Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Season 2022 “Tech Tip”

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Season 2022 “Tech Tip”

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 12, 2022 •  [Post 1]

That most wonderful time of the year is approaching quickly, it’ll be here sooner than we realize. Share a tip that we should add to our checklist as we travel down the path to elk season. Needed gear, gear prep and check, tactics contemplation and walk through/practice, on-going range time and confirmation of your weapon accuracy, you get the picture.

I’ll start with a simple one, get your hunting boots cleaned and oiled!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Season 2022 “Tech Tip”

Postby Swede » 07 12, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I have a fellow that comes to hunt with me about every other season. He always has something that does not work. I guess it worked when he put it away two years ago, but he has not checked it since. Or maybe it did not work, and he forgot about the problem. What is worse, he could not replace a broken shoelace. I will let you add the tech tip to this.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 07 13, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Backup gear. What do you have that will likely need a backup? Or maybe not likely, but if something did fail would have severe consequences.

I just got 3 sets of keys made for all my motorized things.
Tigger

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 13, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Get, and sit in a Tree Stand!!!

That should stir some souls :lol:
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 07 13, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Bow hunters sitting in a good tree stand are effectively hunting all day and every day. And guess what? You can hunt effectively when you want a break from chasing the critters.
Swede

Postby Swede » 07 13, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Your best effort and technique will only work when elk are around.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 07 13, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Im a fanatic about a few things. My gear may be older, but I take care of what I have . And I do still follow the Boy Scout motto
"Be Prepared "
Ive done the following for the past 45 years
All my glass lenses get cleaned properly before season and All at one time, spotting scope, rifle scope Binos, range finder,,, even the windows/glass in the pickup get a coating of rainx.

Then I am a total scent freak,,, Everything gets washed and cleaned before camp The ozone generator gets some of the funk out of the pick up and camper. The truck and ATV will head to camp freshly power washed
All the bedding will have had a good washing with scent removing and UV killers.

Some of my clothes are only used for hunting after being aired for a few days. Since 1990 I will pack in totes with sage and/or Zolite.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H