Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Partners

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Partners

Postby Swede » 03 09, 2022 •  [Post 1]

Jhg's post on another thread got me to wondering what others want in a hunting partner.

I am pretty flexible, but there are some things I am going to do regardless of what anyone else does. I sit 10-13+ hours a day in my stand. I like to walk into my stand in the early daylight and come out just before dark. I will come in for lunch, but that is optional. I don't care if you stay up till 2:00AM playing cards and don't get up before 10. I knew of a tree stand hunting party that did just that and were pretty successful getting elk in the afternoon and evening. They just sat the best times in a stand.
I have hunted with guys that want to be in their stands an hour before daybreak. I would get up and go with you if that was your preference. That works for me, but when you go home and leave me in camp, I will be getting to my stand in the early daylight.
I won't be up playing cards until 2:00 AM and sleeping in till10. That does not work for me. It does not fit my hunting style.
In reality I want my independence, and you are welcome to do what you want as long as it does not generally interfere with what I am doing. If you are going to hunt on the ground stay well away from where I go. I will let you know where I will be, so you won't stumble into my location. If you want to hunt there, I always have more than one stand and will go somewhere else.
I don't like hunting with people that want to run into town frequently, and don't ask me to make the run because you forgot something. What you forgot; you will do without. Plan ahead.

P.S. I always appreciate a good cook. I can get by but lay no claim to being especially good.

Would I fit in with your hunting style? Would you be a good partner for me?

Now if you are wondering, I am not seeking a partner. I like my independence and even solitude. Hunting partners and optional. Focusing on the hunt is not.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Hunting Partners

Postby 7mmfan » 03 09, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Good hunting partners are hard to come by for sure. We have a small group of guys are always welcome in camp, and we frequently coordinate together. Here is my main list of requirements.

- Be dependable. If you say you're going to be somewhere at a certain time, be there. If you say you're going to bring something critical to the camp or trip, bring it. Just be dependable.
- Pull your weight. Do the dishes a fair amount. Cook meals, cut firewood, tidy up camp, contribute to the camp as a whole as agreed upon.
- Be willing to help. We generally all hunt on our own throughout the day, but when someone kills an animal, especially if it's in a tough spot, be willing to help pack it out. It may not be needed, but the willingness to do so is expected.
- Be considerate of the others in the group. Like Swede, I really don't care if you stay up late playing cards and drinking, or if you sleep in late, it's your hunt. However if you doing that is keeping others in the group from getting the rest they need or in general not allowing them to have the hunt and trip they want, then it's being inconsiderate of the group.
- DO NOT invite people to camp without discussing it with us. We've worked long and hard to establish the places that we hunt. The last thing I want is someone bringing Joe Schmo along and him spreading the word to all his buddies.

In general, just be a good human. Being dependable, helpful, considerate, and hard working just isn't that much to ask in my opinion.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 03 09, 2022 •  [Post 3]

I can't say much more than the first two post already have.

I don't care if someone has a nip or two of an adult beverage,but don't get drunk. Most drunks are obnoxious.When alcohol comes ,guns are done for the day.

Lack of forethought on getting your game out is not an emergency for me.

If you sweep me with your muzzle, you are gone.Zero tolerance.

If you want my animals to help pack your game out, help take care of them and kick in for the cost of feeding them.

Tell me before the season if won't be hunting the entire season or plan on coming up late and leaving early
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Jhg » 03 09, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:...I don't like hunting with people that want to run into town frequently, and don't ask me to make the run because you forgot something. What you forgot; you will do without. Plan ahead...

One of my own pet peeves.
I set up a hunt a long time ago when young and still sometimes unwilling to stand up for myself. It was a deep woods hunt. First paddle across a lake, hike in 2 miles, sleep in a lean to. 7 days. The guy I invited wanted to hike back to the canoe, paddle a mile one way across the lake, drive 30 minutes into town, every other day. Return to camp in the dark. Ruined the whole experience for me.
Never again.
A hunt partner worth having (I have learned) will actually contribute something tangible, like scouting time, logistics, prep or whatever without being asked more than once during the lead up. If they don't/won't you should then be ok doing it all yourself because that's where that hunt is headed.

Many people recognize a door mat and will use it whenever they can.

2B5ED7C5-3A0E-47EC-B0A5-EE7D97A24ECE.jpeg
2B5ED7C5-3A0E-47EC-B0A5-EE7D97A24ECE.jpeg (133.93 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
Jhg

Postby Jhg » 03 09, 2022 •  [Post 5]

saddlesore wrote:I can't say much more than the first two post already have.

