Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bow Accuracy...How good is good enough?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bow Accuracy...How good is good enough?

Postby Tigger » 07 26, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I shot my bow last night and was just okay with the results. Every shot would have cleanly and quickly killed an elk. Or even a deer for that matter. But I wasn't overly proud. I will get better before the season arrives, but it got me to thinking (which hurt just a little), how good is good enough? Elk are big critters with a big kill zone....but we all know our accuracy in the field is much worse than at the range.

I know guys who shoot all year, every day and obsess over their shooting. I am sure there are others who shoot at live elk well beyond their talent level and who need lots more practice.

So how do you KNOW? What quantitative observations do you need before you are "ready"? Or is it all qualitative? Or does the calendar flip and you just leave?

For you rifle hunters, you can answer the same question as it pertains to rifles.
Tigger

Re: Bow Accuracy...How good is good enough?

Postby Swede » 07 26, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I would not shoot beyond the range at which I can place 7 out of 8 arrows in an 8-inch pie plate. I do better than that, but that is my low standard. In addition, I will not shoot beyond 40 yards regardless. Shooting from a fixed platform I can hit as well from my stand as from my lawn.
Good question Tigger. It is one we should have thought out well before we charge off into the forest with weapon in hand.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 26, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Oh my goodness! For once, Swede is right on the money. I agree completely. Old minds tent to think alike!!!!! :o
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 07 26, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:I would not shoot beyond the range at which I can place 7 out of 8 arrows in an 8-inch pie plate. I do better than that, but that is my low standard. In addition, I will not shoot beyond 40 yards regardless. Shooting from a fixed platform I can hit as well from my stand as from my lawn.

Swede has it perfect. Totally reasonable standards.
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Swede » 07 26, 2022 •  [Post 5]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Oh my goodness! For once, Swede is right on the money.

Admit it. You jerks are just lucky to have me. :D
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 26, 2022 •  [Post 6]

:lol:

Great conversation…and good to see you getting ready to get after them with a bow this year tigger!

2 years ago I shot fairly well practicing for the hunt…but for some reason I just didn’t feel confident…this lead to two great opportunities on a super solid public land bull…shot over him the first miss and under him on the second…the range finder might of helped cost me on the first shot but I know the confidence level was not there…I switched broadheads last year and definitely helped out the confidence meter but no shot opportunities….this year is yet to be determined but so far so good
Elkhunttoo

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 26, 2022 •  [Post 7]

A899239F-0AC6-4D72-9555-6E1990AA71E4.jpeg
A899239F-0AC6-4D72-9555-6E1990AA71E4.jpeg (97.04 KiB) Viewed 2900 times

Bull I missed :cry: :cry:
Elkhunttoo

Postby Jhg » 07 26, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Traditional or contraption? Talking about accuracy without at least defining which is kinda like talking about ghosts.
Big difference in the two. One uses sights, releases, bubbles, let off, etc. So when you get all that stuff lined up accuracy is rifle-like.

The other is instinctual, relies on familiarity bought by hours of practice.

Anyway, to each his/her own. Both are lethal.
I agree with Swede. Get them in a 6-8 inch plate at all distances 15-40 yds at various angles- above target, below target, quartering etc.

Try practicing in the rain. Its an eye opener.
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 07 26, 2022 •  [Post 9]

M y dad was a fanatical and drilled in our heads to only take good shots. None of these "hope and a prayer" What ever the shot, generally it should be 100% expectation in the kill zone.

I use to be a better than average shooter and knew my rifle and the three bullets I use to shoot. I know when Im solid,, that is up to me at that moment. I havent shot much big game off hand. My pack, a rock, log, bipod mono pod tree, something for a rest.

When I first started archery hunting I limited myself to 27 yards , A shoulder repair and I was good to 65 yards on windless days .
The past few years Ive tried to always set up tight,,.. thus eliminating archery shots over 40 yards; most times shot opportunities are closer than that.

