Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Quiet Days

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Quiet Days

Postby Swede » 06 17, 2022 •  [Post 1]

Most of you bow-hunters call in your quest for an elk. So, what are some tips you can share on techniques or trick you use on days the elk just won't call back to you?

My trick is to stay quiet until I believe I am in a location where elk are close enough to hear me. Then I find a spot where any elk approaching will have to get very close to see the caller and there, I thrash a tree or something that sounds like one. I often immediately follow that up by stomping around a little. Then I give out one two second bugle before moving to some nearby cover to wait. I wait there for over two hours knowing it may take a while for an elk to come in searching for me.
I have killed about 6 elk using this technique, but instead of finding a hiding hole, I climb up into my tree stand.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Hunting Quiet Days

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 18, 2022 •  [Post 2]

My theory has always been , DO WHAT THE ELK ARE DOING! If they are quiet, I probably shouldn't be making all that much racket either. But during the early part of the season the silent calling routine often works.

Another trick is to give a grunt immediately followed by a short contact bugle. Wait about 10 minutes and if no response, try it again. If still nothing, it is clear that the bulls in this area don't want to come out and play. Time to move on to another area!!!! But before you leave, be sure to take a good look around for any elk that may have come in on the sly.

As for the silent calling technique, I think I did a writeup on it in the Archived Tips section here several years ago. There is also a DVD out there called Early Season Elk Calling. It's well worth the price if you are lucky to find one.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Hunting Quiet Days

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 22, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Not much can beat a Cow Party on those quiet non-rutting days! Between that & the Advertising Sequence a hunter cannot go wrong! When it comes to calling & not a Spot,Stalk,Ambush in more open country those two would be hard pressed to top!

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul