Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How Do You Know?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Do You Know?

Postby Swede » 03 08, 2022 •  [Post 1]

On the internet there are a lot of people writing about how to hunt. There is no place I see that gets more coverage than elk hunting. Is everything you read true. Is it true everywhere or just in certain areas or at special times? How do you know the difference between advice that is good for you and no good for anything? How do you know if what you believe is actually right or just a mere coincidence?

Here are a few things I look for.:

1. Has the hunter not only a lot of experience, but also proven success in hunting situations you can relate to. I talked to a fellow years ago about an article he wrote. He admitted that his hunt was behind a high fence and there was really no hunt to it. He was just showing how good his broadhead was.
2. Does what this advocate says have multiple experiences where it turned out this way. Once or twice may be just a coincidence. Even though most of us cannot prove beyond a doubt something works or does not work, is there a pattern the advocate has observed?
3. Does what someone writes agree with your experience. If you have little or no experience, you have no basis on which to judge. In these cases, you can try what you read about. Sooner or later, you will see it or it doesn't fit; at least in the time or place you are hunting. Years ago I rad where a hunter claimed he urinated on a game trail. Soon after he walked off he saw an elk coming and when it hit the spot where he relieved himself the elk bolted away. He claimed it was the scent of his urine that did it. That is odd. I have urinated out of my tree stand and had elk, deer and bear come by with absolutely no noticeable effect. I suspect the elk smelled the hunter and did not notice his urine scent. Is it possible that there was something about his urine scent that caused an adverse reaction? I doubt it, but admit I can't prove it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: How Do You Know?

Postby 7mmfan » 03 08, 2022 •  [Post 2]

There are exceptions to every rule. Time of year, time of day, cloudy, sunny, windy, rainy, pressure the day before or week before, pack of wolves, etc.... So what worked for one guy enough times for him to establish a pattern may or may not hold true for you in your given circumstance. However, if you read enough of the accepted patterns that people have established, you can begin to form a basic footprint of how elk behave, and apply it to your specific situation. I hunted elk exclusively in WA for over 20 years, primarily modern firearm spike bull hunts with 20000 other hunters. It was always a game of luck. We did a lot of sitting in escape routes and sanctuary areas that they fled to. Success was extremely low. I remember reading about elk hunting and how other guys did it out of state, glassing herds at day light, making your move, waiting until the afternoon when they came back out, etc. etc... and that never happened for us. I had written it off as fantasy. Then I went elk hunting in Idaho. And I started seeing elk acting like elk. I was able to quickly review many of those "rules" that I'd read as a young hunter and form patterns on the elk I was watching, and we began killing elk. So in that case, we needed to find a place that fit that type of hunting for the rules to apply. In WA spike season, none of those rules apply.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Jhg » 03 08, 2022 •  [Post 3]

There is no substitute for time in the field. However, I realize not all of us can use observation as a reliable tool to sift through the avalanche that is elk hunting opinion.

When I was first getting into archery elk I sure didn't know what I was doing most of the time. I did know enough to pay attention. I read a bunch of elk hunting stuff, but not so much that my head would pop off. That helped weed out the bs because I didn't lose the woods sense I had gained hunting whitetails.

Eventually I began to tailor information I read or listened to for the way I hunt. Even though I know about and consider everything I come across in regards to hunting elk, I do not focus on information I will never use, like long range hunting. I have no interest in learning much about it because most of the information is not geared toward getting close to animals, my main interest.

I suppose the biggest asset anyone can have when trying to figure out what information to trust and what to dismiss, is don't dismiss any of it until you can verify in the field. After awhile, a lot of information online thins out as just noise. A lot of stuff about elk hunting get recycled again and again until somehow it becomes lore and then gospel. There are a lot of ways to approach hunting elk that will lead to success. Try not to follow the herd. Think for yourself.
I would tell a new hunter to understand themselves first and why they are out there beyond killing an elk. Do they prefer timber or open country? Walking miles and miles or driving around a lot? Like to be alone? Want ten guys in camp? Hunt all day or quit at ten, go back to camp until 3?
Know thyself.
Jhg

Postby Tigger » 03 09, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I see all kinds of advice. The funny part is when I hear someone spouting off about something they have heard like it is gospel. One common one I hear is that elk can no longer be called in; they are all call shy. Another is they are all up high (or down low) because I am not seeing any elk. Some areas are tougher than others and there may be a nugget of truth in those statements, but absolutes are not common in elk hunting.
Tigger