Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scouting opportunities

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scouting opportunities

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 18, 2022 •  [Post 1]

How many are you going to be able and get to your spots this year for some scouting? Looks like some of you will be in new area this year. Are you going to be able to spend the dollars on fuel to be able to check it out before the season comes around?

I was planning on hitting my area a few times but I will be waiting until closer to season to save gas money for the season…I already know my area fairly decent and will be placing tree stands in August. That is if I don’t draw on my Idaho rifle hunt
Elkhunttoo

Re: Scouting opportunities

Postby saddlesore » 05 19, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I only put in for one tag. I will know in two weeks if I get it. I won't be doing any scouting as I have hunted the area for many years. The elk are there, they just move around a little. With Diesel $5+ per gallon, a 600 mile round trip is wasteful to my pocket book.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 05 19, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Mine is a 1200 mile round trip! :shock: I also know my area fairly well, so I'm not to worried about spending time in there pre season. I'd love to if I had the opportunity but not at that cost. Plus a full summer of family activities, there just isn't enough time in the year.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 05 19, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I want to look over a new area I have researched on Google Earth this winter and spring. The trip will cost an additional $100 I suppose, but I need to get out. I will take my grandson. He needs to get out in the woods also. Just having him along makes it worth the extra cost.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 05 21, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Hoping enough snow is gone. This year Im planning at least a dozen days in places we plan to hunt.
Early season I expect we will make a couple different camps before hunting our main area. I would really like my wife to spend more days in camp when its nce,,, and maybe do some extra scouting/hiking with me
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 05 22, 2022 •  [Post 6]

I’m hoping to make it out at some point this summer. Yes… I know my area extremely well but I need to work on a trail before I kill a horse or myself or both. I’ve rolled them off the downhill side the past three years in a row. Last year’s train wreck was scary. I have a few other things I’d like to get done too. I’d like to chainsaw some wood at my spike camp site. Also I want to take a cordless sawzall and an impact driver and build a permanent shooting bench out of some lodgepole pine. I’m hell bent on being able to make ethical long range shots from my money spot. I’m also constantly thinking about doing things to be able to kill elk when I’m so old I can barely get to that spot. I’ll confess though that half of the reason I go up the mountain in the summer months is just for fun. I love it up there! It looks and smells so much different at that time of year.

I also have another reason to head out. My 2023 deer hunt. I get butterflies in my stomach, like stage fright when I think about hunting an area I’ve never seen with a license that took 11 years to get. I’ll never be able to deer hunt there again either at my age. I probably could but next time I’ll likely hunt a region that takes half the points so I can get a couple more hunts in. Last week I finally zeroed in on an area. I’ve started staring at maps. But I’m wise enough to know that a boots on the ground scouting trip is an extremely valuable thing. I need to see it! I want to stand in the spot where my tent will be. I want to feel the initial hike from there to the ridge line. I want to pick some ultimate places to set up and glass and burn images into my mind of the slopes I’ll be glassing.

I should probably just go there in September with my elk tag and a bow. But I wouldn’t accomplish as much because of my elk addiction and if I accidentally kill one I might not get to go back in October! Decisions decisions!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby bcriner38 » 05 24, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I will know next week if I drew my unit tag. Regardless of that spot or another or a new OTC, I will be flying out from GA the last weekend of July for a 4-5 day scout trip. I drove out last year and spent 7 days scouting.
bcriner38

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 24, 2022 •  [Post 8]

bcriner38 wrote:I will know next week if I drew my unit tag. Regardless of that spot or another or a new OTC, I will be flying out from GA the last weekend of July for a 4-5 day scout trip. I drove out last year and spent 7 days scouting.

What state will you be hunting?
Elkhunttoo

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 24, 2022 •  [Post 9]

Elkhunttoo wrote:
bcriner38 wrote:I will know next week if I drew my unit tag. Regardless of that spot or another or a new OTC, I will be flying out from GA the last weekend of July for a 4-5 day scout trip. I drove out last year and spent 7 days scouting.

What state will you be hunting?

Looks like CO.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