Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Is Elk Hunting Fun?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Is Elk Hunting Fun?

Postby Swede » 06 13, 2022 •  [Post 1]

Tigger is back and trying to give me a hard time on the Tree Stand forum. His nonsensical answer got me to thinking. Is elk hunting fun?

For sure it is in some ways, but for me it is addictive and a challenge. It is also a great way to fill the freezer. I had not thought about the fun for a long time. I just look forward to it every season.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Is Elk Hunting Fun?

Postby Indian Summer » 06 14, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Honest answer: I hate getting up so early in the morning and getting right to work. I hate rain. Other than that heck yeah it’s fun! If I could sleep until 7 every day and it never rained but there was 1/4 inch of fresh snow on the ground it’d be a blast!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 06 14, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Sometimes it is easy for me to forget how much fun it is to hike through some meanest brush God placed here on earth, or up a steep slope that seems to go on forever, or to pack out of some deep hole, as I wonder why I ever went there. I can forget how much fun I am having sitting in a tree stand for 12-13 hours straight. I started out hot, then got cold, then hot again and ended up cold. I come back to a cold dark camp and fix a meal, and my pack items for another hunt. Then I turn in to rest up for another long day. By the end of the tenth day, I am wanting to take it a little easier as I am wearing out, but I still have 20 days to go, and no elk is down.
I think it probably helps to be insane to elk hunt, but within two weeks of returning home, I am looking forward to the next season. You may not need to be crazy to elk hunt, but it sure does not hurt.

For you jerks that elk hunt I have some advice. You can buy a whole beef and stay home with your beautiful family to have a great time for less money. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 06 14, 2022 •  [Post 4]

It's too much work and discomfort to do if it wasn't one heck of a lot of fun. Honestly, the act of killing the elk isn't the fun part, because that's when the real work starts. It's all the cool stuff you see when elk hunting, and places you go that you'd never have any other reason to visit if it weren't for hunting the animals that live there. Yes, I love elk hunting and think that it is a lot of fun.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 15, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Fun….is not a strong enough word.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 15, 2022 •  [Post 6]

74DFBD7F-6928-44B5-AF30-6A71F1E453E5.jpeg
74DFBD7F-6928-44B5-AF30-6A71F1E453E5.jpeg (45.69 KiB) Viewed 2073 times

Not me, but I took the picture of one of my brother in laws that I hunt with…we didn’t have fun at all last year, we had an absolute blast :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby Magic » 06 15, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I/we have found that it is not necessary to actually hunt to have fun elk hunting. Several years ago my Son and I decided to quit buying two licenses and hunting separately. We now hunt together and share each other's joy. We have killed three elk hunting together which far out weighs the times when we were hunting separately and one of us killed an elk.

This year his two Son's will go and will alternate each day with one accompanying him and the other staying with me and glassing. We are looking forward to having three generations together in elk camp. Now that qualifies as fun folks and I am anxiously looking forward to it.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Lefty » 06 15, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Im not sure it is fun,, Im not even sure I know what fun is.
But elk hunting to me is a blast too,---- and enjoyable , amusing, pleasurable, satisfying, gratifying, delightful, lovely, satisfying, it can also be painful, hardwork sometimes hot, sometimes cold

Lovely?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 06 22, 2022 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:Tigger is back and trying to give me a hard time on the Tree Stand forum. His nonsensical answer got me to thinking. Is elk hunting fun?

For sure it is in some ways, but for me it is addictive and a challenge. It is also a great way to fill the freezer. I had not thought about the fun for a long time. I just look forward to it every season.

I was trying talk to you in language you would understand. Guess it worked.... :D
Tigger

Postby Jhg » 07 17, 2022 •  [Post 10]

I stopped being capable of having fun when my step daughter turned 15.

But I do enjoy things. Like elk hunting.

Quarter moon over my OTC gmu.
A
B8CEB470-A46C-4720-8E4F-492FAEA177EA.jpeg
B8CEB470-A46C-4720-8E4F-492FAEA177EA.jpeg (69.55 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
Jhg

Postby saddlesore » 07 17, 2022 •  [Post 11]

I remember sitting up in a saddle at 11,000 feet,on a mountain top with it snowing and wind blowing about 45mph and right at 20 degrees. I turned to my hunting partner and asked if he was having fun yet because my fun meter was pegged.

I remember the fun times a lot more that the bad times
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 07 18, 2022 •  [Post 12]

I am not sure fun is the right word. It might be. maybe not. It is deeply satisfying on a level that many will not understand. It is the culmination of a lot of work. It is anticipation building over months. It is being in places at times you would never be if not for elk hunting. It is the sights, the sounds, the smells of the mountains. It is extreme excitement followed by big disappointment. Repeated. Then, finally, it is extreme excitement followed by deep emotions. One of those times that you wish could last forever. You revel in the moment. Then the realization of the work ahead outweighs the celebration and work begins. After the work, again, deep satisfaction. For me there is an inner proudness that I want to share the event with those I care about most.
Tigger

Postby Deanmac » 07 18, 2022 •  [Post 13]

Magic wrote:I/we have found that it is not necessary to actually hunt to have fun elk hunting. Several years ago my Son and I decided to quit buying two licenses and hunting separately. We now hunt together and share each other's joy. We have killed three elk hunting together which far out weighs the times when we were hunting separately and one of us killed an elk.

This year his two Son's will go and will alternate each day with one accompanying him and the other staying with me and glassing. We are looking forward to having three generations together in elk camp. Now that qualifies as fun folks and I am anxiously looking forward to it.

Good Idea!
Deanmac

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 18, 2022 •  [Post 14]

FUN!!!! Well I suppose to a certain extent. But as soon as my feet hit the ground, the fun meter turns off and the predator instinct kicks in.
>>>---WW---->

Postby lilshootergirl » 07 20, 2022 •  [Post 15]

Hunting is my passion! Fun adventures for sure! November 1st has me on the edge of my seat! Wish it would get here soon. I bought me the best boots, kenetrax I put so many miles, & seasons on, will see ?how they stand up! Wore them for 1 mile & there so comfortable.
I watched there video & learned so much. 3 more months and they'll be broke in!
I love hunting so much, nothing comes close to it.
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Indian Summer » 07 21, 2022 •  [Post 16]

Fun? It’s interesting how before the season when you are planning and buying new gear and talking to people on WapitiTalk it seems like it’ll be nothing but fun. But on day 3 when you’re tired and achy and wondering if you’re even within a mile of an elk it seems more like work. And then…. When you get home and look back on your hunt it seems like it was nothing but fun.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro