Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

MAN CAVES and SHE DENS

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

MAN CAVES and SHE DENS

Postby foxvalley » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

MAN CAVE (he man woman haters club)and SHE DEN (she woman man haters club)

The first room I look for when invited over to a new friends house is their man cave or she den,to check out the mounts, and hunting decor,etc.
Just looking for some input if there is anybody else interested in seeing forum members caves or dens,and if this is a good idea or not before we post any pics. Paul???
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Re: MAN CAVES and SHE DENS

Postby Swede » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

My "man cave" is the room in the basement she permits me to keep all of my hunting stuff in. I believe it could be likened to a dog house better than man cave, but I enjoy it. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby dotman » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

My man cave is in the backyard, currently planning an expansion of the dog house :)
dotman

Postby Indian Summer » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Size and location of said man cave can be a good indicator of who wears what % of the pants. A little room in the basement isn't saying much for one's ability to express themselves and their passions. Mine is our entire living room and it's a true collection of treasures. A few years back I raised the ceiling to 12 feet on the one end for larger shoulder mounts like elk & caribou. Lucky 4 me she likes that kind of thing. She once threatened to send me on a goat hunt because she wanted a full body mount. ;-)

I had a buddy who's wife banned all taxidermy until she saw a euro mount mulie. For some reason she loved it so now his room, in the basement, is filling up with whitetail skulls.

I have a few friends who's wives have plush white carpets and keep the dining room setup for dinner with the queen of England and the deer racks are hidden in the garage. I always wonder what they think when they come over to our zoo. L0L

The kids L0VE IT!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Bartfrncs » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I only have one mount my wife hates its a sholder mount of a large hog. She let me hang it in the bed room over my side of the bed. My 54inch kudu mount is taller than my wife.
I shot a bear in Canada last year that's to big to hang on any of our walls but my wife likes it. I think if your a true hunter you will have horns or heads around and hey they just look cool.
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby pointysticks » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 6]

my man cave has an old Porsche 911 parked in the middle of it.

i affectionately call my lair, "Man-Land". :D
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby cnelk » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I call my lair the 'Rut Hut' :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 8]

After all my daughters moved out, I was able to totally take over 1 of the bedrooms and turn it into my hunting, sports room. I customize the closet to hold all my hunting cloths, boots, archery gear, and gear boxes. The room was arranged to hold bows, arrows , pictures, tv, computer and desk. I never even thought about it being a man cave til a old friend stopped by and we went in the room to get one of my bows, and he freaked out. He said I wish my wife would let me make one of our rooms into a man cave like this. This is so cool, I am jealous. Never crossed my mind til then. My toy hauler travel trailer, I guess would be my mini man cave since it is mostly set up for my annual elk trip to Colorado. Elk paintings and pictures all over the walls and most of the drawers are full of camo cloths. OK, I'm spoiled!
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby foxvalley » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 9]

My wife loves to hunt,is a good cook, and likes taxidermy...... otherwise she never would have got the ring. The one wing of the house is a true man cave/she den.Tons of mounts,wildlife prints,shed antlers,and a place on each side of the tv for 2 huge half lifesize elk mounts.....(soon I hope.) I did have to fight her tooth and nail though,she wanted a 6' sliding glass door leading to the deck outside,cutting the largest log in the house I have.It took 2 days to get that thing out of the woods,and another 2 days to peel it,no way am I cutting it! I won by telling her after a year,if she still wanted the door I would cut it in for her. She is now glad we didn't,whew!
foxvalley

Postby Indian Summer » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Crazyelkhunter that's it!! You've inspired me. I have a bedroom that was previously an office for my outfitting business which I sold. My hunting stuff is everywhere on 2 floors. I've been thinking about making into a walk in closet for my clothes, gear etc. There's is already a bull hanging in there and a 5 by 5 whitetail so they can stay. It sounds like a dream to have all of my stuff organized again.

