Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Just say no...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Just say no...

Postby Jhg » 03 11, 2022 •  [Post 1]

One of the biggest challenges facing newer elk hunters after they find them is saying no.

You spent time and leg to find them. It wasn't easy. And now, there they are just down that drainage a little ways on its shadow side. And OH LORDY!, there is a nice bull strutting around with them too. Finally! All your hard work- the reading, the choosing tags, the equipment mastery, the anticipation. Its all coming to a sharp point and you can feel the excitement build inside yourself. You want that bull so bad you can hardly believe it.

Not so fast pilgrim.

It is 4:30. You had a steady upslope on your face as you followed the elk sign and your hunters intuition down a finger ridge but as you are standing there making a plan sometimes you feel it on the back of your neck. At first it was nothing, so brief and light. But now sometimes the down breeze is steady. Yet the upslope always returns and with it your confidence. The bull bugles a tending call. You know that because you have done your homework, listening to every elk vocalization video you could find. The time between breeze shifts seems to be shortening. Really? No, its your imagination, make a plan, the elk are RIGHT THERE just 300 yards. It has been three days finding this herd. Wow that bull sounds big. My buddies back home are gonna eat crow when they see his antlers...

So you go for it. Your stalk is a thing a beauty. Smart, patient, well considered. The bull is making circles around his cows to keep them together. You noticed this as you came closer and it accounts for the changes in where his calls come from. At first you thought he was leaving when he was on the other side of his cows but you understand whats going on now. You set up to catch him the next time he is on your side of the cows. The group has been feeding along, so its been a bit of a challenge to keep yourself unseen while keeping up. Your focus has been like a laser beam on the herd. A lot of time has passed since you found them.

He is coming! You see the tine tips first, then his body flashing in and out of the timber like a ghost. You are in front of your cover like they say to do it you are on your knees like they say to do it you have found shooting lanes like they say to do it. Here he comes! Oh wow what a nice animal! Two more steps he has no idea you are there this is really going to happen! The bull is about to take the step that will put him broadside at 20 yards. But he hesitates, his relaxed body suddenly tense and then he is crashing and flashing away from you, then the other elk also can be heard crashing away. You hear them leaving, taking your heart with them it seems, the last sound way up on the opposite side of the canyon. Then silence.

If anything you are a fighter and the next two days you are back in the drainage hunting hard and long but you never do find that herd of elk again.
Then, the seven days are over before you know it and you are on the long drive home.
---------------------------------
The toughest challenge you will face as a new elk hunter is pulling out when the situation is not in your favor. Whether it is the wind or some other reason, you must do it, difficult as it is. It is one of the most important aspects of being a successful elk hunter. Backing out before the elk know you are there and giving yourself another day to hunt them is as lethal a thing as is your weapon.

Blood on the timber from a bull hunted another day after backing out when the conditions were not right.

13EE104A-C4C8-45AE-8D97-CA7BB06E1616.jpeg
13EE104A-C4C8-45AE-8D97-CA7BB06E1616.jpeg (226.78 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Jhg

Re: Just say no...

Postby 7mmfan » 03 11, 2022 •  [Post 2]

You couldn't be more right. It is super tough. I have bumped more animals than I like to admit by being careless and overly aggressive. I'm learning though!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 03 11, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Right on. And I enjoyed the story. You are a good writer.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 03 12, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Deleted
Jhg

Postby Swede » 03 12, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Jhg, your point on saying no in the situation described is right and to the point. I am wondering if there are other situations some have experienced where they backed off or should have backed off.

I had been working a bull on the ground for over an hour, but he would never come close. For some reason he would answer me, but he would not allow me to get close. He always seemed to be one step ahead of me. The timber was very open and there was a big open meadow I had to cross to close the gap. I looked carefully thinking he would be visible if he was close enough to see me. I knew better but decided to hurry across the meadow that was about 100 yards wide. It is amazing how you can see elk emerge where nothing was a minute before. Of course, all I saw was the north end of a south bound bull. The moral of this story is never cross an opening when pursuing an elk. Stay in the shadows and conceal yourself at all times. They are watching and you may not see them as they are in cover. If you need to go around an opening, then go around or just back off.
Swede

Postby maxracx » 03 12, 2022 •  [Post 6]

One of the toughest things to do in nature is play the wind. it doesn't matter if you are hunting whitetails in WI or elk in the mountains of Wyoming, you ALWAYS have to have the wind in your favor!!!
maxracx

Postby Tigger » 03 14, 2022 •  [Post 7]

If you got within 1 step of shooting that bull, that is pretty dang close and was worth the attempt! In my humble experience, when you really should have pulled out sooner, you spook the herd from 100 yards or more. That is where you made the wrong play at the wrong time. I respectfully submit getting as close as in your scenario is a win. I totally get your point however and it is really important. As hard as it is, just say no, not at this time from this angle.
Tigger

Postby Jhg » 03 14, 2022 •  [Post 8]

My point exactly. But by choosing to close the gap when the wind was so unfavorable our hero was playing a really poor hand and for ignoring those odds blew his chances not only at the moment, but for the rest of the hunt. Memory steak. Yum. I usually take mine with a round house sphincter kick. Self inflicted of course.

I totally am down for getting close and will "risk" it every time but only if the wind is my friend. If a bull with cows, there is plenty of challenge in closing the distance without the spectre of getting winded as well.

Be seen. Be heard. Never be winded.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 03 14, 2022 •  [Post 9]

There are always some risk things will go wrong. The key is to take smart chances.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 03 14, 2022 •  [Post 10]

Great write up!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H