bone or half degraded scull. The seep needs to be there to hold an elk. For how long the animal will hold there is the question. A day. A week? Three weeks? I think 2+weeks is about the max I would consider reasonable. Charlie was staging for the early fall in this little pocket. Would he be around opening day?

I was willing to find out.

27068E86-C825-4770-9456-CCB0A0C51145.jpeg
27068E86-C825-4770-9456-CCB0A0C51145.jpeg (151.33 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
Jhg

Postby Jhg » 07 31, 2022 •  [Post 3]

9EC8F1C7-F8DD-48A9-8ADF-A951E30A58DB.jpeg
9EC8F1C7-F8DD-48A9-8ADF-A951E30A58DB.jpeg (222.15 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
Jhg

Postby Jhg » 07 31, 2022 •  [Post 4]

When Charlie went over the ridge I was not worried he would never return. Why, I am not sure. It seems elk, if generally without pressure, will tolerate a certain amount of human intrusion. I am sure there is a limit and I am sure each animal has its own level of innate wariness unique to them even in its universal nature.
Humans pass through, and the life of the woods returns to its normal rhythm.

CEEEF5D4-022A-48C7-B5FF-71A6A336CB38.jpeg
CEEEF5D4-022A-48C7-B5FF-71A6A336CB38.jpeg (209.8 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
Jhg

Postby Swede » 07 31, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Great story, JHG. Best wishes.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 08 01, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Opening morning came and the plan was to hunt into Charlie. I did not return again to his little oasis up on the mountain, not wanting to bump him permanently out of there. I had no way to know if he was still holding in that green, but then again, it really didn't matter. If he was "around" that would be good enough. I would find him and almost anywhere else would be better than trying to take him in his fortress.
The camper was cool and the woods outside quiet. It takes effort to roll out of a warm bedroll. But thats what we do and my pack and my bow already the night before near the door. Breakfast is a fast thing no coffee no eggs no bacon. Time enough for those when the hunting is done. I was timing my departure to put me at the top of a small saddle right about shooting light. That moment was waiting there like an old friend an hour away from now. My hunters heart was full of expectation as I walked away from the camper into the darkness that only retreated for my headlamp.

C747FA79-F05E-43AB-92B3-F9FFADF495F4.jpeg
C747FA79-F05E-43AB-92B3-F9FFADF495F4.jpeg (69.55 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
Jhg

Postby Tigger » 08 01, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Oh this is good. real good.

I am waiting for picture of Charlie's loins cooking over a campfire. Mmm. Loins.
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 08 01, 2022 •  [Post 8]

All of the sudden I’m inspired to write a story of a memorable bull. I’ve met several. For over 9 months now I’ve had an image burned into my memory of a bull that is still walking. He’s a 6 point but it wouldn’t matter if he wasn’t. His habits just seemed to issue a challenge to me.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Jhg » 08 01, 2022 •  [Post 9]

02DC0DFA-9554-4E39-931D-ED4238FE5CA9.jpeg
02DC0DFA-9554-4E39-931D-ED4238FE5CA9.jpeg (170.38 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 08 01, 2022 •  [Post 10]

Those rare locations where Charlies call home are still around.
Plauing in their bedroom and their yard can be tough

I got this old Charlie in his house just on the edge of the bedroom. If he hadnt gone on a short stroll looking for that late hottie he likely would have spotted me trying to sneak
in. He was old, but still weary. The wind was prefect

DSCN0345Small.jpg
DSCN0345Small.jpg (72.83 KiB) Viewed 2391 times

Then there was Big Charlie. three years after this photo he had chosen to lay in the shade of a Lava flow. kicking the two other bulls out of the secluded hidy hole. Near the place he rounded up cows the 3rd week of September
The same handful of his beds for over a month. Crippled a solo bachelor, To be killed by a pair of black wolves and their off spring. :(

Ive posted this pic a few times Big Charllie took a lot of my summer time. never could find his sheds . I never met anyone else that knew he existed.
2013-08-01 07-48-49.JPG
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 08 02, 2022 •  [Post 11]

And now back to our regular program!