Forgot to mention... the wife loves to point out that one of the most impressive things in the living room is her 55 inch muskie which she'll add has me beat by a half inch. She doesn't hunt. I have to admit it is pretty awesome. .... but it ain't bone!
Indian Summer

Postby LckyTylr » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 11]

No Man Cave for me. I don't have the space yet. My Wife and I bought our house 5 years ago while the market was still going down. It's a good house, but it's not our last house. We have plans for building the house in my head two years from now. THAT house will have THE Man Cave . . . :lol:

I'm going to have a walk in cooler with rail and hook (like a butcher shop), a full bar, all of the mounts and miscellaneous stuff that's required in a Man Cave (TV, Fridge, Old Bows on the wall) . . . AND, most importantly, I'm going to build myself an 8" Concrete walk-in gun vault, walls, floor and lid will all be concrete. My plan for the door will also be concrete with an old truck driveshaft for the pivot point.

Where's PAUL!?!?!?!? We need some pics of these Man Caves that have already come to fruition!
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Indian Summer » 01 05, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Lucky... they make vault doors to install on the type you want to build. Made by gunsafe manufacturers. A friend has the exact same thing. Very very nice. he reloads in there too.
Indian Summer

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 05, 2013 •  [Post 13]

My house & Shop is a ManCave. Ask the wife. (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby foxvalley » 01 05, 2013 •  [Post 14]

ElkNut1 wrote:My house & Shop is a ManCave. Ask the wife. (grin)

ElkNut1

PAUL!!!!!!!!!!! CAN WE POST SOME PICS????
foxvalley

Postby foxvalley » 01 05, 2013 •  [Post 15]

CrazyElkHunter wrote:After all my daughters moved out, I was able to totally take over 1 of the bedrooms and turn it into my hunting, sports room. I customize the closet to hold all my hunting cloths, boots, archery gear, and gear boxes. The room was arranged to hold bows, arrows , pictures, tv, computer and desk. I never even thought about it being a man cave til a old friend stopped by and we went in the room to get one of my bows, and he freaked out. He said I wish my wife would let me make one of our rooms into a man cave like this. This is so cool, I am jealous. Never crossed my mind til then. My toy hauler travel trailer, I guess would be my mini man cave since it is mostly set up for my annual elk trip to Colorado. Elk paintings and pictures all over the walls and most of the drawers are full of camo cloths. OK, I'm spoiled!

A spare bedroom is the ultimate spot for hunting gear!!!
Our spare bedroom is jam- packed with all our hunting gear. There is a large closet for all the hunting cloths, and the back of it is all shelving for boots gear mis. etc. My old dresser has all my gear,each drawer for a different specie,one drawer for deer stuff, two drawers for elk stuff etc. The mattresses are leaning against the wall with no frame(takes to much room).Trying to get the mattresses out......
foxvalley

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 05, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I don't have any photos, but it's nothing much, just a few antlers & a couple of mounts, but it is all mancave!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bnsafe » 01 05, 2013 •  [Post 17]

i had a nice man cave, was down in the basement but nice. we moved to colorado and bought a much bigger nicer house and somehow my mancave got stuck in a small spare bedroom with one window underground. i do not wear the pants in my house. a price i pay for her making more money and me playing to much, lol.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby LckyTylr » 01 05, 2013 •  [Post 18]

This thread is all well-and-good . . . but WORTHLESS without Pics. :-)
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby foxvalley » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I agree 100%. I'm guessing from Pauls last comment,it's ok. So, LETS SEE EM!!! I don't care if it's the basement,spare room,garage,palace,or a folding chair and a card table,lets see where you hang out!!! Heres mine.

[/attachment]
compressed man cave.jpg
compressed man cave.jpg (33.86 KiB) Viewed 16831 times
Attachments
compressed man cave2.jpg
compressed man cave2.jpg (33.21 KiB) Viewed 16831 times
foxvalley

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Ha Ha, you can sure tell you're a Taxidermist!!!! (grin) My home isn't even remotely full of heads as yours. Thanks.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bnsafe » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 21]

being a taxidermist would help the man card a little
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Well, at least you have plenty of seating capasity there Flystrait. LOL!

