Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How to Select a Big Game Outfitter?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How to Select a Big Game Outfitter?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 21, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I've seen a similar topic on other forums and they seem to provide some really good information and create some great discussions. Let's run one on WapitiTalk.com. ;)

Selecting a Big Game Outfitter 101.

1. How does one find and select an outfitter for big game (elk, deer, moose, caribou, bear, sasquatch, etc.)?

2. What are a handful of questions you should ask before committing your time and money to a specific outfit?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: How to Select a Big Game Outfitter?

Postby Tigger » 04 21, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I would want to talk to clients who were unsuccessful in harvesting.
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 3]

One way!!! Word of mouth.. from a VERY trusted source. A personal friend or friend of a friend. You can find trusted sources on the internet. Don’t ask the outfitter for phone numbers. Yes you should do that too for the heck of it but like Tig said.. talk to unsuccessful ones. Ask outfitters trick questions first though. Start with “What was your success rate LAST YEAR” Remember that he can honestly say 100% if he only killed one animal… if he only had one hunter. So after he tells you his true success rate ask how many animals WERE KILLED…. He’s going to tell you about the ones that got away. There’s nothing wrong with that because I can certainly tell you about elk that SHOULD HAVE DIED but didn’t because the hunter blew it. So… after all that ask him straight up how many hunters did you have last year. Then do the math in your head and say ok so your success rate was 50%, or whatever he told you, and you had 40 hunters so you actually killed 20 right? And then… you have all of the information you need to ask the real question: Can you give me the contact information for ALL 40 of those hunters? Be nice… tell him you realize that he can’t keep all of the greenhorns and flatlanders happy and that some hunters just suck. He’ll like hearing that. Then stick to your guns and demand the contact information for even the crappy clients.

Also… it’s not just the answers you’re paying attention to. It’s also how fast he answers your questions. Does he hesitate? Does he skirt around the question which I call smoke screening. If he avoids questions do yourself a favor and hang up the phone!

Ask about deposit/refund policies. Remember he needs you. You have the upper hand. You can be talking to someone else in 10 seconds but he can’t be talking to another prospective client the same day. Ask him to email a contract. Read it like you are a lawyer.

Ask for pictures of last year’s animals. Ask specifically for the phone numbers of the hunters in the pictures.

Ask him if he has a local taxidermist his hunters use. Ask him if there’s a local meat processor he takes your game to. THEN… call those guys and ask them if he brings them much business. While you’re at it ask them which outfitter does bring them the most business.

Google the outfitters personal name instead of his business name. You might be in for a surprise! Oh wow he has a pile of complaints, lawsuits, just got out of jail, lives in Zimbabwe and ripped off 30 old ladies for their entire estate. Google is your friend!

Ask him if he does any outdoor shows in your area. If so go there. Face to face is priceless. If you go there and he has a line of past and future hunters great! If he’s sitting there half asleep with nobody to talk to and smells like stale cigarettes and Jack Daniels great! Mission accomplished!

I could go on forever but one more thing: Call his competitors. And while you’re at it ask him about the other outfitters in his area. They will all be glad to tell you the bad things about each other. They make great sources of information! But also look out for the guy who is just overly eager to talk shit on everyone else. If a guy is on the up and up AND a decent human being he’ll tell you the truth but he won’t spend all day shredding his fellow man.

Another solution is call me! I know outfitters all over the west, in Canada, in Alaska and the Yukon. Maybe I can steer you in the right direction or at least keep you from going in the wrong one. Sometimes it’s not about a specific outfitter but about the trend of game populations or quality of animals in a particular area.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 4]

To anybody who googles "how to find an outfitter" and stumbles upon this thread....you should send Indian Summer $20 for the advice he just gave you.
Tigger

Postby Jhg » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 5]

"Face to face is priceless."

Even the best outfitter/guide cannot give you a good trip if the two of you are somehow a poor match. It happens. The outfitters professionalism will overcome a lot of it, but you will have less fun. Not his fault. Not your fault. Just reality.

A good outfitter (and most of them are very proud) will move heaven and earth to give you the best experience possible. Meet them even an inch of the way and you will be met with the best they have to give.

I despised a few of our clients. These peeps were selfish, demanding and petty. But they were few, thankfully.

My advise in choosing is don't second guess your intuition. If it does not feel right at any point, maybe it will not be a good fit. Sure, be open minded. Just don't let excitement and the "dream" plow under common sense.

Using myself as an example:

1) I want as much involvement in the hunt as possible. I am not a lead around by the nose client. So will my guide include me in the days hunt planning (within reason). Do not put me in a tree stand that is over a bait site with logs placed so the elk will be standing broadside as he tries to get at the mineral. Chances are, I would be contacting the local warden.

2) I will want to help process the animal. Some clients can stand around and watch while the guides do the work. Not me. I have a huge problem watching others bust butt while I don't do anything. Just sayin.