I don't care if someone has a nip or two of an adult beverage,but don't get drunk. Most drunks are obnoxious.When alcohol comes ,guns are done for the day.

Lack of forethought on getting your game out is not an emergency for me.

If you sweep me with your muzzle, you are gone.Zero tolerance.

If you want my animals to help pack your game out, help take care of them and kick in for the cost of feeding them.

Tell me before the season if won't be hunting the entire season or plan on coming up late and leaving early

You are reading my mind. My feelings exactly.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 03 09, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Jhg, I have noticed over the years that those who want to go to town a lot really don't care to hunt. Let them go if they have their own transportation.
Another pet peeve of mine is the constant complainer. They want to run everything, and they are often cheap skates.
Swede

Postby Jhg » 03 09, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I will admit that until just recently I took it personally when a buddy somehow did not follow through on their " earnest commitment" to our future hunt.

I suffer from having a father who was direct, no nonsense and never complained about anything (ESPECIALLY THE WEATHER) or anyone. He was such a good example. I really took it to heart that when you say you will do something, you do it.
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 03 09, 2022 •  [Post 8]

I was a guest on my first, 3rd and 5th elk hunts, and appreciated being able to hunt, And asked and did as much as I could , and made sure I did more than my share.

I know what Im in for when others hunt with me. However archery elk hunting it has just been family and Dave who got me into archery elk .

While Andrew is a 3rd year hunter now he has adapted well,, and has made lots of mistakes not following "my " instruction. But all part of learning. His mistakes were our loss,, but I just got to hunt more :P

I have had "bad" partners waterfowling, but out of hundreds and hundreds of hunts with others was only one that I can think of that was unsafe, and our last hunt together. He shot at a low bird with a group 150 yards across the water

Waterfowling If its my hunt, my field , etc. I tell others before we hunt I'm the Pit boss,,,.I'm the range master, Im the warden,
Most are willing to do about anything and meet expectations to hunt.
One fellow had been a pain. This year he was chastised by another pair that he hunted with, then on a guided hunt the guide kind of gave it to him also. When he whined about the other complaint regarding his actions.

Hunting with me,,, my rules, Safety always first, be ready and on time ( five minutes early)

Simply put do as I tell you :o
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby six » 03 10, 2022 •  [Post 9]

I have hunted with several different people over the years. My biggest complaint over the years has been I don’t want to be a babysitter. A person can be a great whitetail hunter and not be a good woodsman. If your elk hunting you need to be comfortable navigating in the elk woods.

Don’t expect me to be caller everyday either. Oh you don’t have a bugle. You had 11 months to buy one and learn how to use it.

I personally don’t understand why someone would drive 18 or more hours then want to ride around in a truck every other day. Taking game to the meat locker is one thing driving to town for lunch isn’t me. I spend thousands of dollars on hunts every year to get away from that.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Indian Summer » 03 10, 2022 •  [Post 10]

The physical aspects of a partner are a no brainer. Yes… be dependable. Don’t tell me something came up that’s going to change your plans. Especially after we’ve already applied for licenses and I can’t replace you OR if we’ve paid non refundable deposits to someone. Once you commit…. COMMIT! Some people don’t understand that there’s no such thing as a 99% commitment. I have a fair amount of people that would like to hunt from my camp. Most are welcome. But if you screw me once you’ll never set foot anywhere near it again. No second chances.

The other physical aspects are make sure you have the money to do it right. Be prepared to do your share of driving. I don’t expect rookies to know everything but do what you can. Split wood. Feed horses. Keep your corner of the tent somewhat organized. I’m not your mom.

BUT…… to me the mental aspect is more important. So team spirit and mental stability are way more critical than knowing how to saddle your horse etc. A partner who isn’t a positive thinker will affect me more than one who has never ran a chainsaw or ridden a horse or never hunted elk. Negativity is unacceptable to me. I know you’re tired. So am I. But don’t lose perspective of the fact that we’re lucky to be hunting elk in God’s country. Realize that it’s going to get tougher every day as your body wears down and the weather gets ugly. Realize that your confidence might dip a little after not seeing a bull for several days. Most of all realize that nobody especially a new hunter gets a guarantee and you might have to accept the fact that you may not fulfill your dreams this season and go home with an unpunched tag. Also realize that even though that can be a tough pill to swallow you still have to be excited for other partners who were lucky enough to be successful. If you’re not a team player that just won’t happen. Father son teams are the best because they’re truly thrilled at the success of the other person. But I’ve had buddies show up where one of them couldn’t hide the jealousy and got downright bitter about not killing their own elk.