You were hiking up in the morning and…..
Indian Summer

Postby Jhg » 08 02, 2022 •  [Post 12]

There is something special for an elk hunter walking a dark mountain opening day. I was on a trail for the first quarter mile and turned off the headlamp, trusting the innate sense we are all born with to avoid obstacles, but in todays world we almost never use. I walked down into a slight ditch and felt the thickened air that lay there push over my face. I turned here and headed upslope toward the saddle. It was easy going, the fire had made it so. The trees seemed to appear and disappear like greeters for some event. My compass in my left hand glowing just enough and with the familiar benchmarks as guideposts, shooting light found me about 100 yards below the saddles subtle undulation on the ridge line. Perfect.

I waited. I was listening, feeling actually. Waiting to lock in to the woods rhythm. Until my animal did that I would wait because I was a better predator when I became part of the place I was hunting. It didn't take long, and I climbed up into the saddle, past the tiny seep under it and past the jumble of rock that marked its center. I was now on the N side of the ridge. Now, the thermals that had been so favorable on the hike up became my bedevilment. They flowed down into the canyon in a steady, robust stream. I walked down slope 20 yards and then cut right to bisect the thermal and hunt everything in front of me, knowing the bargain ruined everything below wherever I walked. But that is elk hunting- making choices. Balancing pros and cons. Learning to use what is offered you and turning what little it might be to your advantage.

CDA40E3D-4CA1-4294-8A61-2E21DB7D6DDE.jpeg
CDA40E3D-4CA1-4294-8A61-2E21DB7D6DDE.jpeg (219.86 KiB) Viewed 2381 times
Jhg

Postby Swede » 08 02, 2022 •  [Post 13]

I am enjoying the story Jhg. The way you write allows me to join you on the hunt. Your descriptions are similar in style to Zane Grey's. I am just waiting to get the scent of the air to put me there.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 08 02, 2022 •  [Post 14]

I bumped a bull elk and some others right away. I saw them only as tan flashes across my field of view. They had seen me first. Which one, I had no idea.
They were leaving and I could hear the group below and ahead of me headed down into the canyon bottom. The bull was mature, that was all I was sure of. The long side of a main beam had been enough to confirm that even if how many points was anyones guess. It didn't matter anyhow. I was certain my man stank had not reached them. Another 20 yards, then yes. But elk hunting can often be a game of inches when it comes to scent and sometimes an inch is as good as a mile.
They saw me, yes. My legs and boots more likely than a whole man. That was a good thing. I turned and hiked right back up to the ridge until I knew my scent stream was on its other side, and walking down its narrow edge, sometimes on top sometimes just a little off it I kept going until coming to a nice end drop where the ridge was rounding, fanning out onto a bench of meadow way way below. Here I could stay out of the elk, give them time to settle down and assume it was just another brief encounter, like a hiker or timber cruiser.
I spent the balance of the day right there, or most of it anyway, resting and making a plan for tomorrow. One thing I was absolutely not going to do was chase those elk down there in the creek bottom.

The stride of a mature bull elk
4767F3E7-7406-455E-A3E3-71FEAA38239E.jpeg
4767F3E7-7406-455E-A3E3-71FEAA38239E.jpeg (206 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
Jhg

Postby Jhg » 08 05, 2022 •  [Post 15]

The next morning dark thirty came all to soon but I was up and out the door, a big wad of sourdough PB&J and a gulp of cold milk my breakfast. My pack held the game bags, the jerky and my bugle was in its place out of the way but ready. A recurring nightmare I have is finding out I left my bow or my tab behind and I discover it just as a big bull steps out from behind a tree. I re-checked my kit to make sure it stayed a dream and had not became reality. Right behind the camper it begins to go up and I was there in the darkness climbing, then crossing a wide bench of dark timber, climbing again and then slowing down as it started to really get steep. It felt good to be working, the heart rate right below discomfort. I may be slow, but I was there, elk hunting with a bow and an arrow.

