Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Special Draws, Permits?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Special Draws, Permits?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 26, 2022 •  [Post 1]

Well, as of today, who drew what... and, what are you still waiting on? I'm waiting on the WY elk draw (thinking I may finally get to hunt the Cowboy State). I was lucky enough to pull one of the WA multi-season elk tags and, I'll apply for special permit quality elk and bull elk in WA this week; I think those results come out in June sometime.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Special Draws, Permits?

Postby wawhitey » 04 26, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I didnt put in for anything this year except washington bull moose. Probably would have been easier to just light $13 dollars on fire and move on, but whatever. Theres always a (very small) chance that ill get to do a hunt that im always thinking about. Id willingly give up every other fall hunt for a year to go hunt moose in the kettle range. I spend a lot of time in prime moose country, see a lot of good bulls, get a lot on camera, have a few dozen shed paddles laying around the house. I think i could do the tag justice as long as work or life didnt interfere. Never know, my spring bear permit last year, i worked 80% of it, then had the last 2 weeks of it off and ended up laying in bed on heat pads with a screwed up back the whole time. $*** happens.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 04 26, 2022 •  [Post 3]

I am waiting until mid-June to see what if anything I can draw here in Oregon. I have several deer and elk options. I usually get something, but not everything. Sometimes I get a good surprise.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 04 26, 2022 •  [Post 4]

You know me… waiting to se the word Successful from Wyoming Fish and Game. I know I’m golden but I still go into overdrive when I see it in writing.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 04 26, 2022 •  [Post 5]

We'll put in for Idaho Antelope.

Just so you guys know: Send me your application for Idaho Elephant and Zebra tags, Put in as often as you wish,, $1.00 per chance :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 26, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Lefty wrote:We'll put in for Idaho Antelope.

Just so you guys know: Send me your application for Idaho Elephant and Zebra tags, Put in as often as you wish,, $1.00 per chance :lol:

Sweet deal? Are those bull or cow tags for elephant, and, stallion or mare tags for the zebras? Just want to know what I'm looking at if I decide to put in for one.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 04 26, 2022 •  [Post 7]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:

Sweet deal? Are those bull or cow tags for elephant, and, stallion or mare tags for the zebras? Just want to know what I'm looking at if I decide to put in for one.

For an extra five bucks its your choice!!
Twenty dollars puts you in the drawing for the Idaho Super Hunt, either sex!

African elephant
white rhino
Cape buffalo
African lion and,
leopard
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 04 27, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Colorado cow elk, Muzzle Loader.Find out in early June
saddlesore

Postby 7mmfan » 04 27, 2022 •  [Post 9]

Lefty wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:

For an extra five bucks its your choice!!
Twenty dollars puts you in the drawing for the Idaho Super Hunt, either sex!

African elephant
white rhino
Cape buffalo
African lion and,
leopard

You're really missing out Lefty. Do like WA does and have a antlerless, buck/bull, and quality tag for each species, and a weapon selection. You could sell 6 or 7 times as many applications and charge a premium for the quality tag.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby 7mmfan » 04 27, 2022 •  [Post 10]

I'll put in for some deer tags in WA this year but that will be it. I'm not even buying a WA elk tag this year, no reason to, I won't be chasing spikes during the general season and with the huge reduction in bull tags it's not even worth applying.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 04 27, 2022 •  [Post 11]

Drew MT elk. Will go archery to where we went last year. Just withdrew my WY app so you gents will have a better chance!
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 04 27, 2022 •  [Post 12]

Im going to put a few bucks into a couple washington raffle tags too. Just a couple each, no big money. Really would like to hunt moose here some day.
wawhitey

Postby Indian Summer » 04 27, 2022 •  [Post 13]

Tigger wrote:Drew MT elk. Will go archery to where we went last year. Just withdrew my WY app so you gents will have a better chance!

All of the sudden I like you a little bit more. :D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Jhg » 04 27, 2022 •  [Post 14]

I tied up this falls bull this past weekend. Phew, what a job. First, we had to choose loin cloths. Then, which moccasins. My wife, one upping me, said she would go barefoot. Then, would we chase the chosen bull in daylight or in the moonlight. Night is always better so we went with that.