3) I will be asking for a guide who is considered the even tempered, calm one. When I arrow a nice bull, I don't want a bunch of whooping and hollering, back slapping and whatever. For me the moment is kinda sacred. Let me do it my way. I appreciate approval and appreciate accomplishment, mine and the guides. Especially if it has been a tough hunt. But can we be respectful? I just took a creatures life. It may be my thing, but it is important to me. I guided many who could care less about stuff like this and thats ok too.

Know thyself and line up an outfitter who is not freaked out because a client has a spiritual side to their hunting.

(I guess that component is vague and would be hard to express to a business person. I am an outfitters worst nightmare. Independent, opinionated. I know what I want. But then I have been a guide and I would be considerate, flexible and forgiving. If the other things are met).

Point being is let the outfitter know your expectations. How unfair would it be for someone like me to keep my expectations to myself? Do not blindside them. Be upfront about what you are looking for so they can be successful in meeting those expectations.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 6]

I went through Cabelas and had a great hunt years ago (2005). The camp including meals were excellent and I got a nice caribou.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Jhg wrote:"Face to face is priceless."

Even the best outfitter/guide cannot give you a good trip if the two of you are somehow a poor match. It happens. The outfitters professionalism will overcome a lot of it, but you will have less fun. Not his fault. Not your fault. Just reality.

A good outfitter (and most of them are very proud) will move heaven and earth to give you the best experience possible. Meet them even an inch of the way and you will be met with the best they have to give.

I despised a few of our clients. These peeps were selfish, demanding and petty. But they were few, thankfully.

My advise in choosing is don't second guess your intuition. If it does not feel right at any point, maybe it will not be a good fit. Sure, be open minded. Just don't let excitement and the "dream" plow under common sense.

Using myself as an example:

1) I want as much involvement in the hunt as possible. I am not a lead around by the nose client. So will my guide include me in the days hunt planning (within reason). Do not put me in a tree stand that is over a bait site with logs placed so the elk will be standing broadside as he tries to get at the mineral. Chances are, I would be contacting the local warden.

2) I will want to help process the animal. Some clients can stand around and watch while the guides do the work. Not me. I have a huge problem watching others bust butt while I don't do anything. Just sayin.

3) I will be asking for a guide who is considered the even tempered, calm one. When I arrow a nice bull, I don't want a bunch of whooping and hollering, back slapping and whatever. For me the moment is kinda sacred. Let me do it my way. I appreciate approval and appreciate accomplishment, mine and the guides. Especially if it has been a tough hunt. But can we be respectful? I just took a creatures life. It may be my thing, but it is important to me. I guided many who could care less about stuff like this and thats ok too.

Know thyself and line up an outfitter who is not freaked out because a client has a spiritual side to their hunting.

(I guess that component is vague and would be hard to express to a business person. I am an outfitters worst nightmare. Independent, opinionated. I know what I want. But then I have been a guide and I would be considerate, flexible and forgiving. If the other things are met).

Point being is let the outfitter know your expectations. How unfair would it be for someone like me to keep my expectations to myself? Do not blindside them. Be upfront about what you are looking for so they can be successful in meeting those expectations.

The first paragraph is huge. If a guide or outfitter is good at his job but your personalities aren’t a match you won’t enjoy your hunt. Some guys have a sense of humor, some are dry. Some like to share stories and get to know you, some are very quiet. This is excellent point.

Number 3 is a really big deal to me. I don’t care for tv hunting shows because of the laughing, hive fives, and “booya!” type celebrations after a kill. It is a sacred moment. It’s why even when I’m in camp with friends or family I hunt solo. Always.

Very good post!!!
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Great post guys!.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Pop-r » 05 19, 2022 •  [Post 9]

IF I were to ever use an outfitter and he gave my number or contact info to anyone I wouldn't be happy about it to say the least. I can only imagine many if not most people feel the same.
Pop-r

Postby Swede » 05 19, 2022 •  [Post 10]

Pop-r, I am curious to read how you would determine if an outfitter, unknown to you, in Alaska was going to be satisfactory without asking any of their recent clients? I have been contacted and never felt it was too intrusive of my valuable time to help a fellow hunter. I also post here to help people and encourage them. It is not too much to give back. If the timing of a call is not good, I would say so and give them a time that would fit.
Swede

Postby Jhg » 05 19, 2022 •  [Post 11]

I would have no problem being contacted by someone interested in my experience with an outfitter. They usually ask if you will be willing to do so. At that point you can opt out. All very up front.
Jhg

Postby Indian Summer » 05 19, 2022 •  [Post 12]

Pop-r wrote:IF I were to ever use an outfitter and he gave my number or contact info to anyone I wouldn't be happy about it to say the least. I can only imagine many if not most people feel the same.

Why not? I enjoy talking about a hunt. If I had a good hunt I’m probably a friend with the outfitter by the time it’s over so I’d gladly help him if I can.