Elk hunting is serious business to me. I know there are hunters who say killing an elk is just a bonus and they’ll be happy just to make memories with friends and family. Not me. I am absolutely there to kill elk and so I’m a machine come hunting season. In order to maintain that attitude we have to push through difficulties. Mental ones. So to me a great partner has to have the ability to laugh when they want to cry. I don’t care what a partner’s goals are or how seriously they take their hunt. Sleep in if you must. Whatever floats your boat as long as you’re a happy camper. But if you come back to camp early or worse yet give up early and throw in the towel make sure you’re ok with that too. I can’t muster up sympathy for a hunter who gets moody because they didn’t kill an elk after they didn’t give it 100%.

Be the partner you’d like to hunt with! Nothing is worse than a shitty elk hunting partner. Nothing is better than good ones!
Attachments
F02161BE-6D21-48B7-8033-57D16F8087FB.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ABQ_Chica » 04 18, 2022 •  [Post 11]

Agree to so much of this! I happened to stumble into some great hunting partners. They were experienced and took me in as a newbie, so I've always tried hard to BE a good hunting partner, too. There are certain things I still can't contribute to in camp, so I try to add value in other ways. For instance, I rely on their 4-wheel drive vehicles to get us in and out of our hunt area each day, so I help pay for gas, take extra turns on cooking or dish duty, supply more food or ice or gear, etc.

We mesh in terms of physical and mental ability, and also stay in communication before and during scouting or hunting, and often all year round. Best of all, we all keep each other in good spirits, whether it's commiserating over missed opportunities or during grueling all-night pack-outs. They've long since become friends. It's been 10 years now, and I know this situation won't last forever, so I feel grateful every year we draw a hunt.

Agreeing on hunting ethics is an added bonus. If I ever have to hunt with someone else, I'll definitely discuss ethics beforehand so we each know where we stand (or where we draw the line). Of course, I'm not talking about illegal activities, just things that fall into gray areas.
ABQ_Chica

Postby Swede » 04 18, 2022 •  [Post 12]

ABQ_Chica wrote: I help pay for gas, take extra turns on cooking or dish duty, supply more food or ice or gear, etc.
ABQ_Chica wrote:we all keep each other in good spirits, whether it's commiserating over missed opportunities or during grueling all-night pack-outs. They've long since become friends.

With qualities like that I am surprised you have not received a marriage proposal.
Swede

Postby ABQ_Chica » 04 18, 2022 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:With qualities like that I am surprised you have not received a marriage proposal.

LOL, it's happened! But as fate would have it, I've long been happily married to a man who does *not* enjoy the great outdoors. He does, however, realize I love being out in the wild, and is happy to let me spend time in the elkwoods. He knows I don't trust just anyone, so it took several years to find mentors I felt comfortable enough to hunt with. And he's gotten to know them and their wives/girlfriends, too. That all might flummox some people, but it works for us, and I think we're both kind of relieved that I'm not hunting solo for big game.
ABQ_Chica

Postby Swede » 04 18, 2022 •  [Post 14]

Well Chica, keep on hunting. :D You remind me of a young neighbor lady. She got married in August and went hunting within two weeks with her dad and grandpa. She left her new husband home and got a nice 5X5 bull that season.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 04 18, 2022 •  [Post 15]

ABQ_Chica wrote:
Swede wrote:With qualities like that I am surprised you have not received a marriage proposal.

LOL, it's happened! But as fate would have it, I've long been happily married to a man who does *not* enjoy the great outdoors. He does, however, realize I love being out in the wild, and is happy to let me spend time in the elkwoods. He knows I don't trust just anyone, so it took several years to find mentors I felt comfortable enough to hunt with. And he's gotten to know them and their wives/girlfriends, too. That all might flummox some people, but it works for us, and I think we're both kind of relieved that I'm not hunting solo for big game.

Long time no see! I hope you are well and that your elk hunting is progressing. There’s no question you have what it takes to be an asset to any elk camp. You have a great attitude. Best of luck.
Indian Summer

Postby ABQ_Chica » 04 19, 2022 •  [Post 16]

Swede wrote:Well Chica, keep on hunting. :D You remind me of a young neighbor lady. She got married in August and went hunting within two weeks with her dad and grandpa. She left her new husband home and got a nice 5X5 bull that season.