I forgot my torch and had to borrow one from the group next to us. Thankfully they had an extra firebrand.

It started pretty normal. We (the teenagers and us parental units) got upwind of a bunch of elk and then, screaming and yelling, howling and shrieking, freaked the elk out and got them milling around in typical fashion. This is most important. Calm elk tend to make smart decisions and in general make you look stupid. You have to freak them out. Running around naked (well almost) and doing your best rendition of a crack crazy used to be corporate executive is a good choice.
Once we had them milling, it was time to cut the big guy from the others. That job went to my 18 year old step-son. I was able to make it seem like a gesture both gracious and magnanimous. Actually, the idea of running after a healthy bull elk while toting this christmas ham (named Elmer) where the six pack abs used to reside (a long long long time ago) was not so appealing so any excuse no matter how lame or self-serving, seemed justifiable.
I tripped over a deadfall and got a pretty good skid rash on my loins, er, thighs. My wife, seeing a neat and unusual tree, decided to sit down and start chanting. The 16 year old step daughter, pissed there was no cell service, did a great job of looking put-upon and in general was above showing any emotion other than disdain.

After awhile, and getting hungry, we caught a spotted owl and cooked it up. I plan on lugging in a big mineral bag so the bull has satisfactory antlers come fall.
On the drive home we stopped at a Walgreens and bought a brick of band aids. All of us had numerous and sundry scratches from falling down, crashing through pucker brush and acting invincible.
Jhg

Postby wawhitey » 04 27, 2022 •  [Post 15]

Jhg wrote:I tied up this falls bull this past weekend. Phew, what a job. First, we had to choose loin cloths. Then, which moccasins. My wife, one upping me, said she would go barefoot. Then, would we chase the chosen bull in daylight or in the moonlight. Night is always better so we went with that.

I forgot my torch and had to borrow one from the group next to us. Thankfully they had an extra firebrand.

It started pretty normal. We (the teenagers and us parental units) got upwind of a bunch of elk and then, screaming and yelling, howling and shrieking, freaked the elk out and got them milling around in typical fashion. This is most important. Calm elk tend to make smart decisions and in general make you look stupid. You have to freak them out. Running around naked (well almost) and doing your best rendition of a crack crazy used to be corporate executive is a good choice.
Once we had them milling, it was time to cut the big guy from the others. That job went to my 18 year old step-son. I was able to make it seem like a gesture both gracious and magnanimous. Actually, the idea of running after a healthy bull elk while toting this christmas ham (named Elmer) where the six pack abs used to reside (a long long long time ago) was not so appealing so any excuse no matter how lame or self-serving, seemed justifiable.
I tripped over a deadfall and got a pretty good skid rash on my loins, er, thighs. My wife, seeing a neat and unusual tree, decided to sit down and start chanting. The 16 year old step daughter, pissed there was no cell service, did a great job of looking put-upon and in general was above showing any emotion other than disdain.

After awhile, and getting hungry, we caught a spotted owl and cooked it up. I plan on lugging in a big mineral bag so the bull has satisfactory antlers come fall.
On the drive home we stopped at a Walgreens and bought a brick of band aids. All of us had numerous and sundry scratches from falling down, crashing through pucker brush and acting invincible.

Say whatnow?
wawhitey

Postby Jhg » 04 27, 2022 •  [Post 16]

I guess I should have added I put in for a special permit.
Jhg

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 29, 2022 •  [Post 17]

I will be putting in for my Idaho tags again this year…that’s about as exciting as I get 8-)
Elkhunttoo

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 04 30, 2022 •  [Post 18]

My 13 year old son gets a youth deer license in Minnesota for $1.50. Even as a non-resident, he gets 4 days of hunting (either sex rifle) in mid-October, 3 weeks before everyone else gets to hunt!! Anybody know of any other states with sweet deals for the next generation?
Thegreatwapiti