Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Value of an Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Value of an Elk

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2022 •  [Post 1]

How and why do you value your elk kills?

I have killed over 30 elk, but I am not sure just how many. I started as a teenager and had no camera to record the event. I have two sets of antlers now and neither are especially large. One is my first tree stand kill and the other I would have to study some old pictures to figure out where it fits into the scheme of things. I have kept some ivories, but most never left the kill site. I have written magazine stories about some of the kills (approximately 10), but not a lot. I share the meat with family and a little with friends.
I hunt long and patiently. I used to hunt long and hard. It is still important for me to get one, but not devastating to fail if I gave it everything I had. The challenge and adventure are what it is about. There are no high-fives or shouting when the hunt is finished. I get down on my knees and thank my Lord for the elk. I thank Him as much if the hunt is not a success. I always thank God the last evening following a long hunt after walking back into camp in the last light of the day.
So how and why do I value my elk? I am blessed to still be able to hunt and am grateful for every opportunity to go out in the wild with a chance to get one. I am blessed to know how to get them, but in the end, it is about the experience and time alone with the Lord.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Value of an Elk

Postby 7mmfan » 05 05, 2022 •  [Post 2]

That's a deeply personal question I suppose. Everyone will have a different answer.

For me, the immediate answer is the meat. I feed my family almost exclusively on wild game and wild caught fish. I understand that the money I spend on tags and gear and travel negate any savings I could glean from killing my own animals, and could likely save money by buying from the store, but that's not entirely the goal. The main goal is to provide the highest quality meat that I can personally attain for my family.

Next on the valuation list would be the adventure and camaraderie. I love wild places, and I love them more when I am there with a rifle in my hand pursuing the animals that live there. I love being in those places with my family and friends. I've become hyper aware in the last few years that the number of opening days I have are limited, and the ones that I have to spend with some of my closest people are even more limited. When I look back on past trips with my Dad and friends, I can't think of any particularly remarkable occurrences that took place, but every one of those trips has a fond place in my heart that creates a yearning for more.

Lowest on the list of valuation is actually killing the animal. Sure it is the primary goal based on my number one valuation, meat, but the act is low on the list. Like you, there are no hoots, hollers, or high fives. Killing is not to be celebrated in raucous fashion. I don't view myself as particularly spiritual, but I do have a firm grasp of the interconnectedness that all living beings on earth share, and that for one to persist another must die. I don't take that lightly. When I place my hands on an animal that I've killed, far from a road and hopefully sign of man, I feel like I'm doing exactly what I was meant to do and I feel more connected and grounded at that moment than any other.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 05 05, 2022 •  [Post 3]

The ones that got away seem to hold the most value!!!

The trip and hunt is more important to me than the kill. Don't get me wrong I want to killem too, I like to eat them, But I don't hunt elk only to kill a big bulls , or freezer meat cows. Our freezers get full of game anyway so another goose, bull, buck or bear punching the tag isnt always what is satisfying.

My father in law was basically a trophy hunter. He use to say "why ruin a good hunt by killing something."
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 05, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I agree with thanking the Lord with or without the elk! I love the time spent in the mountains…I can’t say I’m a big whoop and holler guy but I am completely fine with a excitement and emotion. It’s a lot of work and when you have an elk in close the emotions can get high so I have no problems with some excitement…I think of Donnie on elk101’s crew and he always has a smile on his face. Always excited when successful and always appreciative of the experience (of course this is just how I see it watching).

For me I just love to watch elk, see elk, listen to elk, and be in elk country! That’s enough. I’ve taken several elk and so now I mainly want to try and get a nice bull with my bow. The ultimate for me would be to see my wife take a nice bull with her bow.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Jhg » 05 05, 2022 •  [Post 5]

There is the pride in a hunt well done. There is the satisfaction of being responsible for what the family eats.
However, when I walk up to an elk I killed my main feeling is humility. I just took a life and for me that is a serious thing, animal or not.
I know I am very fortunate. I hear or read about people who never really are doing what they want to do.