If an outfitter didn’t do his job he probably wouldn’t give out your number so you can tell others about it. If he did I’m sure hed ask permission. I always asked clients if it was ok to use them as a reference and gave unsuccessful hunters the same option. There’s always two sides to a story and so I’ll add this: Some people are never happy. Some hunters blame everything and everybody but themselves because they didn’t go home a hero. Sometimes they do kill their elk and/or deer but they’re still an asshole. I wouldn’t give their number to anyone. Lots of times even their partner whispers in your ear that they are an idiot. They don’t make good partners, friends, or hunters. Or references. But fortunately they are the minority and most hunters are cool with helping their outfitter just like he helped them.
Indian Summer

Postby Pop-r » 05 20, 2022 •  [Post 13]

I guess it just doesn't fit me to use an outfitter. I can see where it might be beneficial to talk to those who have used one though.
Pop-r

Postby Indian Summer » 05 20, 2022 •  [Post 14]

They definitely serve a purpose. It might interest you to know that I just booked a deer hunt, unguided, with a Wyoming outfitter for next year. I know the area and obviously I’m capable of doing it on my own. So why in the world would I do that you ask! To maximize my time. It will have taken me 10 years to save the points for the license. I’ll also get game packed out without having to hike out a drive to pick horses back up to do that. I can fly instead of driving with a bunch if gear. And quite frankly I welcome his knowledge of the area. It costs me $200 more than it would to lease horses, buy hay, and rent a trailer. But to me the big thing is getting everything I need into the high country without having to turn around and ride the horses back out, hike back in, or take care of them every day. Less work, more hunt. I’m actually thinking about going that route for my future elk hunts depending on what I see up there.
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 05 20, 2022 •  [Post 15]

I ran into a hunter years ago that had his own horse equipment and tackle. He claimed he went to the auction shortly before the hunting season and bought a couple of horses and just kept them until his hunt was over. Then he took them back to the auction. I thought that sounded clever, if you could make it work. I knew better than to try that for myself as I would probably get some worthless broomtails that would end up as bear bait. As good as the idea sounded, your scheme sounds much better as it is more foolproof. All you need is to find a reliable outfitter, but here we are back to calling references.
Swede

Postby Pop-r » 05 20, 2022 •  [Post 16]

That's sounds like a deal for sure. The animals can sure be a pain in the ass. It helps if you can just take someone along as a wrangler to help around camp but if you can get it done and not have to worry about it then that's a no brainer. Swede I have done that before. It makes for some good stories about rodeos. You'll sure find out what you have pretty soon.
Pop-r

Postby Swede » 05 20, 2022 •  [Post 17]

Pop-r, I thought it was a good idea, but I do not know horses well enough to gamble on two of them.
I worked with a former wrangler for a number of years. He told me when he was a ranch hand the owner issued him an ornery horse that no one else would ride. He was young and new to the ranch, so he was stuck. To make a long story short, he had a rodeo every morning and the horse would try to hurt him anytime it could. After raking his leg along a fence one day the horse ran under some tree limbs to try to get rid of its rider. Well Jim had enough. He pulled out his pistol and shot the broomtail right between the ears. He said it was a stupid move on his part as the horse dropped and tumbled immediately. He felt lucky to have survived the fall. When it was over, he had to get his tackle off the horse and walk back two miles to the truck. To make matters worse, he had to pay for the horse. At least he got a safer ride, and no one got his at an auction.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 05 20, 2022 •  [Post 18]

Swede wrote:I ran into a hunter years ago that had his own horse equipment and tackle. He claimed he went to the auction shortly before the hunting season and bought a couple of horses and just kept them until his hunt was over. Then he took them back to the auction. I thought that sounded clever, if you could make it work. I knew better than to try that for myself as I would probably get some worthless broomtails that would end up as bear bait. As good as the idea sounded, your scheme sounds much better as it is more foolproof. All you need is to find a reliable outfitter, but here we are back to calling references.

There is a reason and usually a bad one as to why those horses are in the auctions. Finding out on the side of a mountain what those reasons are is not healthy.

Aside from a few hunts deer and antelope hunts,I have used horses or mules for 50+ years hunting elk.Usually ones I raised and trained myself. My success rate for elk was in the 95% realm up until two years ago when my health started failing. For ten years prior to that, if I didn't have my mules,I would have had to quit hunting. I have never had to pack elk meat on my back,which I figure is not the brightest thing to do. A comfortable wall tent with a wood stove packed in with horses or mules is way better living than a two man nylon tent that you cant even stand up in . A person can expand the 5 mile radius from camp to 10 or so and do it for an entire season. You can hunt hard all day and only need enough energy to crawl back on a saddle.The best reason is my mules make a heck of a sight better hunting partner than most

Roscoe  and elk.jpg
Roscoe and elk.jpg (347.09 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Old school » 05 27, 2022 •  [Post 19]

Great pic Vince. No doubt you've had some great adventures with those mules. I've never raised or trained any stock, so I'd be at a total loss there.

I'm considering using drop camps in the coming years as well for hunting Mule Deer for reasons similar to what Joe posted above. If it takes me 8-9 years to hunt them, I want to take full advantage of that time. Caring for stock wouldn't be what I have in mind...

Joe - that advice you gave up above is priceless. Anyone ever thinking about a guided hunt should bookmark this thread and use it as a resource and guide for what to ask.

-Mitch
Old school