Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Draw tag or OTC

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Draw tag or OTC

Postby Coveyleader » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 1]

So here I am at a crossroads. I can draw a very good unit here in CO this year yet my OTC spot is pulling me back. I've hunted this unit for years. I
Know it as good as anyone and I'm having doubts as to stick with it or dump the 11 points I have so I can start to explore other units. In the last 10 or so years Me and my brother (when he hunts) have killed 15ish elk out of my OTC unit and last year was another two bull year with one being a tank. Anyone been in this situation? There are still some ridges I'd like to explore in my unit, but for the most part the elk cannot hide since I know where they're at and where they go no matter what the pressure is like. This goes back to the saying of knowing your area even though it may only have pockets of elk.

61 sounds fun on paper but I'm not convinced its any better than where I hunt now aside from the numbers of elk. My worry is point creep and the next group of units are 10 or more years away. I sure thought it would be an easy decision but now I'm not so sure.
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Re: Draw tag or OTC

Postby buglmin » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 2]

First of all, what are you building points for? Why did you start building them?
With 11 points, youre only a few years away from a good, quality unit. Why not apply for another preference point, and hunt you OTC unit again this year. Dont waste your points just to get rid of them...
buglmin

Postby cnelk » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Covey
I was in your shoes just last year!
I had 11 PPs and had GMU 61 in my sights.
I told my NR buddies I was going to apply so they went to Alaska salmon fishing instead of traveling to elk hunting.
It all worked out!

I too have a great OTC unit that I have hunted for over 20 years with great success!

And this fall I will be back in my favorite haunts with my buddies!

Since you asked...

Draw the tag with your Pref Points while you can. This next fall the season falls perfectly as its a bit later.
Use it to your advantage
Your OTC unit will be there when you get back to it!

You never know, you may cut 8 tendons in your hand and not be able to go! :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Coveyleader » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I think anyone who hunts OTC and doesn't put in for preference points is really wasting free points if you will. I started collecting points because I could. I was going to burn them a few years back but hunted with a friend in my unit and the next thing you know I'm at 11.

Cnelk has a good point with the season starting late this year. Plus I was thinking bear tag if I draw. I guess my OTC unit is like an old friend that keeps drawing you back. Maybe I could hunt for a cow later. Decisions decisions, I guess it could be worse.
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby easeup » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 5]

good topic mr.covey.
I still wear these same shoes also except on NR feet. my 11 are basically useless except for maybe 3 or 4 units. Depending upon your age, spending those points may be wise thing now while you are healthy and strong. A young man cant see it this way; but there are alot of older elkoholics on this site. Most of them will admit they can see the writing on the wall that the years of high mountain hunting are not going to last too many more years. there is the dilemma. It looks like there is no draw down curve to the point creep problem to any of the better units. Everyone in the game keeps adding their points and the points required continues to grow.

So to add to your consideration, in addition to the problem you mentioned......there are a number of good places I want to hunt that will require only 2 points. If one continues to get points, he eliminates himself from those places and limits himself to only OTC units. Everyone would call us a fool to use 11 points for a hunt only requiring 2. But once the points are spent, at least you could go to some new places every other year or so.

And what if the DOW changes the rules of the game in the next 5 years? Is there any rumor to that?
easeup

Postby easeup » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 6]

bump
did I go overboard on this?
easeup

Postby cnelk » 01 06, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Easeup
The next BigGame Structure meetings will determine the 5 year structure. That will happen in 2014.
It is always interesting so see what changes and what doesn't.

Yes. You are in 'no mans land' with your points. But stick with it. You are too vested to let it go now.
cnelk

Postby mandrroofing » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 8]

can someone give me a link to were i can start building these points for future hunts?lol im a newbe to colorado / elk hunting ...
Thanks guys and sorry for busting in here i just dident want to start a new thread for this lil question.
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby otcWill » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 9]

google CPW and you'll have all you need. You can also get there through the new link for Draw Odds on this site in the top right hand corner of your screen right now.

Easeup, I don't think you're in no mans land. I would look at unit 76 and unit 851 Bosque Del Oso Swa. These are great spots with limited entry and good trophy potential. I wouldn't hold out for 61, 10, 201 unless you are prepared to hold out for a true giant. I see bulls in the 300-340 range every season in otc units and I personally would not shoot anything less than 330 or so in one of these trophy units. Kinda bitter sweet to hunt and have to pass on 280-300 bulls if you've not gotten one or two under your belt prior. In 78 or Bosque, you will have your shot at a 280 + if you put in your time and effort and this is a very realistic hunt for you with your points. Good luck!
otcWill

Postby mandrroofing » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 10]

[quote="otcWill"]google CPW and you'll have all you need. You can also get there through the new link for Draw Odds on this site in the top right hand corner of your screen right now.

Thanks man...
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby cnelk » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 11]

easeup

you can always apply for the 'Hybrid Draw' in a quality unit too, theres always a chance...:)
cnelk

Postby easeup » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 12]

ha ha
I think that would be equivalent to the lotto...:)

I would like to hunt some of the 2 to 3 point areas, but I am sort of locked out as long as a keep playing the point game.
easeup