Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Eight Weeks From Today

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Eight Weeks From Today

Postby Swede » 07 02, 2022 •  [Post 1]

In just eight weeks, I expect to be sitting in a tree stand somewhere in the new Eagle Cap GMU. Will it be a different spot where I wait to ambush an elk, or one of my old haunts? I expect to be ready but will not go for a separate scouting trip this year. Not scouting ahead has been a problem in the past, but I am hoping that familiarity with some stand locations in the unit will be sufficient this time. I have a lot of shooting to do and things to prepare. Time is flying by, so I need to focus fully on the important points to be prepared. I plan to shoot again some this morning. I hope to get back to where I can very smoothly draw and hold my bow at full draw. It is a bit of a chore to do it now.
Ready or not the season is fast approaching now.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Eight Weeks From Today

Postby wawhitey » 07 02, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I need to get shooting my bow too. Thinking ill likely be in a treestand for deer september 1st. Need to get shooting, shake the rust off, and i have 2 stands i need to go take down, and set them up in a new area i found last year. Got one particular stand location in mind at a stream crossing. Could very well get a big early season whitetail or muley there. Itll be time to get back into work mode though right when elk opens, so thats out of the question this year. But as soon as im done bear hunting, ill probably be hanging stands. Wish i had spent more time scouting the area and laying plans though. Feel like ill be going in kind of half assed. Hastily set stands just a couple weeks before the opener, doesnt give me a lot of confidence.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 03, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Crazy how fast it’s approaching. Shooting my bow will now become one of my top priorities over the next weeks ahead. I think the second week of august I will be hanging my tree stands. Should be ready to smoke one from above this season :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 07 03, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Swede… take a walk mid day. Stretch your legs. Get some blood flowing. Go enjoy a change of scenery. You’ll never get contest winning photos by looking down on the same 40 square yards of dirt. I might end up a stationary hunter some day but the spot I pick to sit will have an award winning view for sure. Good luck this season. It’s been quite awhile since I’ve bow hunted elk. I have a unit where I can gun hunt in September. Now that’s fun!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Jhg » 07 03, 2022 •  [Post 5]

My goal now is recovery from a pretty bad knee injury about 4 weeks ago. But I plan to hunt. If I need to modify my approach to account for mobility limitations I will. There are more ways than one to successfully fill an elk tag. Thats the attitude I am adopting. I still feel fortunate to be able to hunt elk and enjoy the woods.
If age has benefits it is accepting what you cannot change and making the best of it. So even with my knee being weak I am excited and looking forward to opening morning.

D2FDB3A3-851E-4F6C-83E0-0783B38AD288.jpeg
D2FDB3A3-851E-4F6C-83E0-0783B38AD288.jpeg (92.08 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
Jhg

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 07 03, 2022 •  [Post 6]

looking forward to opening morning.

Way to go Jhg! Just stay in the fight. You definitely can't shoot one from your couch.
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Indian Summer » 07 03, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Jhg there is definitely more than one way to punch an elk tag. I think you’ll do ok if your area has the potential for some elk in overseen spots closer to the road. My area is great for that. We kill lots of bulls within 3/4 mile and less as the crow flies. Just have a plan for getting one out. Don’t push your knee. Good luck.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 07 04, 2022 •  [Post 8]

I fill my elk tag nearly every season within 1/2 mile of the truck. To protect your knee, take more light loads when packing out your critter. You may find a good tree stand or ground blind works very well.
Swede

Postby Pop-r » 07 28, 2022 •  [Post 9]

Getting serious now! Down to 4 weeks!
Pop-r

Postby Swede » 07 28, 2022 •  [Post 10]

I plan to leave August 19th or 20th. I do not have much time to wait.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 28, 2022 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:I plan to leave August 19th or 20th. I do not have much time to wait.

Getting close…looks like I’m packing at least one stand in this weekend and if time possibly 2 :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 07 29, 2022 •  [Post 12]

Elkhunttoo wrote:Getting close…looks like I’m packing at least one stand in this weekend and if time possibly 2

Set them up fairly high. Go up 20-25 feed and get up to the canopy if you can. Find a hidey hole close by your stand where you can call from, and the elk needs to come close to see what is there.
Before you hunt from your stand go to your hole and make one short bugle then hurry up and get into your stand. Elk don't come around often, and it takes them a couple of hours to show up when they do, but that call will bring in one or two in every so often, and I have killed five or six using that trick. Some come straight down the creek I am waiting near and stop behind the windfall I called next to. Others come and try to see what was there. Most don't make it all of the way in.
Swede

Postby Pop-r » 08 06, 2022 •  [Post 13]

I've been screwing up all along if they don't come for a couple hours. I usually wait 15-45 minutes depending on the situation. I've been LONG gone by the time most of the elk I've called in came in if this is the case. In my experience elk can come from a good half mile plus in just a jiffy. Most of the time they show up within 25 or so minutes for me on just a "cold calling" scenario.
Pop-r

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2022 •  [Post 14]

Pop-r wrote:I've been screwing up all along if they don't come for a couple hours. I