Shooting light came onto the forest understory late. I was on the final bench before climbing up the last pitch and topping out on the finger ridge. A bugle only 75 yds up ahead stopped me, nocking an arrow and almost right away I saw the bull my side of several cows. It was Charlie and he had no clue. His circle to bunch his girls brought him within what I guessed was 60 yards. Just too far and it was hard to know two things at that moment: 1, that he was openly broadside and 2, he would not by the look of it be coming closer.
Charlie was rutted up and it surprised me a little that this early he was so far along in his hormonal explosion. I watched him destroy a 12 foot spruce tree in the time it takes to write this sentence. He was amped up. The cows walked ahead upslope as the bull decimated the tree and in those few moments put 40 yards between them. Charlie snapped the spruce in half, took a poop and in no time caught up with the cows bugling a couple times as he went strutting and all full of himself in a kind of self-absorbed way that showed how captive he was to his condition.
When it was safe to do it I walked up to his destroyed tree and it was rank there, his urine and black, rock hard droppings fetid with elk skank.
The dude was foul and I wondered the wisdom of putting an arrow through such a disgusting compilation of piss, mud, foul secretions and whatever else rutting bull elk get up to. I mean, there were the cows, all clean and fat, smooth and glossy.

28D38A8D-8B9E-4ACA-ACD2-85DB3328C4B3.jpeg
28D38A8D-8B9E-4ACA-ACD2-85DB3328C4B3.jpeg (151.9 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
Jhg

Postby Indian Summer » 08 05, 2022 •  [Post 16]

I see what’s going on here. Rory is paying you to keep us in suspense so this website gets more clicks per day. It’s working. I click on this thread 10 times a day to see what you and Charlie are up to! Lol
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 08 05, 2022 •  [Post 17]

Keep it up JHB

Im up to mess with Joe. He is s bit more challenging then Swede!!
Lefty

Postby Jhg » 08 05, 2022 •  [Post 18]

Ya, he promised me a wapititalk chia elk. More water. More antlers. Or so he sez.
Jhg

Postby Jhg » 08 09, 2022 •  [Post 19]

Sorry no new. Been too busy to really write much. I will get back at this soon.
Jhg

Postby Jhg » 04 06, 2023 •  [Post 20]

The third day had the pre-dawn silence stitched together with the bugle of a bull elk starting to collect his cows. His call was welcome in the cold mountain air. It made the dark walk in a little easier, a bit warmer. If knowing the country you hunt has advantages, knowing it like your hand is an ace in the hole. I didn't know if that bugle was from Charlie, but all my chips were on the table it was. He would be pushing the cows out of the narrow meadow that was nearly the same elevation as my camp. I could either get above him and wait or loop under the group coming around and into their path as they meandered upslope toward bedding. I would let his bugles decide which I chose...

One of Charlie's trees
5D844E3A-8DF1-4148-9349-53FC1C88C9D9.jpeg
5D844E3A-8DF1-4148-9349-53FC1C88C9D9.jpeg (66.24 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 04 10, 2023 •  [Post 21]

I just returned from an SD trip chasing snow geese. My wife and I have a couple of day trips, then a New Mexico bus tour, I'll hit the woods and desert

I m not the type to name elk. And I'll admit now, I spent a few days hunting "Hooker" a bright Montana antlered 7x7 maybe a bit thinned horned with hit G1's and G2's hooked back and paralleled this main beams. I've talked to the outfitters on the Montana and Idaho side in his areas where "Hooker" roamed. Neither heard of him being taken.

If he made it through the seasons and winter, I expect I'll be hunting his haunts, if I draw a Montana rifle hunt.
Likely I'll change my summer plans to adapt to his schedule.
Lefty