I call my little space The Doghouse. It's where I retreat to when mother gets after me. You'd think after 40 years of marrage I would have learned how to stay out of trouble. I have my P&Y mulie, bear, and antelope on the wall. Also, alot of pictures. All my elk antlers are either in the garage or hanging from the rafters in the barn.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 23]

OOPS! I meant foxvalley, not flystrait.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby foxvalley » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 24]

>>>---WW----> wrote:OOPS! I meant foxvalley, not flystrait.

LOL! I never could do that.(flystrait)
foxvalley

Postby Vanish » 01 24, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Someone told a story about a wife who didn't allow mounts but then liked the Euro mount ... I'm in the same boat, even though my wife hunts. No full shoulder mounts allowed, but we have 5 euro mounts now, with HERS being the first one!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby foxvalley » 01 24, 2013 •  [Post 26]

267 hits on this thread,and only 1 man cave shown....... really???? Am I the only one in the whole world that has a man cave? You can't tell me you guys that have been to Africa you don't have a man cave? I think a lot of people expected to see much,much more........(hint)
foxvalley

Postby Harmy » 01 24, 2013 •  [Post 27]

How can we show our "Man Caves" when all I have is a dirty garage full of junk and a small bedroom with computer and reloading bench? If I tried to mount my 6x6 bull in my house I would have to mount it 6" off the floor otherwise the tips would scratch the stucco off my 60 year old bungalow. Now I think I understand how that term came into existance (you better duck low or you will bunga your head). I think I have a "baby cave" compared to your "man-mahal"... After seeing your so called Man Cave I feel woefully inadequate...
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby cnelk » 01 24, 2013 •  [Post 28]

I'll post something of my 'rut-hut' soon..
cnelk

Postby foxvalley » 01 24, 2013 •  [Post 29]

Harmy wrote:How can we show our "Man Caves" when all I have is a dirty garage full of junk and a small bedroom with computer and reloading bench? If I tried to mount my 6x6 bull in my house I would have to mount it 6" off the floor otherwise the tips would scratch the stucco off my 60 year old bungalow. Now I think I understand how that term came into existance (you better duck low or you will bunga your head). I think I have a "baby cave" compared to your "man-mahal"... After seeing your so called Man Cave I feel woefully inadequate...

Harmy, I was afraid that this might be taken the wrong way,It's not about who has the biggest or baddest,it's about a connection,a bond.Like walking into a bulls bedroom. You know he was just there,and this is the place that he lives,you are seeing the things that he sees.You have never seen him,but you feel"connected"to the bull. A place with the face so to speak. My cave is also my showroom for my taxidermy business if thats any consolation,and a few years ago my wife and I were living in a 16x24 cabin (for 5 years) with no plumbing.(Can you say "cabin fever!")Suprised we're still married.LOL.
foxvalley

Postby cnelk » 01 24, 2013 •  [Post 30]

Welcome to my place...
I dont have a very big house. It had a single car attached garage that used to be just a 'catch-all'.
So I made it into my 'den'

I put T&G pine on a couple walls, painted and decorated.

I didnt have room for my latest elk so that went into my living room [1st pic]

Enjoy the video tour and pics

A quick vid ...

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb62 ... ut_hut.mp4

And some pics...

cnelk

Postby Harmy » 01 24, 2013 •  [Post 31]

Foxvalley, don't take my comment about my baby cave seriously. I am being a Smart-@$$. I am, in fact, way impressed by your house and cave. I wish I had the kinds of trophy's you have shown. Cnelk's too. Unfortunately, my hunting started late in life. While I do have a baby cave when if comes to hunting, I also have another man cave which is actually full of my photography of mountains, flowers, and climbing that I took in my 20's through 40's. So many I can't hang them all. Things like below are the trophys hanging on my walls:
Columbine.jpg
Columbine.jpg (64.72 KiB) Viewed 16689 times
Penstemon.jpg
Penstemon.jpg (63.67 KiB) Viewed 16689 times
Snow Hill.jpg
Snow Hill.jpg (119.14 KiB) Viewed 16689 times
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby foxvalley » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 32]

Thanks cnelk,and harmy. That what I'm talking about!
foxvalley