So you're saying there's hope for me in finally getting an elk?! :lol: Good for her...that's pretty impressive!
ABQ_Chica

Postby ABQ_Chica » 04 19, 2022 •  [Post 17]

Indian Summer wrote:Long time no see! I hope you are well and that your elk hunting is progressing. There’s no question you have what it takes to be an asset to any elk camp. You have a great attitude. Best of luck.

Long time, indeed! Thanks for the kind words. Although I haven't gotten an elk yet, being part of camp and helping others get their elk is still a pretty good consolation prize.

I hope you're well too, and that you enjoy some great hunts this year!
ABQ_Chica

Postby Indian Summer » 04 19, 2022 •  [Post 18]

ABQ_Chica wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:Long time no see! I hope you are well and that your elk hunting is progressing. There’s no question you have what it takes to be an asset to any elk camp. You have a great attitude. Best of luck.

Long time, indeed! Thanks for the kind words. Although I haven't gotten an elk yet, being part of camp and helping others get their elk is still a pretty good consolation prize.

I hope you're well too, and that you enjoy some great hunts this year!

No elk yet… hmm. Start buying points in Wyoming. Once you have 2 or 3 come back here and find me. I’ll find someone with an extra or two so you can get a license and we’ll get you the elk that you deserve. You’ve worked hard! I can’t take it anymore!!! I can’t remember do you gun hunt or bow only?
Indian Summer

Postby ABQ_Chica » 04 20, 2022 •  [Post 19]

Indian Summer wrote:No elk yet… hmm. Start buying points in Wyoming. Once you have 2 or 3 come back here and find me. I’ll find someone with an extra or two so you can get a license and we’ll get you the elk that you deserve. You’ve worked hard! I can’t take it anymore!!! I can’t remember do you gun hunt or bow only?

I hunt with a longbow.
Honestly my biggest challenge is just getting time off work. Although I almost had shots last year on weekends, there would have been MANY more opportunities had I been able to hunt a full week or so (source: trailcam at my stand :cry: )

Thanks for the offer to help--I'd love to hunt in Wyoming someday (and fly fish there, too)! I haven't looked seriously into buying points because of the whole time-off issue, but maybe I'll speak with my bosses about options.

In the meantime, we were lucky to draw our elk hunt here in NM, so maybe THIS will finally be my year. (LOL, I say that EVERY year!)
ABQ_Chica

Postby Indian Summer » 04 21, 2022 •  [Post 20]

I know you Laura… I bet your bosses are thankful to have you and if you are passionate about something enough to ask they’ll grant you your wish.
Indian Summer

Postby Fridaythe13th » 04 21, 2022 •  [Post 21]

Zero issues ever it's a vacation, enjoy your friends, family, hunting buddies, neighbors or whomever makes your trip fun. I hunt everyday but not all day everyday my feet need a break a trip to town once a week to get a burger or water for camp or fine with me. Some of my best time are having a couple extra drinks after a good pack out.

Make some friends out there and good luck this fall
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Billy Goat » 05 01, 2022 •  [Post 22]

this is a great thread. I've been very fortunate to have hunted with lots of folks, most of which were either family, or lifelong friends. we're pretty selective in who gets invited to participate. We've had a few folks come who didnt really love the experience, but once they didnt love it..... didnt ruin it for anyone else.

our group is getting older too, so we've just this year invited a younger generation (3) to join us. all are family, and experienced, passionate hunters. I hope they find in the mountains the magic of the Lords creation that I have.

Three times in the past 4 years we've had 3 generations in camp (me, my dad, my son). Dads got cancer pretty bad and wont likely return. Son starts college this fall (TAMU) so cant make it the next 4. I'll miss them both. One taught me to hunt, and the other definitely caught the elk fire. :)

elk camp is the best 2 weeks of my year. :)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Indian Summer » 05 02, 2022 •  [Post 23]

This year I have my favorite type of partners. It is also my favorite kind of client when I’m selling hunt plans. Guys who have several elk hunts under their belts but have never killed an elk. They have the gear. They are no strangers to being in the mountains. They know how to hunt hard. And best of all after a handful of unpunched tags they will truly cherish and never forget that moment when they walk up to their dead bull laying on the ground.

