Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Pressured Area for Elk?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Pressured Area for Elk?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 16, 2022 •  [Post 1]

Saddlesore’s post in the bedding area thread got me thinking (dangerous, I know). What do you cats consider a pressured area? Is it all OTC areas, units where you see a few hunters throughout a weeks time, a place that you hear traffic on roads a mile above you, two rigs at the trailhead you wanted to park at, multiple rifle shots daily, or a spot you hear another hunters bugle? Just curious.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Pressured Area for Elk?

Postby Lefty » 06 16, 2022 •  [Post 2]

When Elk are constantly on alert, always on the move from being bumped and hunters methods who adversely impact the elk

I use to hunt the desert maybe during the peak rut a dozen bulls and 60 cows in 150 sections . *8 hunters from Californios, 3 locals and a couple real hardcore trophy bull hunters and me. We all fit in just fine, stayed out of each others way. All seemed well. But the local guy sorta taiught some other locals how to hunt the desert , two of the locals died, the Californians quit showing up, and the trophy hunters moved else where

The new family, nice people,, didnt quite learn how to not impact the elk. The methods of that family turned the place into pressured elk,, Lots of driving around. lots of bugling from skyline, did I say lots of driving around. And the wife wore perfume hunting.

Ive tried top put in the effort to go where the lazy hunters dont
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 06 17, 2022 •  [Post 3]

I envision pressured areas as any area where the hunters change the natural patterns of the elk and you have to start hunting more based on other hunters than you do the animals. It's not always a bad thing if you have escape routes and sanctuary areas dialed in, but it's not hunting elk on the elk's terms, its hunting them based on the hunter activity.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 06 17, 2022 •  [Post 4]

7mmfan wrote:I envision pressured areas as any area where the hunters change the natural patterns of the elk and you have to start hunting more based on other hunters than you do the animals. It's not always a bad thing if you have escape routes and sanctuary areas dialed in, but it's not hunting elk on the elk's terms, its hunting them based on the hunter activity.

That is exactly Colorado.Trailheads have 10-15 vehicles in them. Everyone and his brother with a Hoochie Mama calling all day.I can't pack in anymore, but when I did just 2-3 years ago there were several camps in each drainage and 1-2 outfitters working the area. Elk that come past your are not walking, they are moving out. Hard pressed to get them to stop with a cow mew. I am always at my hunt location 1/2 hour before 1st light. I see elk moving thru,but they are just shapes, and too early to shoot. This is where I ML hunt. I set up at choke points or known trail routes.

Bull tags take 6-10 points depending on res. or non, and there are only 100 cow ML tags given out. Archery tags take 2 points. I have to camp at the tail head and there are usually 4-5 camps there, and about 5-6 vehicles that the hunters pack in.Plus an outfitter with 10 camps. Most of those are up high where I can't hunt though. I ride back in about 3-4 miles.

I am told in 1st and 2nd rifle season there might be 30 vehicles there.To get away from something like that,you need 7-10ponts for a draw area.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics