Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What type of weather prevents you from hunting?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What type of weather prevents you from hunting?

Postby js80138 » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 1]

As I type my question the weather outside is brutul. It been that way for most of April and today marks our 17th day of High Fire Warning. WInds are blowing steady at 2o mph and will peak around 6 pm at a steady 35 mph with gust to 50 mph. Humidity is at 10% quick glance at the weather page and its now 9%. It's 80 degrees right now and there has been no measurable precipitation all month. I started to ponder what weather conditions would stop me from hunting. Initially I would have said cloud to ground lightening however the more I think of the conditions outside I have changed my mind and would say todays weather would prevent me from hunting. The fire danger and wind would outweigh my desire to hunt.
js80138

Re: What type of weather prevents you from hunting?

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 2]

We live 10 minutes apart. Fire danger is real today but unless I'm in an active fire zone, I'm hunting! I'm obviously not having a campfire or creating an sparks, but I'm hunting. I'm going to have enough knowledge of my area to exit in multiple directions, but I'm hunting. 2 years ago the fire was in my zone so I moved to a different zone, but I went hunting. The season is going to end whether I go hunting or not, so I'm hunting. Massive blowdown, I'm hunting.
Attachments
20200911_093659.jpg
20200911_093659.jpg (321.14 KiB) Viewed 2434 times
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Swede » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 3]

It depends on how and where I am hunting. I hunt most if not all of the archery elk season. I don't care to be miserable and have enough season that I don't need to be. I don't like to be cold and wet but will hunt in the rain or snow if I have the right situation.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Only one thing stops me from hunting. Fog. It’s not a decision. I have no choice. When I can’t see 10 feet I can’t hunt.

The worst weather to hunt in to me is that in between temperature where it’s raining and snowing at the same time. I’d rather have snow than rain but when it’s cold enough to snow but it’s raining…. YUK! I’ll get to a sitting spot as quickly as I can and set up the sil tarp and hunker down and glass all day… and probably nap here and there. I had a saying I’d tell clients who were either lazy or just worn out: “One place I can guarantee you will not kill an elk is in the tent” I don’t care how far you go just get out there.

I have hunted in close proximity to fires. After awhile your eyes burn and your throat gets irritated. You can only handle so much of that. But I don’t quit I just relocate.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Jhg » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 5]

If I am warm and reasonably dry, I do not care what the weather is as long as it is not sunny and warm. Those "perfect" conditions are my least favorite.

Wind will get on my nerves after awhile but because I know it bugs me and could be something to whine about, I try to roll with it. Don't ever ever let it get its foot in the door (of my mind) kinda thing.
Jhg

Postby wawhitey » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Heavy rain, im out. Though ill sometimes just go find a good vantage point to sit in my truck with the heater running and glass. I like the fog for predator calling. Nice foggy day is ideal. Dont have to worry about bright sunshine screwing up what would otherwise be a good calling location.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Guess it depends on what I'm hunting. Mule deer and elk I've never had great luck in high winds and heavy rain. Conversely, that is the best weather conditions I've found to hunt blacktail in. I have bagged bear hunting trips because it was just too hot. I don't want to shoot a bear 5 miles from the truck when it's 90 outside.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 8]

7mmfan wrote:Guess it depends on what I'm hunting. Mule deer and elk I've never had great luck in high winds and heavy rain. Conversely, that is the best weather conditions I've found to hunt blacktail in. I have bagged bear hunting trips because it was just too hot. I don't want to shoot a bear 5 miles from the truck when it's 90 outside.

The best bear hunting is to be found in 90+ temps. Have a cooler or two full of ice at your truck and be prepared to bone that sucker out and haul azz with a heavy load. All is well
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer wrote:Only one thing stops me from hunting. Fog. It’s not a decision. I have no choice. When I can’t see 10 feet I can’t hunt.
The worst weather to hunt in to me is that in between temperature where it’s raining and snowing at the same time. I’d rather have snow than rain but when it’s cold enough to snow but it’s raining…. YUK! I’ll get to a sitting spot as quickly as I can and set up the sil tarp and hunker down and glass all day… and probably nap here and there. I had a saying I’d tell clients who were either lazy or just worn out: “One place I can guarantee you will not kill an elk is in the tent” I don’t care how far you go just get out there.
I have hunted in close proximity to fires. After awhile your eyes burn and your throat gets irritated. You can only handle so much of that. But I don’t quit I just relocate.

Theres going back to camp; or town quitting, and there is glassing from the truck quitting. Otherwise what Joe said.
Ive hunted elk a few times in -15 and colder, Ive hunted geese dozens of times -15 and colder

Now,, I dont need to get miserable and stay hunting. But if Im up at camp, Im putting some effort in

Joe I shot my first antelope(1979) in fog;20 yard visibility. This year I shot my elk in fog when I shot the elk, visibly was 40 yards .( ranged the furthest cows waiting to take my shot ) I could hear the herd over a mile away, smell them far enough away too. Put the stalk on whitetails, antelope, moose and elk in heavy snow with visibility under 80 yards

This year fall waterfoulin I had a few days blowing snow, 45 mph winds , great hunting,
Spring snow goose hunting we had some fierce winds.

Smoke ,, Im about ready to leave the country .

We quit early this day, noon temp was 12 below, and I had spent the night in the back of the pickup ( I was plenty warm at night)

2018-12-04 12-18-17.JPG
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 10]

I don't hunt when it is raining. I find most elk hunker down and don't move much. Same with a snow storm, but I git out immediately when it quits.That is when the best hunting i.s
saddlesore

Postby js80138 » 04 23, 2022 •  [Post 11]

I appreciate the input. The numerous examples of challenging weather conditions is valuable for future hunts. I have hunted in many of these same conditions over the years and have taken great pride that I made the effort in difficult conditions. There are other times, usually involving a fall or conditons that took my mind away from the hunt and into survival mode that left me wondering if I would have been better off staying in camp. Maybe we all have days when we feel that way. :lol: Of course I am thinking about all of these things in April and not hunting season where I have prepared physically and mentally for my hunt.

A few follow up questions/comments for the group.

Thank you for the reminder that I need to have an exit strategy while actively hunting. Sadly archery season in Colorado for the past few years has gone hand in hand with smoke and fire.
I have hunted in Fog twice at the end of Septmeber during archery. Truely beautiful and it was not dense as described. Do you recommend wearing an orange outter layer for really dense fog?
Good reminder that when its raining heavy the elk aren't moving so I should hunker down as well. Not following that advice last year caused me two hard falls as the trails became slippery and so did the logs i used to cross areas.
Since no one mentioned cloud to ground lightning I have to ask if that is just a silly question. Does everyone get to safety immediately or do I have a phobia?
js80138

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 04 23, 2022 •  [Post 12]

I don't think you have a phobia, but I was struck (pun intended) by your comment...."get to safety."

I'm not exactly sure what constitutes "safety" in the backcountry? Is in my tent safer then under the dry base of a spruce tree? What about hunkered down under a rocky outcropping? If the weather is likely to pass, I would stay out in the driest location possible. If the weather is persistent, probably in the tent.

If it's my time to die-by-lightning, probably doesn't matter where I am.
Thegreatwapiti

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 23, 2022 •  [Post 13]

Heavy rain? Not so much! But a lite to medium drizzle is golden. The rain drives your scent to the ground and also makes for less noise while moving around. Also, the elk don't seem to mind it at all. And there is a good chance you have the whole mountain to yourself while everyone else is back at camp playing cards by the fire.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 04 23, 2022 •  [Post 14]

Thats called self preservation.

When there is lightning Im headed for safety
js80138 wrote: Does everyone get to safety immediately or do I have a phobia?

I spent 40 minutes hiding on Chicken out ridge , When you can feel the charge in the air, that is spooky

borah_overview.jpg
borah_overview.jpg (156.27 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
Lefty

Postby Jhg » 04 23, 2022 •  [Post 15]

If we are grousing about cold hunting.... (are we??)

I think we were hitting 22 below in the mornings. I was hunting out of the camper shown and even with the heater at full freight the inside was no better than 30*. I spilled some water on the floor. It froze into a sheet of ice before I could get a towel on it. I had to lay the towel over it after sprinkling flour on it just so I didn't wipe out on the ice going to the bathroom. In camper I wore what I would wear hunting in 20* weather, boots and all.

One morning, the trees all around exploding in the dark and every inhale carefully considered so as not to frost my upper respiratory, I was forced to return to camp after about 45minutes. My body was already going into a temp deficit and "toughing it out" would be simply stupid, rather than resilient. Sometimes you have to know when to say when. I know how to dress for extreme cold, but what I had that morning at my rate of exertion was not enough.

The ice camper
EC24C897-B01A-45C7-B437-7E56C68871C0.jpeg
EC24C897-B01A-45C7-B437-7E56C68871C0.jpeg (91.92 KiB) Viewed 2386 times
Jhg

Postby Jhg » 04 23, 2022 •  [Post 16]

Do not go into a cave or overhang in lightening. Think spark plug. The space above your head and the rock is an electrode gap. If a strike decides your wet flesh is a faster path to ground, splat. Any questions?
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 04 23, 2022 •  [Post 17]

This was a -22.7 below( officially 3/4 mile away)
I only set 3 decoys, quick limit. I had left the dog at the truck,at first She did her whiney beg, so I took hear out She got to lay in a nice down jacket

20170106_112204(0) -17  fast hunt 3 decoys n farm.jpg
Lefty

Postby Fridaythe13th » 04 24, 2022 •  [Post 18]

Elk hunting I only get 7-8 days to hunt. I hunt in it all, but I hate wind! Cold is fine, rain sucks but have had really great days in the field, snow is bad bit only if you get 1. we hauled one out in the snow and surprised someone didn't blow a knee out. Wind stay away. Cool, calm fall morning is where it's at.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Tigger » 04 25, 2022 •  [Post 19]

Lightning obviously. I will change plans but still hunt for wind and snow. Enough wind might make me cut a day short....I have never had good luck in extreme wind (40mph+).

A downpour of rain may change my plans as well. Light and moderate will not, but a downpour will.

You need to measure, will hunting in really bad weather cause you to miss a day later on because your gear is soaked or you are mentally spent? To each his own with comfort so don't feel you need to match someone else. Don't hamper your hunting partner, but sleeping in to recharge, dry gear, etc is not the end of the world if it really helps you the rest of the week.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 04 25, 2022 •  [Post 20]

I think of myself as a dedicated hard hunter, but I am no fanatic. I can let it go for a day or two and use the time to prepare what is ahead. I think there are times when we are better off waiting, so our hunting time is the most productive. I suppose there is equipment for every possible condition we can run into. My trailer just can't haul everything, so I won't buy it.
I am still wondering what Lefty was hunting for on top of Chicken-Out Ridge. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 04 25, 2022 •  [Post 21]

Swede wrote:
I am still wondering what Lefty was hunting for on top of Chicken-Out Ridge. :D

Actually We had headed that direction looking for elk,, tp do so glassing from above.

One guy thought I was divinely inspired to be there., and suggesting everyone to get down lower elevation.

I was solo climbing; There were two guides at the top, I saw this one cloud building and lightning, I suggested that every one get down lower. Just down-right scary.
That trip I talked two men, who had froze on the lower part of Chicken-out and moved them to safety. Then coming down an 18 year old kid slipped on the snow pack, He freaked out, I was able to calm him down enough for him to get a rope on the downhill side of him.

I move a whole lot slower than other climbers. One group told my wife what I had done, as a big thank you, They made her a beyound restaurant quality dinner , and had a meal waiting for me when I got back down.
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 25, 2022 •  [Post 22]

I’d have to say side ways gale storm winds will slow my normally eager departure in the morning. I hunker down just as the elk do.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