Like most of my clients their prior experience is in Colorado. Two years ago they had Wyoming cow tags and struck out. What! They dragged a camper out and snow forced them to relocate part of the way through their hunt. They had one guy in camp who drew a bull tag with zero points. As elk hunting goes the guy with the bull tag (general license) saw cows and passed and the guys with the cow tags saw a couple big bulls. Close too.

They drove to my camp one day to ask where they should relocate their camper to. I was caping out a 6 point bull on the tailgate. They were excited just to see it. So as you’d imagine they’re really fired up to hunt my area this year with me there to help them with daily game plans. The only issue I see right now is that the one guy is so desperate I’m worried he’s going to shoot the first cow he sees. 5 years worth of points and a general license to drop a cow would be a terrible decision in the area he’s hunting. I think I’m going to saddle up one or two days before the season starts and show him a few bugling bulls so he realizes the potential of where he is. If he shoots a cow anyway I’ll make him cook and clean all week for punishment. :roll: :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 03, 2022 •  [Post 24]

I'm like Joe. Elk hunting is serious business. I pretty much agree with what everyone has stated above. How ever I have two strict rules I expect a partner to abide by. Absolutely NO alcohol and no mechanical broadheads.

Other than that, just share the load and be a good hunter and friend.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 05 03, 2022 •  [Post 25]

With the exception of my wife and three daughters I would do what ever was needed to get them in the field or fishing. My wife was an accomplished marksman, and big mule deer hunter, backpacker, pedal bike, motor cycle and jeepster, so our daughters grew up with that exposure.

Ive changed over the years , I'm a whole lot less into the burn-it-at-both-ends, killing another, no excuse , every thing was absolutely, every waking moment, no-mistakes , no screw-ups, Dawn-to-dusk plus three or four hours on each side.

A big part of my changes was in part due to becoming a teacher and Scout master. Most people didnt have the skills I had, but simple "training" they got it.
When I was a kid, I did everything with the older kids, once I got older,, only the young guys could keep up.
But I also tended to find and hang around like mindedness type of outdoorsmen.
Safe and enjoy it. And if your in better than me physical condition,,, Ill expect you to work harder than me
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 05 03, 2022 •  [Post 26]

Yes to the no mechanicals! Not debatable.

If I had to pick one characteristic it would be mental toughness. That means no giving up and when things aren’t going as planned maintain some sense of humor. And if things really start going bad NO PANICKING! I motivate my partners. Always giving them pep talks and setting them up with game plans. The last thing I’ll tolerate is someone in camp having a meltdown and dragging others down. Elk hunting is challenging enough without that. I’ve seen that too many times as an outfitter to let it happen in my ow camp.
Indian Summer

Postby Jhg » 05 03, 2022 •  [Post 27]

Indian Summer wrote:...The last thing I’ll tolerate is someone in camp having a meltdown and dragging others down...

When I was guiding the last night was always special. We chose names based on a persons behavior or some unforgettable comment they made. Some of the names were hilarious and it was a lot of fun to laugh at ourselves and realize how special the trip was and how much we all got from being in it together.
One trip, the last night, this one dude would not participate in the names. He made some nasty comments in front of everyone about how the trip sucked and it was bullshit being around a fire and the dirt and the no running water and the toilet oh-em-gee the toilet!!!!. He then, I kid you not, stripped off all his clothes and burned them. Right there in front of all of us yelling and swearing and pretty much losing it.

Some people do not belong in the outdoors.

And there are a lot of men who are really just 200lb infants, who when things do not go their way they act just like 5 year olds. You can recognize them they are the ones who need to establish early on, with bluster and with brags, their standing.
Give me a calm, quiet individual who walks over and grabs that other heavy bag or asks how they can help or will actually ask you to show them how to do something because just like you they don't know everything yet (even though as guide they often think you do know everything).
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 05 03, 2022 •  [Post 28]

Indian Summer wrote:Y dragging others down. .

Your stuck with clients.

I just have a solid excuse with those types of people.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 05 03, 2022 •  [Post 29]

Jhg wrote:Some people do not belong in the outdoors.
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Ive been pretty smart about knowing when to weed someone out before they end up doing anything with me.

My wife just wants me to hunt with anyone,,, not sure if its because she doesnt want to hunt with me or she is concerned about me. It has maybe been 9 years, My ecclesiastic leader said I had to tell a few where I was elk hunting ,, so they could find me if things went bad.
Lefty