Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Really

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Really

Postby Lefty » 04 13, 2022 •  [Post 1]

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/popular-elk-skull-stolen-rocky-mountain-national-park
In March, an elk named Kahuna died from natural causes at the state park. The animal was popular with visitors due to his uniquely shaped antlers.
The Rocky National Park Service decided to let nature take its course with Kahuna's body and left it in the wild to decompose. Unfortunately, it appears someone has disrupted that plan.
In March, a popular elk named Kahuna died from natural causes at the state park.
The park service recently announced on Twitter that the animal's skull had been illegally taken out of the park.
"Visitors recently highlighted the passing of an elk in Rocky Mountain National Park, referred to as Kahuna," the post read. "Park Rangers are investigating the illegal removal of Kahuna's skull and antler. Anyone with information is urged to call the NPS Tip Line."
Kahuna appeared to have been injured last mating season, CPR News reports. He was spotted several times over the winter, and it was reported that he appeared to be underweight.
The exact cause of his death has not been publicly reported.
Fox News previously reported that Colorado officials believe this year will be another big year for hunting, along with other outdoor activities.
Over the last seven years, the number of people applying for hunting licenses in the state has risen by nearly a third.
The Colorado Parks and Wildlife Department issued a news release urging people hoping to draw a big-game hunting this year to register early.
One of the reasons listed by the department was to help avoid slowdown due to the high volume of applications the state is receiving.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Really

Postby Swede » 04 13, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Here is my list of suspects:

1. Park ranger that knew where the elk died.
2. Someone else that knew where the elk died.
3. Park ranger that knew where the elk died.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 04 14, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Knowing the park the way I do it would be easy for anyone to find/see where the animal died. Matter of fact, I am sure 100's knew where and visited the site often to see how it changed.

They call it a state park several times. It is a National Park. Poor reporting all around.
Jhg

Postby Indian Summer » 04 14, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:Here is my list of suspects:

1. Park ranger that knew where the elk died.
2. Someone else that knew where the elk died.
3. Park ranger that knew where the elk died.

Swede are you a conspiracy theorist? Me too!!! 9 out of 10 times it’s an inside job. If it wasn’t a ranger it was probably a law enforcement officer! These days it seems that the people with authority are more corrupt than the public. Why? Because they can!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Indian Summer » 04 14, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Who would want this taking up space hidden in the back corner of their basement? Dirtbag!!!

I’d have given my right nut, and Swede’s, to have an opportunity to take this stud on public land. Thank God I’ve never seen a bull like that. I’d have quit my job and kissed my family goodbye to go after him.
Attachments
822D84D7-870D-40B2-B410-DAA0AC7F339E.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby Tigger » 04 14, 2022 •  [Post 6]

I watched a great morning of rutting activity with this bull a couple years ago. my boys and i watched him with some photographers. interestingly, nobody knew where this bull went after the rut and his sheds were allegedly never found.
Tigger

Postby Otcbowhunter » 04 14, 2022 •  [Post 7]

My bet is that its the person with the one shed antler.
Otcbowhunter

Postby Indian Summer » 04 14, 2022 •  [Post 8]

We have bulls like that in Pennsylvania. I know a kid 20 years old who drew a tag the first time he applied and killed a 400 incher with a bow. That would not happen to me. I’ll never draw the license and if I did I’d probably break a leg or two 3 days before the season. Lol
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 04 14, 2022 •  [Post 9]

To my way of thinking the park service employee in authority, that thought the head and antlers would stay out there to decay is a moron. Those bare antlers are worth hundreds of dollars and the value as a head mount is likely in the thousands. Just to just leave them out is Foolish. I think she (probably) should leave her purse out there with the body and see how long it stays. Maybe he/she should hold on to that purse and go see a shrink to get a check-up. What aggravates me is that our tax dollars pay for those dimwits.
I think it would have been much better to salvage what they could of the head and cape and taken it in to a taxidermist. Having retired from the U.S. Forest Service I can say this comes as no shock. That organization has its dead heads too. Just my not so humble opinion. :D
Swede

Postby Jhg » 04 14, 2022 •  [Post 10]

I have to agree with some of that. Temptation is something many of us cannot rise above. Just like the dude that killed Samson in someones yard and thought somehow it would work out. (Samson was the monster bull around RMNP back in the day).
Jhg

Postby Swede » 04 14, 2022 •  [Post 11]

I just had to check to see if my judgement might have been off a bit on the management of the RMNP. The park superintendent is an attractive young lady named Darla. I really don't care that much about someone stealing a head that was going to be left for scavengers and squirrels to pick over. Five pounds of hamburger and a sack of beef bones would have equivalent value to the coyotes and rodents, and nobody would steal that stuff. I am just glad she is not in charge of something critical like a fast attack submarine.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 14, 2022 •  [Post 12]

I heard a bear drug it out of the park and a kid picked it up
Lefty

Postby Swede » 04 15, 2022 •  [Post 13]

Lefty wrote:I heard a bear drug it out of the park and a kid picked it up

Now that is a "Really" statement. RMNP is over 265 thousand acres and the park service is still looking for the culprit that made off with the head. Maybe it was Yogi Bear and Bobo. :lol:
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 15, 2022 •  [Post 14]

I wonder what he scored, anyone good at photo scoring?

One article said he weighed1000 lbs.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 04 15, 2022 •  [Post 15]

I just read that the rangers have located the head and one antler from Kuhuna. They are still looking for the poacher. All of this to nonsense so the head would be food for some scavengers. :(
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 15, 2022 •  [Post 16]

Swede wrote:I just read that the rangers have located the head and one antler from Kuhuna. They are still looking for the poacher. All of this to nonsense so the head would be food for some scavengers. :(

Stupid, a worse method of wanton waste. And why saw off one side?
Lefty

Postby Swede » 04 15, 2022 •  [Post 17]

FYI: I support affirmative action and EEO. I do not support putting unqualified or even minimally qualified people into important and critical positions. We can train people and prepare them, so they do not make foolish mistakes. The young lady in charge or the park is ultimately responsible even if she delegated the decision to lease Kuhuna to someone else. I suspect she alone made that choice.
Swede