Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Fences?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Fences?

Postby Lefty » 06 16, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I shot my cow elk this year trying to figure a way to cross 5 strands of barbed wire.

I watched dozens and dozens of of times calves get separated from the herd while trying to cross fences. I even watched elk walk to my ATV, parked near the gate of Forest service even knocking my ATV mirror wanky trying to jump the fence at the gate.
And I watched hundreds of elk this year struggle and struggle to cross sheep fences on 4 different pastures , tearing them selves up trying to cross. I watched as a bull pushed his harem of 50 head, then get stuck,, tearing himself up, catching his antlers and legs, It was a brutle sight to witness. this year easily saw a dozen elk flip over fences.

I cant even tell you how much clothes Ive wrecked crossing fences , I just find it nice the Feds are going to more big pastures, and cattle assns. and less cross fencing

This your tube just makes me sick,,, and I nearly feared evetime I saw elk struggle at a fence

Years ago I had a student who he and his dad ere running 10,000 cows( Ive heard that is nearly double now. ) Guys that run barbed wire dont love their cows. They had calculated the savings from injuries ( weight loss ) alone was enough to easily cover the fence costs.
Ive pulled 2 antelope and a deer out of fences.
This year I watched as a young Montana antelope buck freed its self from a fence,,, but my guess its injuries soon killed it.

https://www.rmef.org/elk-network/bull-elk-stumbles-on-fence-dies/
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Fences?

Postby saddlesore » 06 16, 2022 •  [Post 2]

A lot of ranchers that have grazing leases are required to put up fences that they lay down in the winter so elk can move thru.
saddlesore

Postby 7mmfan » 06 16, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Anytime you lease a section of land that is going to have animals grazing on it, it need to be defined somehow. Unfortunately wire fences are about the only way to do that cost effectively. Fences to absolutely raise hell with wildlife though, and I would love to see them gone.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 06 16, 2022 •  [Post 4]

saddlesore wrote:A lot of ranchers that have grazing leases are required to put up fences that they lay down in the winter so elk can move thru.

We have a serious problem with one association, F and W ,, Idaho Fish and Game and the New Forest Service range manager came and interviewed a neighboring lease, us and a private small rancher, regarding the association. Range manager Said they had one more chance or that association would loose their lease. All the fences were down that were to be down,,, and I think its the first year I've seen all those cows gone when they were suppose to.
I think the big stink,, with some snow in December 60 head were still on the lease came down and had been on some BLM, , traveled through a number of private ranchers ( I think with some help :lol: ) traveled 10 miles and actually got into a ranch in Montana,,,
Sorta funny: Nasty weather 4 stock trailers went flying past me. And what appeared as one really mad rancher. Opened a gate for the tresspassers trailers
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H