The past few years my shooting ability has dropped for rifle, shotgun and archery. And I know that and I have adjusted. Ill turn my bow down to 65 lb next week. And limit my shooting distances.
With my rifle (deer) Ill do some shooting and see. Where I set my stand I have shooting 280 yards to the west, 430 yards to the south east. When solid, Im still good
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 26, 2022 •  [Post 10]

Bubble bow :lol: Shooting my bubble bow nightly now, 30 to 70 yards, seasons almost upon us. Not that I take long range initial shots, but I like to know I can hit a spot at longer range for an opportune second shot. I can relate to the “group em in an 8” paper plate” at 40 yards, it’s an old school concept, and I’m long enough in the tooth to agree with it for the most part. I do like to shoot (pun intended) for tighter groups than that nowadays, that’s just me. My pins are locked in so “they” can hit a softball size target out to 70 yards but unfortunately, my Darton shoots better than I do on most outings. At any rate, lotsa things can affect your release and arrow flight, I strive to ruin practice arrows out to 40 yards by stacking them in tight. A few “damn its” when throwing arrows can be a good thing in the long run.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Jhg » 07 28, 2022 •  [Post 11]

I hear ya Dennis!
My first season I had to limit my shots to 12yards. I was pretty bad and as a new archery hunter really could not count on making a good shot beyond that distance. My arrows were not matched to my bow, my form sucked, I was over bowed, plucked the string, floating anchor and in general had a lot of work to do to become confident and proficient.
Now I can make a kill shot with confidence 40yds if it "feels right". Talking trad recurve here.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 07 28, 2022 •  [Post 12]

I did not do as well I I would like today. I think I would have covered 7 of the eight arrows with an 8-inch pie plate, but it would have been nip & tuck. At least my first shot was good.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 07 29, 2022 •  [Post 13]

Shot last night and was pleasantly surprised at the progress I have made. Could still use some improvement, but 30 yards was less than 3" and 40 yards 5 out of 6 were less than 4" with the last one bein maybe 6". The confidence is growing and the muscles are strengthening. Switching arrow setups this weekend, so will have to adjust some pints. Kinda of unfortunate as my pins are dead on right now.

Going with a 2 blade single bevel. anybody shot an elk with one before?
Tigger

Postby Swede » 07 29, 2022 •  [Post 14]

I do not remember ever shooting a single bevel broadhead, but you remind me that it is time to start practicing with a broadhead again.
Swede

Postby Jhg » 07 29, 2022 •  [Post 15]

Tigger wrote:...Going with a 2 blade single bevel. anybody shot an elk with one before?

My blade of choice. My best elk was using single bevel. Pass thru at 35yds.

Deadly arrow. 560-ish grains. Good FOC.
FEA4D7B6-7FE1-4DF1-BB61-2470B7D4161E.jpeg
FEA4D7B6-7FE1-4DF1-BB61-2470B7D4161E.jpeg (242.67 KiB) Viewed 2839 times

165CAE42-522D-49C7-87BD-65916F3FD8AA.jpeg
165CAE42-522D-49C7-87BD-65916F3FD8AA.jpeg (196.61 KiB) Viewed 2839 times

A gusher...
AF8CB27D-68ED-43DB-82E5-16DFC627C327.jpeg
AF8CB27D-68ED-43DB-82E5-16DFC627C327.jpeg (226.78 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
Jhg

Postby Jhg » 07 29, 2022 •  [Post 16]

These arrive hunt sharp.

E28D6D83-A31D-41CE-AD45-B3DCB8378B7D.jpeg
E28D6D83-A31D-41CE-AD45-B3DCB8378B7D.jpeg (37.87 KiB) Viewed 2838 times

This is the one that went through a 700lb bull elk...
79593570-1BB9-410D-9A26-B62B42366F4F.jpeg
79593570-1BB9-410D-9A26-B62B42366F4F.jpeg (95.79 KiB) Viewed 2838 times
Jhg

Postby Swede » 07 30, 2022 •  [Post 17]

Which broadhead works best is argued every year. Hunters buy very expensive ones to try to improve their odds of killing an animal. I can't say one is any better than another. I have killed elk with cut to the tip broadheads, and those with a center-feral and detachable blades. I have had pass throughs with both, and non-pass throughs depending on where I hit the animal. The key is to have a super sharp broadhead that flies consistent with your field points and holds together. The world is full of these lethal broadheads.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 07 30, 2022 •  [Post 18]

I am not a fan of mechanicals. I don’t shoot at a live animal over 35 yards. I don’t like frontal shots. I don’t like threads that suggest a 60 or 70 yard shot is perfectly ethical. Yes…. i am old school. I just really really don’t like the thought of an unrecovered elk walking around with a hole in it or rotting away in some hole. I am NOT desperate enough to take any shot I can. I have the patience and confidence to let an elk walk away if I need to. That is all on this subject. Oh and yes… thank God for Swede!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 07 30, 2022 •  [Post 19]