I can't say that you are messing up considering the way you call. What I can say with certainty is that the way I call does not bring them in quickly. It normally takes two hours for them to come around. I may splash a wallow, and/or rake a tree, but I always make just one short location bugle before climbing into my stand. I have learned that it takes two hours for the elk to show up, because I sit in my stand for sometimes over 13 hours. I have observed the elk and know they were looking for the caller. They do not come to wallow or to get a drink. Some stay back and turn around. That is how I know that my calling location is very important. If the elk can see the spot you called from 100 yards away, that is where they usually stop.
I think the implications here could be very significant. I have not tried this kind of calling while hunting on the ground. If I were calling and hunting from the ground, I think it would be worth a try near a bedding area in the middle of the day when you have lunch and plan to rest. Even if you are not prepared and are not ready to shoot, you can observe. Note: It works only about 1 day in 10 for me. If no elk hears your call, they won't respond.
Swede

Postby Jhg » 08 07, 2022 •  [Post 15]

I am an elk. A nice 5x 4 year old.

I hear an elk about 500 yards away. I am a kinda lazy elk. The graze is good where I am and I just got here. About an hour later I get bored and feel like moving some place else and without thinking much about it I head in the direction I heard that other elk. It takes me awhile to get there, because I get distracted easily.
When I have been wandering in that direction awhile I realize this is about where that elk was calling from. All I see is some dude in camo getting up with a disgusted slant to his manner and heading off down the canyon.

Good thing I didn't walk out from behind this bush, he woulda seen me sure.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2022 •  [Post 16]

What I see are elk coming to see what bugled. They are in no hurry, but they are deliberate. Why do they wait so long? I don't know, but I have observed that many, especially bulls are very cautious.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 07, 2022 •  [Post 17]

Ok, now it’s getting real. Only a bit over 4 weeks until operation Cowboy state begins. I’m anxious to introduce myself and partner, and our bows and boom sticks, to the indigenous Wapiti population. That’s right, we’re hunting a bow area and then a rifle area. Let the final glide path begin ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 08, 2022 •  [Post 18]

To me, it sounds like they are just curious and head to where they heard some elk and want to see who is there…so I can see where location is key
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 08 08, 2022 •  [Post 19]

Elkhunttoo: That is exactly what I think. I have no idea how many hear the call but don't come, but I know that some do show up, and they are not quick about it.
As a tree stand hunter, I see no downside to that type of call. I do not think I am running off any elk, but occasionally one or more come to me. I have seen enough evidence that it works that I am going to incorporate it into every, or nearly every tree stand hunt.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 08, 2022 •  [Post 20]

Do you do this in the morning or afternoon?

We have 3 stands up this year and im not sure I want to make any sounds at any of the 3 in the morning…especially the one in the bedding area…but I can think of a few areas we want stands that morning calling/bugle/2-3 cow calls would be good
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 08 08, 2022 •  [Post 21]

I often get out on my stand about noon and go to camp for lunch. At some locations I stay all day because there is a risk to disturbing elk in the area or I want to just maximize my time in the stand. Either way I usually bugle once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I don't know if a cow call will work as well as a bugle. I just do not have enough experience trying them. I would think they would if the elk can hear you. I chose the bugle to reach out farther. I usually have my stands near bedding areas. I have killed more elk in the morning after calling, but the difference in the number of AM elk and PM elk is likely just coincidence.
Is it luck or what, but I have never taken a herd bull using this technique. I have two 5X5s and the others are smaller bulls or cows.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 08, 2022 •  [Post 22]

I’m thinking the calling might effect the herd bulls…possibly not but I think for the most part this year I will sit in silence when I’m in the stands
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 08 08, 2022 •  [Post 23]

I always sit silent in my stand. I only make one call from a hidey hole nearby just before I climb up my tree.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 08, 2022 •  [Post 24]

Oops…yes, silence from the ground when I’m sitting my stand ;)
Elkhunttoo

Postby Jhg » 08 09, 2022 •  [Post 25]

I see no downside to calling in the way described. It certainly increases your chances. You are not introducing a sequence that is foreign to the area as will many poorly educated run-n-gunners who arrive in a drainage, lay down bugles and whatever, as appropriate sounding as Van Halen in a funeral home.
Calling without understanding how it will fit (or not) into the mood of the place does the opposite of helping your chances, driving all but the random suicide bull outa the country. I have experienced this happening several times while hunting a drainage as other hunters show up, let er rip and it is VERY jarring and out of place.
So in my opinion, short calling before sitting a stand is an excellent way to let elk in earshot think another is around. You are basically behaving in a way that is very natural, because: class, what have we learned about calling elk? Shout it out!

Most hunters CALL TOO MUCH.

And doing a slow play sequence, for example, is a very different type of calling than this obnoxious loudner bugle train wreck just described. Rather than it being a weird, obtrusive and unfitting event that alarms elk, it is a smartly designed and presented social interaction that lures an elk your way. Big difference.
So however you choose to call, keep it in mind that it needs to sound natural, normal, acceptable. In other words, safe for the elk to investigate.

BTW, I am not an expert caller. But I am very good at knowing when how I call and how my calling skills will be at their strengths. So I avoid calling when I am will suck at doing it in a way that will be effective.
Jhg