We all know about the European model of hunting which makes the activity something for the landholders and the wealthy. I hope that never arrives here but it is coming bit by bit every time someone spends time and money ensuring access for themselves only and not for all us.

I try to remember that I have it pretty good out here in the rocky mountain west. I think most of the time animal resources are managed pretty well considering the pressures on the resource and the divergent opinions on how to manage it. It always bugs me when someone complains about hunting. Really?

I put a high value on being able to hunt elk. I love scouting, and everything else that goes with being in the elk woods, good or bad. The things I have seen both large and small fill me with awe and wonder. I like the fact that of all the North American prey species elk are considered the toughest and in the world you have to go to Africa to find prey animals in the same league and then there are only a couple as tough as an elk.
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 05 05, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Elkhunttoo wrote:For me I just love to watch elk, see elk, listen to elk, and be in elk country! That’s enough.

I think most hunters never reach that" kumbaya" in hunting, or even in life. I find a lot of satisfaction being in the woods ( or sitting in the truck) on a mountain side watching elk . This year I had Canada goose, snow goose and elk hunting experiences even the biggest outdoorsman will never experience. I I wouldn't have either if I had killed my elk the first couple days, Or taken the "first good shot"

My wife still has a tough time hearing some of our stories,.. she just wants the hunt over and the meat in the freezer.

My grandma use to make some fairly profound statements like, "Everyday you wake up is a good day" seem kind of stupid thing to say or hear when your 9 or ten years old. But I get it now.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 05 08, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:I hunt long and patiently. I used to hunt long and hard. It is still important for me to get one, but not devastating to fail if I gave it everything I had. The challenge and adventure are what it is about. There are no high-fives or shouting when the hunt is finished. I get down on my knees and thank my Lord for the elk. I thank Him as much if the hunt is not a success. I always thank God the last evening following a long hunt after walking back into camp in the last light of the day.
So how and why do I value my elk? I am blessed to still be able to hunt and am grateful for every opportunity to go out in the wild with a chance to get one. I am blessed to know how to get them, but in the end, it is about the experience and time alone with the Lord.

Swede maybe you are finally getting it. But Im still concerned about you using the term " fail", :D Any day Im out their is a success

I use to teach using Edisons quote to my students "I have not failed. I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." :P
So this year I got to be on the elk mountain 36 days, and only had to pack my own elk once. But then again my first goal is not always to kill an elk.
One of my goals is to get my daughter a big bull, As a dad,, for me,, a great big deal to put my daughter in and take a big bull, however our hunting together is really the big thing for me. Ive passed on hundreds of geese to watcha kid try to get a goose ( maybe they did maybe they didnt. Naw thousands.
I watched as my daughter missed a 21 foot shot on a nice mature bull,, and I passed on the the 330 giving me a perfect opportunity under 20 yards.
I'm succeeding if I'm hunting , even more so if with family

And Success
suc·cess
/səkˈses/
Learn to pronounce
noun
1.the accomplishment of an aim or purpose.
2.the good or bad outcome of an undertaking.
I guess my aim or purpose, or daily goal isnt to kill an elk today "

A successful day
My wife and granddaughter sat on the hillside listening to us work a couple bulls, Very early:
241535234_10225097405758018_8324068010675693739_n.jpg
had one mature 6x6 worked up 40 yards from my daughter , 30 minutes and never got a shot at the bull,,, who knows how many cows she had under 20 yards
Lefty

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 09, 2022 •  [Post 8]

The value of an elk can only be determined by the individual who is hunting it.

However, I can tell you that the value of an illegal 6 point bull elk, according to the states Sampson Law in Colorado, is $10,000 plus any other court cost that may be involved.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 05 09, 2022 •  [Post 9]

>>>---WW----> wrote:However, I can tell you that the value of an illegal 6 point bull elk, according to the states Sampson Law in Colorado, is $10,000 plus any other court cost that may be involved.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lefty