I too have never shot a mechanical broadhead. I purchased three for a turkey hunt many years ago, when my guide recommended, I get some. I never saw a turkey where I could shoot at it, so the three pack is still in my hunting room somewhere, I think.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 07 30, 2022 •  [Post 20]

Like IS and Swede, I was pretty particular about my archery shots when I archery hunted. Part of the reason I gave up archery hunting some years back. I hunted almost a decade without killing an animal because I was never presented with a shot I was comfortable with. Mechanicals seem like a great option for a person hunting light skinned animals from a position with a likely broadside shot opportunity. For elk, I wouldn't do it.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Jhg » 07 31, 2022 •  [Post 21]

7mmfan wrote:... Part of the reason I gave up archery hunting some years back. I hunted almost a decade without killing an animal because I was never presented with a shot I was comfortable with...

Sure. Been there. I went through the same thing . How come others filled their tags and I did not? Better hunters? No. I was getting on some nice elk too. I finally said to myself, never again.

My problem was waiting for that " perfect" moment, shot, whatever.

Those perfect moments I realized, were brief. Fractions of a second sometimes. So I decided to be ready, to commit in those fractions of time. My success turned on a dime. No I did not lower my self imposed limits on accuracy. I just realized I was passing up perfectly good chances because in truth I thought more time equalled ethics.
Well, sure, more time helps. But most of the opportunities on archery elk are fleeting, yet still ethical when you are committed. Of course I shoot trad, so its quicker than pins and releases. But like throwing a baseball on target, you do not need all day to do it. But you do need to decide mentally beforehand you will shoot at that very moment the shot is there no sooner no later.

If you are not committed beforehand you will miss or worse and that shot is only there that one second so you have to be all in mentally to make it.

Take it!!! Take it!!! For that shot is gone by the time you read the first two words of this sentence. It was there. You just didn't take it.

I hope you get back to archery.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 07 31, 2022 •  [Post 22]

Great point JHG. From my tree stand I get shot opportunities I have a lot of time for and those that will be gone in an instant. I would have had far fewer elk on the table if I only took those, I had a lot of time for. The key to making any shot is confidence. I do not like risky shots, but I am prepared and when the time comes to take the shot. I know if it is within my range and what needs to be done. Once in a while, I need to let down my bow, because something changed, and I need to wait.
Swede

Postby Old school » 08 03, 2022 •  [Post 23]

Back when I was a tad younger I practiced out to 100 yards and made my self imposed hunting limit 50 yards. I could easily shave vanes off regularly at 50 yards. 50 yards is still my limit but prefer them at 30 or under. I want all 6 arrows in the kill zone when I practice. If I have 1 “flier” I need to get closer.
Old school

Postby Swede » 08 03, 2022 •  [Post 24]

Old school wrote:I want all 6 arrows in the kill zone when I practice. If I have 1 “flier” I need to get closer.

I know a few hunters that can equal Mitch. Like Mitch they are excellent shots. I want all of my shots to meet that standard too. I can generally do that or better at 40 yards. Shaving fletching off your previous arrow is not something I have seen in field conditions.
Years ago, I went to several 3D shoots. I usually came in 1st or 2nd. What I observed is that most hunters cannot meet that standard at 25 yards. Add to that cross winds, poor footing, a little pressure and you get a lot of lost/broken arrows.
Know your true ability and do not try to compete with Mitch. A clean kill is the objective; not arrows that need re-fletched.
Swede

Postby Old school » 08 04, 2022 •  [Post 25]

Before you have my Bowtech bronzed and placed into the Wapitialk Hall Of Fame Swede - that above average shootIng was a few years back.

For all those reason Swede listed - is why I want no fliers out of the kill zone when I practice. If I have 1 out of 5 fliers when I practice, what can I expect when I’m out of breath in the mountains, standing on uneven ground with a 15 mph cross wind, a bull at 40 yards and I’ve only got a few seconds to shoot? Shaving fletchings isn’t a must, but as I stated before, I want all my arrows in the kill zone when I practice to give me confidence when the shot presents itself during the hunt.
Old school

Postby Swede » 08 04, 2022 •  [Post 26]

When I go out to practice at 40 yards, I walk out and check the first arrow to see just how close it came to the exact spot intended. All the others I see in a batch. Yesterday that first arrow was off about 1 1/2 inch. I have not shot today. Maybe I could go to 50 or 60 yards and be OK, but I limit myself to 40 max. That is where my confidence ends. If someone can reliably shoot farther, I have no problem with it. There are better shooters out there. Most of us would do well to shorten our shooting distance to a proven limit.
Swede